Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
I'm about to bump up to 17s from 16s to fit bigger brakes. Just waiting for the Discount Tire memorial day sale. There are way more options in tires in 18" but I'm a fan of more sidewall and can't stomach the exponential increase in price of both rubber and wheel.

I've been a fan of the Duratrac but have become less enamored with wear. The are increasingly noisy, drifty, with more sidewall roll in corners. This in a 16 but off-road they are great. But, not offered E-rated in a 17; only 18.

The short list is the newer BFG T/A KO2 or either one of the Toyos. A/T2 Extreme or R/T. I can easily join the group in a sea of the dominant BFG users out there and most seem happy. But is anyone not happy with their Toyos? The A/T2 does not seem to be a very aggressive off-road tire but apparently kills on-pavement driving. It also has a much harder rubber compound than the duratracs and scores high marks for longevity. The R/T is a compromise tire between a mud and all terrain tire but has very favorable reviews. However, they are very heavy. 74lb versus 65lb for the BFG. However, it's also closer to a true 35" tire (34.8 diam) than the 315/70/17 BFG which measures 34.4".

Rim of choice is the Method Grid or Mesh. How bout it Toyo owners? Happy or wish you had gone BFG or something else? Or, perhaps even coughed up the coin for 18" wheels. Then, Cooper ST/Maxx is an option E-rated as well as the GY Duratrac.
I used to run the BFG KOs and loved them. Quiet on pavement and pretty darn good traction, even in snowy conditions. But I kept rock breaking them, right through the tread. So I went to the Toyo M/Ts. No rock breaks since, and I've had the tires several years. But much louder on pavement. And the front end of the van felt more stable - the sidewalls of the Toyos are REALLY stiff - even when aired down. Tire size LT285/70R17 in both cases.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:24 AM   #192

Everybody around here seems to be running KO2's on their work trucks and wearing them out FAST. The feeling I'm getting is they are fine on 1/2 ton stuff but if you have a heavy work truck or van they may not be the best choice. I like them too and can't decide whether or not they will be my next van tire since they won't see daily use.

I had Duratracs on a truck recently. Amazing but loud.

I've heard nothing but good about ST Maxx's and they look awesome too.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #193

I think Toyo builds good tires, Although I got really short life (15k) on there AT. I would buy there RT or MT again but not the AT. I have KO2s on both my van and 3500 SRW Dodge and they are both wearing really well so far.
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:49 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleSteve View Post
I think Toyo builds good tires, Although I got really short life (15k) on there AT. I would buy there RT or MT again but not the AT. I have KO2s on both my van and 3500 SRW Dodge and they are both wearing really well so far.
Was that the older iteration or the A/T2? The Extreme version also has slightly deeper tread and a more aggressive side wall. By most accounts Toyo makes a long mileage tire with very stiff sidewalls.

My last set of BFGs were not the best at wear but that was the older version. I'm undecided and suffering from analysis paralysis. I'm also reading reports similar to that of 86Scotty of fast wear on the newer BFGs.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:13 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Was that the older iteration or the A/T2? The Extreme version also has slightly deeper tread and a more aggressive side wall. By most accounts Toyo makes a long mileage tire with very stiff sidewalls.

My last set of BFGs were not the best at wear but that was the older version. I'm undecided and suffering from analysis paralysis. I'm also reading reports similar to that of 86Scotty of fast wear on the newer BFGs.
It was the newer extreme version. I live on curvy mountain roads so my tires are typically shorter lived but usually get at least 25-30k out of a tire. KO2s on that truck already have 14k and around 60% life left. The K02 on the van are at 22k and have more than that.
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #196

Garage
We are looking for tires too. Probably going with Method 17" wheels. The BFG All Terrain T/A KO2's. LT 265/70/17 were recommended but the Load Range E that we need only comes with white lettering- we want all black tires no white. any other recommendations for all black tires?
Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #197

You should just be able to turn the white letters to the inside and the black letters out I believe?
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:48 AM   #198
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe View Post
We are looking for tires too. Probably going with Method 17" wheels. The BFG All Terrain T/A KO2's. LT 265/70/17 were recommended but the Load Range E that we need only comes with white lettering- we want all black tires no white. any other recommendations for all black tires?
As long as those tires aren't directional, can you live with the white on the inside edge of the tires? They won't stay very white for long.

Herb
Old 05-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #199

I wouldn't be so presumptive as to say "great minds think alike" Herb but maybe similar minds.... For what its worth the tires in my avatar are 265/70/17 E rated KO2s with the white letters turned inside.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #200

Garage
last pair of k02's I bought had no white lettering on either side. they were 315/70/17's. the 285/75/16's I bought just a couple months before that had white lettering on one side. was pretty happy to get the bfg's with no white lettering. does anyone know if its just certain sizes that are like that?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote