Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #1

Thinking of doing my own conversion. Need to see a local

Hey everybody.

My first post on this forum. Thanks to the creators, lots of good information here.

I recently purchased a 2001 sportsmobile with the 7.3L diesel. I will be converting it to 4x4 soon and was seriously thinking of doing it myself. I would really love to take a look at a Quadvan or Salem Kroger conversion to help me decide. Anyone interested in letting me take a peek at your van? Anyone do their own "newer" model conversion?

I'm in Tucson, AZ.

Thanks to all who reply.

tom.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:34 PM   #2

Tom, I should be in Phoenix (chandler area) with my brand new S&K conversion during the weekend before labor day. If you feel driving up.

I had planned to camp in the area that weekend, but I think the inaugural trip has become the grand canyon, and then up to Reno.

-B
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 04:57 PM   #3

That's great Buji, thanks for the offer.

I work that weekend but may be able to get away for half a day. I saw your picture a few times, but didn't really pay attention to when it was finished.

You are welcome to camp in our yard if you need to. I'd offer the guest room, but I doubt we could pry you out of the new Sportsmobile. We live 30 miles North of Tucson in Oracle.

PM me if you would when you know the exact date I can come by.

I know the Grand Canyon area well, I can suggest a few free camping areas just outside of the main town if you are interested.

Tom.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #4
Site Team

Buji,

If you have a loose schedule while in AZ, I strongly suggest the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Much fewer people, more remote, and far less touristy. Regardless, you won't go wrong with either rim of the Grand Canyon. One of my best trips there, was when I was a teenager with my family, celebrating Thanksgiving at a snowy South Rim.

Herb
Old 08-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #5

I'll 2nd what Herb said about the North Rim. We really enjoy it. The South Rim is like a city of 10,000 people. Busy, busy, busy.

While the North Rim is quiet (no TV, no cell phones, limited visitors), both rims have excellent hiking trails. We took a 20 mile hike from our campsite out the Widforss Trail and only saw 4 other people on the whole trail! The South Rim has more trails to hike and a shuttle bus service to reach the trailheads and viewpoints. Both rims are worth visiting, just avoid the South Rim until mid-October or later to miss the worst of the crowds.

Last Fall we spent 2 months at various National Parks in the Southwest. Park for a week and hike. Never started the van for the week. Even parked in partial sun, the solar panel kept our house batteries charged and the refrig (12V) running for the week. Love that solar panel!

Another park with excellent hiking is Zion, as long as you avoid Angels Landing, there are few crowds. Biggest difference between Zion and the Grand Canyon(s) is at Zion you hike up and return down; at the Grand Canyon you hike down and return up!

Enjoy your visit no matter where you go!!!!

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #6

solar

Hi Mike, I agree with your comments on solar panels. They take the worry out of batteries (provided your system is balanced) and are definately worth the $$$. Much better than gensets unless you've got a lot of A/C appliances or like to park in the woods.

Philrod
philrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #7

Panion, Bronco, Mike

Is boondocking at the edge of the canyon possible, say here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...1a52a4752fbd96
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #8

If it is in the National Forest, you can do 'dispersed camping'. If it is in the Park, no.

If you want to camp near the rim of the canyon and have some views of the river, try Toroweap. Do a websearch and check it out. The camprground is in the Park, but no entry fees or camping fees. 3000' straight down to the river.

It is one of our favorite places.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #9

Buji, It's been years since I camped on the North Rim. National Forest is the key. All we did was take a dirt road off of the main road when we were in National Forest lands. Main road being the one that goes to the North Rim Lodge. We ended up in the forest right on the edge of the rim all by ourselves.

Really looking forward to checking out your van. Thanks again for letting me meet up.

tom.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #10

Are you not interested in the SMB 4x4 for some reason?