Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2016, 08:49 PM   #41

Garage
Yes, very few 4x4 vans up here and SMB's are even more rare. I think it has something to do with the way Ford/SMB registers their VIN's with Transport Canada.

ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:19 AM   #42

Sportsmobile never registered as a manufacturer of vehicles in Canada.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 01-25-2016, 07:47 PM   #43

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ert01 View Post
Yes, very few 4x4 vans up here and SMB's are even more rare. I think it has something to do with the way Ford/SMB registers their VIN's with Transport Canada.
Transport Canada is sticky when it comes to vehicle modifications. It's not as simple to just buy a vehicle in the states and ship it up to Canada and think your Golden. When I was looking to upgrade my van I got a little education when it comes to importing modified vehicles. This is an example. Not too long before I had my then converted by sportsmen 4 x 4, Brady showed me what they had to do to import a previously converted van from the US. It boiled down to removing the entire 4 x 4 conversion and returning the van to a stock chassis state. At that point the vehicle could be certified and allowed into Canada. After the vehicle was certified all the 4 x 4 parts were reinstalled. What a PIA! That's the only way that it could of been insured. Now if you live in Canada and modify it in Canada there are no issues. Go figure. If companies from the US want to provide fully completed conversions into Canada they must do all the crash testing and what ever else transport Canada requires. Anyone got an extra few hundred grand.

Just thought I'd share
cheers
Darryl
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:12 PM   #44

All of this gets tossed out the window when you show up with a 4x4 van done as a factory option. No problem. Also once they are over 15 years old the rules are relaxed. The only issue I have ever had with my 12 imports from the U.S. was getting the 32 year old 4x4 van insured. The fact that is was ex government and converted by a company still in business with an active website helped immensely.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:10 PM   #45

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
All of this gets tossed out the window when you show up with a 4x4 van done as a factory option. No problem. Also once they are over 15 years old the rules are relaxed. The only issue I have ever had with my 12 imports from the U.S. was getting the 32 year old 4x4 van insured. The fact that is was ex government and converted by a company still in business with an active website helped immensely.

Granted, I guess my comment was for newer vehicles. BTW Quigley is the only company who has Transport Canada (TC) certification (you can look it up). Here is the link: Foreign Manufacturers of New Canadian Specification Vehicles Registered in Transport Canada’s Appendix G Pre-clearance Program Everyone else doesn't. So they are the only company that does a 4x4 conversion in the US that can export into Canada simply. That doesn't mean that you can't do it but you need to look into what needs to be done to satisfy TC. The last thing you need is to have your new purchase stopped at the border. Now if you import something like a Ujoint kit and install it yourself then there is no problem. It is only when the conversion is done in the US that you need to be aware. I only hope that this helps others.
Cheers
Darryl
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:15 PM   #46

Riv.ca says only new Quigley conversions are allowed. Meaning you can't bring in a newer unit not done as a new drop ship through Ford.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Thanks. I have to get up that way after I retire in-uh....10 days Good people, close distances & cheap fuel are all nice reasons for a trip but having someone who knows the area just makes the excursion.
Uhmmm Dave, now that your retired, how about a quick trip North? See my new thread in trip reports, "Driving to Alaska".
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Uhmmm Dave, now that your retired, how about a quick trip North? See my new thread in trip reports, "Driving to Alaska".
Are you coming to the island again Jeff? Man it has been nasty around Port Alice lately with all the water we've gotten! Flooded highway, closed highway, tree's down and multiple slides! The night I came home the highway was closed, I didnt have my canopy on the truck and came to a down tree, had to build ramps over the tree with scrap wood laying around. Got it done but it was some work.

Attached a couple photos from my ride the next day.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20161109_131454.jpg   IMG_20161109_132812.jpg  
chriswh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswh86 View Post
Are you coming to the island again Jeff?
Attached a couple photos from my ride the next day.
It's possible, but will depend a lot on the ferry schedule's and I've yet to work that out. Would you have time to come to the mainland do some exploring and perhaps take the ferry back from Prince Rupert to the island?

We have had plenty of crappy weather here too, the wind blew hard enough to destroy a bunch of stuff in camp last week, I'm still recovering.

As for your dirt bike, I must say I have never seen anyone towing a trailer behind one, at least you shouldn't run out of beer, but you B.C. guys certainly do things differently. How does it do on jumps? Oh, and thanks for the reminder, I need to get a new chain saw before I go.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:47 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
It's possible, but will depend a lot on the ferry schedule's and I've yet to work that out. Would you have time to come to the mainland do some exploring and perhaps take the ferry back from Prince Rupert to the island?

We have had plenty of crappy weather here too, the wind blew hard enough to destroy a bunch of stuff in camp last week, I'm still recovering.

As for your dirt bike, I must say I have never seen anyone towing a trailer behind one, at least you shouldn't run out of beer, but you B.C. guys certainly do things differently. How does it do on jumps? Oh, and thanks for the reminder, I need to get a new chain saw before I go.
Most likely not Jeff unfortunately. Still in between jobs as they say and working to get a business off the ground

Trailer is working great! I went out today with the 291 saw in the basket today. No tree's down though but I took the camera gear with me as well
chriswh86 is offline   Reply With Quote