Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #31

Re: The Daily Grind...ing noise

I had the same issue and a fluid change combined with the correct amount of Ford limited slip additive cured it.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #32
Site Team

Garage

Yes I never re-posted that the problem was not using the correct amount of limited slip additive.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #33

When I first got my van it had the chatter while turning from a stop as well, it has a Ford factory limited slip diff. I changed the fliud using some AutoZone diff additive and non synthetic fluid and it only worked for about 5,000 miles maybe less.
I drained it all out again and put in Ford additive with synthetic lube and it has been fine for over 15,000 now.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #34
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
THE "SEARCH" Feature comes through AGAIN!!!

I think BHauler or Mike or even you DaveB...told me about try "search" first! TIME SAVER! & BINGO

Anyway...I have been hearing the grinding for several years on and off(not metal to metal but rubber sounding...almost like my sidewalls/knobby tread was making the sound as I turned) from stopping FROM highway driving, turning to go get gas/food....I just remembered to check the Forum...BINGO!

I SWEAR it is from the front end and could feel it a bit in my steering...so from what I am reading and what I feel/hear, I am finding it hard to believe it is from the rear....could it be my front differential (is that what you found Bhauler)? And As I understand, I just need some more additive?!?! I have changed diff fluid at 30K on the back and again (BOTH this time) at 58K...maybe I didn't hear for awhile, but I do again? I was SURE it would be front bearings (but there is no metal squeal) or U-Joints or something that would cost serious $'s!?!

Anybody really figure it out? Or is concensus going with the additive fix?
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:16 PM   #35
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
i forgot to ask DB...is there a proper (known) ratio to the mix
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:07 PM   #36

Garage
First time I changed the fluid in the AtlasII I wasn't aware I should be using an additive - Immediately after it developed a slight noise. Called Atlas and they recommended an additive...Amsoil.
Amsoil has a gear oil additive that works great (one bottle in each Diff. & Transfer case).
Old 01-30-2020, 01:09 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
i forgot to ask DB...is there a proper (known) ratio to the mix
My ford manual has the following note when using Motorcraft synthetic rear diff fluid on a Dana 60:

Quote:
Dana limited-slip axle (M60) requires 6 fl oz. (177 ml) of Additive Friction Modifier XL-3 or equivalent meeting Ford specification EST-M2C118-A.
I added this to my already filled diff, which is not what you're supposed to do (friction modifier first, then fill to "1/4 inch to 9/16 inch (6 mm to 14 mm) below bottom of fill hole" per the manual).

Somehow I missed all of these notes when I resealed my rear diff. When the noise started, I saw this thread, added 6oz of XL-3, and the slight binding/chatter when turning from a stop went away. Looks like technically my diff is overfilled, but after 10k miles I haven't seen any seeping so I don't think it's an issue?