Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #1

Stick with 16x7 wheels, or upgrade?

I am looking to get some good on/off road tires for an E350 Quigley. I was planning on having the stock 16x7 wheels powdercoated and then getting some new tires installed, though I am not sure if the width will limit my tire options. What tires are people running with this rim? What is the largest tire width that I can run? I plan on getting something in the 33" range.

Thanks!
Dave

Davelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #2

Re: Stick with 16x7 wheels, or upgrade?

I went through this when I put new tires on my Quigley. I asked a lot of questions. I wanted the right size, the right load rating, and look.

I got an email response from Alan at SMB and he said 305's would rub on my 07 Quigley conversion, so I went with the 285's. I found Ford 17x7.5 aluminum wheels off an 06 Super Duty for $100 on Craigslist. Same size as what came on the Quigley conversion, just aluminum.

Even though the front wheel wells look big on the Quigley 4x4, they quickly fill up. If your tires are too big, the initial contact point will be in a hard right turn, on the passenger side of the van, where your mudflap would attach.

I'm glad I stuck with stock sized wheels. The tires have incredible grip, the size is right since I do not want to install fender extenders.

33" maximum is your best bet. There are a lot of options. There's nothing wrong with BFG if you get an E rated tire. 285/70 17 are available in E. I got the Nitto Terra Grappler. Very happy with them.

One negative thing about whatever tire you choose: they wear out.

j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #3

I've Nitto Terra grapplers in 285/75/16 on my F250 with 7" rims and Toyo 305/70/16 MTs on my SMBs 8" wide rims.
Attached Thumbnails
2857516.jpg   3057016.jpg  
Old 08-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #4

Awesome, thanks guys! I was not sure if the 285's would be too wide for the 7" rim, but apparently not.

Dave
Old 08-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #5

Double check the tire Mfg's specs, I believe BFG and Nitto require at least a 7.5" wide rim for 285's. (BFG increased the required rim width to 7.5" several years ago.)

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #6

You're right John K. I checked my specs. My wheels are 17x7.5, I corrected my post.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #7

OOOOOOOh. I see how you guys are!
No, that works too. Who doesn't like getting justification for additional purchases

Thanks!
Dave
Old 08-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #8

I love the way wide tires look but love even more how thin tires drive. After owning these 255/85/16's for a while I really like them. They will fit your rim perfectly and have the height you want:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/s ... hp?t=28066
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:16 AM   #9

I really like the old school tall tire look. Can everyone say Ground Hawg!

When I started asking all the questions about what tire to use, this option was shot down by forums. FTE, SMB and Expedition Portal. Flotation overruled the old school idea of a narrow dig down to firm ground tire. Tall skinny tires are great when you have a lot of ground clearance like portal axles for example. But today lots of tire options will keep you on top of the mud, snow or sand, and still provide all the load carrying capacity you could need.

E-rated tires were just not available in so many sizes as they are today. A 285 or 305 and bigger can today be just as firm on the road as these old school tires were.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #10

Thats true about wide tires. I love them off road because you seem to stay on top of the little bumps instead of falling into every one of them. I also like the way a wide tire feels when it's aired way down. I run 35x13.5x15's on my jeep for these reasons but it's not a daily driver. A wide tire on the road is heavier and has greater rolling and wind resistance . It's harder on steering joints, power steering and breaks. So for me 500 miles of road to drive 20 off road it makes sense to buy whats better for the road and vehicle and still OK off road. Basically it's and endless debate and I use both types of tires. I went with skinny on the van for the obove reasons but no doubt a wide tire is IMHO better off road and it definatly looks better on the road. I also live at high altitude and have 3.73 gears V10 so even the slightest loss in percieved power from heavy wide tires was unaceptable. If I had the 7.3 I'd consider some monster meats for sure.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote