Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #11

TIRE CHOICE

10k miles on my new nitto grapplers. So far, best tires i have ever had (of thier type), for loudness and ride.

Nitto == Toyo ?

Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #12

Re: TIRE CHOICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman
Nitto == Toyo ?
Yup. And if you sell one, you can't sell the other. Got Nittos on my pickup and I really like them too.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #13
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

UJOINT- Your rig looks like the vehicle in the iphone app game Jelly Car, or is it Jelly Car 2, who knows, I've moved on to Angry Birds, Heh, Heh. Very nice.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #14

I was also looking at the Toyo Wild Country xtx's, but I think they only come in the D rate

cobblecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #15

they also have the open country in an E rate, but it isn't quite as aggressive.

But, I guess they work just as well...

cobblecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #16

Double check the rain, snow and pavement ratings. I was originally going to go with a flashier tread pattern until I saw how bad they were rated in rain.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:53 AM   #17

Best tire I've ever had is the Toyo M55. These are sold by Les Schwab (almost exclusively) are are intended as a light-to-medium logging road tire. Traction and tire life is much better than the Open Country A/T tire. I also tried the M/T, but I didn't like the amount of tread walk, considering I tow trailers up 18,000 pounds. And.... I've seen what the M/Ts do it sand. Which isn't much. A less aggressive tread seams to work much better in dry sand.

I get mine center-siped and studded, then pluck the studs out come spring-time.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
I agree the nitto terra grappler are ok in the snow. I am running them now. I have the 315's too. I am replacing them with the Toyo open country MT's 305/70R-16 rated E. I also chose these because every small town we usually travel through has a Les Schwab in it which is great for repair purposes. It is a big hit to the wallet however which is why I haven't gotten them yet.
Why is it that you have 16" wheels on your 4x4? All E-350 conversions I know of except Advanced Four Wheel in Salt Lake require 17". We are both in Seattle area---don't see many SMB's around here!
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotearms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
I agree the nitto terra grappler are ok in the snow. I am running them now. I have the 315's too. I am replacing them with the Toyo open country MT's 305/70R-16 rated E. I also chose these because every small town we usually travel through has a Les Schwab in it which is great for repair purposes. It is a big hit to the wallet however which is why I haven't gotten them yet.
Why is it that you have 16" wheels on your 4x4? All E-350 conversions I know of except Advanced Four Wheel in Salt Lake require 17". We are both in Seattle area---don't see many SMB's around here!

I have a sporstmobile 4x4 conversion and they used 16" rims until the later years(not sure when they switched to 17"). Mine was done late 2006.

I got new tires today and went with the Toyo MT's in the 305 size. It is at least 1" shorter now which is a good thing for me since it makes it a little easier to get in the van. The 315's were huge! So I went from a 35" down to a 34" tire E rated and I really like how they feel! They have a much smoother ride over bumps and I think it is the right size for our vans proportionally.

I had 6 guys doing the tire change on the van since they all were asking a lot of questions about it, etc. They hadn't seen anything like it.

Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage

coyotearms, in 2008 when Ford did the body change SMB went with axles that are supplied with Ford 450 brake system and If I'm not mistaken 16' rims don't fit. (right Carringb?)

I wish I had the larger brakes. The suspension is a bit taller as well on the new SMB setup.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote