Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2007, 08:33 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velogeo
You can get the RUDs from Bill Burke's web site http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/Chains.htm for a little less than $200 for all 4, not including shipping. He really recomends them in his videos. I've been boning up. It's been almost 15 years since I've gotten to go down anything rougher than a gravel road.

The only real reason I'd consider the Pewags is because I don't want to carry tire chains in my luggage. I'd hate to think what the TSA would think of that.

Thanks for the replies.
As a matter of fact. I was just on a trip with Bill Burke in my Bronco, doing Dusy Ershim. We got about 1.5-2" of snow the first night, and about the same during that day. One of the vehicles had a set of RUD chains (on a Discovery) that he used to help him gain traction.

Bill's a great guy and wheels more in a year, than we'll do in a lifetime. I've known him for quite a few years now, and strongly recommend a trip with him if you get a chance. Give his wife Rachel a call if you want to order some RUD chains. BTW, he'll be at Expedition Exchange in early December for a fundraiser.

Herb

Old 10-15-2007, 08:38 PM   #12
Site Team

Noticed you're up in Renton, WA. I'll be up in the Chehalis area the middle of next month in the SMB visiting my in-laws.

Herb
Old 10-16-2007, 08:59 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
Herb -

Very cool. Are you going to be doing any adventuring or just visit with family?

I'll have to try to find the name of it again, and I'm not sure it'll be open yet, but there is a huge indoor water park planned for down that way. Don't know if you're bringing kids with you.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:48 AM   #14
Site Team

Trsut me, visiting the in-laws WILL be an adventure.

Travelling with our son, but he's only 19 months old, so a water park might be a bit much for him at this time.

Herb
Old 10-17-2007, 11:30 AM   #15

I wouldn't mind doing a trip will Bill, or flat out lessons. It's been a while (10+ years) since I've been able to do any four wheeling and I'm a little nervous about making my way through the woods and mountains in something as monstrously huge as an EB Ford van. There's another instructor in Renton whose a member of the same association. It sounds like the guy is the distributor for ARB in the US as well. I'm thinking he'll be worth a call.

Most of the water parks we've been to -- which is something close to 2 or 3 -- have had great kiddie areas. I'm not pushing the idea, btw. I was just happy to find a place around here you could get wet in the winter with warm water instead of rain. Of course come February that place will be a sea of pasty white.

http://greatwolflodge.com/Locations/Gra ... index.aspx
Old 10-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #16

BC -

What size tires do you have? Where did you get your chains? I was just told you couldn't get the RUD's for 35" tires.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:08 PM   #17

I found something similar, I think, diamond pattern quick-fit chains at Les Schwab. The heavier chains meant for off-road seem pretty damn sturdy and comparable to the RUD's in function. They were $260 for two pairs, including WA state sales tax, for my 35" BFG ATs.

We'll find out how they work next week. I pick up my van Thursday morning. My son is going to meet me in Reno Friday. Then we start driving back to Seattle. We plan on doing some exploring and getting up into the mountains and snow. If I don't post again till spring we'll know they didn't work.

http://lesschwab.com/tires/winter/chains.asp
Old 11-03-2007, 09:48 PM   #18

> We'll find out how they work next week. I pick up my van Thursday morning. My son is going to meet me in Reno Friday. Then we start driving back to Seattle. We plan on doing some exploring and getting up into the mountains and snow. If I don't post again till spring we'll know they didn't work.

Good luck on your trip to pick up your van! Have fun on the way home and post photos for all of us stuck at work. I'll be curious to see which route you take home.

Brian Rutherford
Old 11-03-2007, 11:07 PM   #19

Will do. I appreciated the input, Brian. We're gonna follow at least some of your suggestions. There's a lot of good stuff between Reno and Seattle. Weather permitting I'm hoping we can spend the night on Mt Steen in Oregon one night and take Tacoma pass via Forest Service roads for our last bit of adventure. Not sure what else yet.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:15 AM   #20

Garage
Well it's game on out here in the Wasatch...

and of course I have been dragging my feet about getting chains for this winter and there really isn't anytime to order online. We have plans this weekend to go cut our Xmas tree out in the Nat'l Forest and I really want to have the chains in the rig.

VeloGeo - have you had a chance to use w/ your Les Scwab chains yet? I may run down to the local Les Scwab this am to grab 2 sets. I want to get the right ones but I dont want to regret my decision

Their Quick fit Diamond chains look a lot like the ones Bill Burke recommended on his site...

any recommendations before I go down there this am??

Thanks

-d