Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Tire patches

Lots of threads on field fixes but I wonder what everybody thinks about patching a tire on a heavy vehicle.

I've got a lag in the bottom tread (in a lug) on my rear 315-75-16 Toyo E rated MT. I plan to replace all the tires over the next few months. Les Schawb swears the patch is basically a 100% fix but my van weighs about 11.5K and the last thing I want to worry about is something going wrong on a OHV trail or worst, a blowout at high speed. I could pull the spare to replace the tire in question but besides the extra work involved, there's no sense doing extra work if a inside patch is as safe as Schwab says. I was hoping to get through the next 3 months before making a complete tire change. Thanks for any feedback.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #2

I have run patched tires on my Dodge W350 pulling 14k trailers for a few years. Personally I have never had a blowout based on a patched tire.

Just my experience.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:36 PM   #3

I patched a lot of tires as a kid working in gas stations. As long as the hole is in the tread section, not a sidewall tear, and it's not too big a patch should be fine. The pressure in the tire will help hold it in place, but running really low, off road pressures will allow the tire to squirm around and possibly loosen the glue. Otherwise, you should be fine. Even if the patch does come off, I wouldn't expect a blow out, but rather a slow leak based on how big the original hole was.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:39 PM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Tire patches done correctly--from the inside with proper adhesives and practices----are nearly as good as brand new tires. Most repair shops doing this sort of thing tend to not mislead a customer with promises they can't fulfill.

I've had several done over the years but never on such a heavy vehicle. Even so I'd not be the least bit hesitant if I knew it was being done by a widely used shop with a good or better reputation. Typically this would be someone specializing in commercial and/or big truck tires.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:42 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
Glad something is going right. I'll probably just have it patched. Schwab wants over 400 bucks per tire, where America's tire wants1360 OTD for all 4 mounted and balanced. Huge difference.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:47 PM   #6

For 10 years of my life I had a job as an FM radio broadcast engineer which took me to mountain top tower sites regularly. Most of the time I was visiting sites which required 25-40 miles of off-road dirt each way in order to reach the tower sites in addition to highway miles. The off-road terrain ranged anywhere from county maintained dirt roads all the way to sites where the roads were so bad that the government engineers would helicopter into the sites so as to not have to drive.

Needless to say, I've seen my fair share of flat tires over the years. Both my truck and van used to make the trips and lots of the time I was loaded down with heavy equipment.

Here in Arizona I go to Discount Tire for all my vehicles and get the "certs" which is their warranty. If you pay the extra for the warranty they will repair or replace (sidewall damage automatically) damaged tires. I was a fairly frequent visitor and they always used inside patches to repair punctures in the tread, never plugs. If you got 3 patches on a single tire they would replace it which happened to me a few times, but I never had an existing patch fail on any of the tires they repaired. This included running patched tires at various PSI's (normal, higher for towing, lower for offroad).

From my experiences, a properly patched tire never gave me any extra cause for concern.

As far as blowouts go, I can't definitively say that the patches don't contribute, but I can say that after switching over to the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors Load Range E's I never suffered a blowout even on patched tires nearing end of life.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:04 PM   #7

Les Schwab's has patched many of my tires, and I've never had a single issue with any repair.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:17 PM   #8

I agree with all above. A reputable company isn't going to patch one if it's not proven. Too many lawsuit happy types. I'm actually surprised they will do it at all but it must be safe.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:59 PM   #9

If a tire store tells you it fine, then it's fine.

I've never experience a more risk averse, safety conscious, gun-shy, nanny minder 'fraidy cat industry ever!

When shopping for tires, I got a pretty good deal on BFG All-Terrains at Summit Racing, Reno in-store pick up. The Tire Rack is also in Reno. No road hazard warranty or anything, but I usually buy 6 tires at a time for the van (a spare, and a single for later)