Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #11

Re: Swing DOWN tire carrier in rear hitch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350

Why not put a 2x1 sq tube inverted V-frame on the outside of the tire. With the tire over the bumper (leaving the frame exposed for hanging more stuff?), so that when the tire rack is down on the ground, the tire is facing up (so easy to attach and detach) and when the tire is up the lug nuts securing it are facing inwards and inaccessible?
Brilliant idea with lots of benefits...

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #12

With the Jeep setup (tire going from vertical to horizontal) another bonus when the tire is down it can easily double as a nice round table

Cheers
Mr. D
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Would it be possible to add another receiver and have somebody fab up a swing arm that utilizes the same tail gate bearing support that Zeta had built? I would think 2 receivers should be able to hold a tire and the heavy duty bearing and support is pre made I think (Zeta?). That bearing setup would be lower and will swing further than an aluminess gate and would let you have access by just having to open 2 gates.

Attached Thumbnails
zeta.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #14

I like that tail gate bearing support and would love to see close up pictures if (Zeta) has the time to post them.
My van is an extended van... So, could I ask how such a van handles with the tire back there -- at the end of the pendulum as it were? I have been doing just the opposite and am in the process of modifying my van to move the weight of accessories, etc. forward to between the axles.

If available, I would eventually like to buy a narrower lighter tire on a lighter rim for more weight savings.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

I agree and weight will be a factor that varies from van to van but look at all the weight some add to the tail. A tire with the same height/Diameter but as narrow as possible is what I would also go with for the weight savings. Some put motorcycles on the back along with everything else they haul. BTW there is a thread on his new tail gate and pics in his gallery

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #16

Yeah, the frame on the outside is a good idea. Guys make stinger-type looking things for flop down carriers that are essentially like that. I could see it having a hinged arm hanging down, which could pivot out and act as a stop so the tire fell down and stopped at about bumper level.

I used to carry a dirt bike back there and that was probably 300lbs. total. You could tell. I've been looking at narrower tires for just that reason.

I've also carried one on a roof rack right over the cab. Noisy, and I'm not sure the gutters are up to the strain over time. And a real PITA to get the tire off. Especially without it going down through the windshield