Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #21

Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring System????

I'm surprised at all the Hella TPMS problems, I put one in about 10k miles ago and it's been perfect. It did take a bit of time to find the best antenna position though. Ended up placing the pickup box next to the passenger airbag and running the antenna up the A pillar.

I found it invaluable at getting the perfect pressure on new shoes since it reads Temperature as well as Pressure. Put it in after the wife had a blowout in the van, figured it might be a good early warning if it happens again, and nothing lost if it doesn't.

So all the people that have junked their Hella TPMS, does anyone have one up for grabs? I'm thinking of using a second one as a cheap air bag pressure gauge.

SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #22

After finding that one of my wheels had cracked (noticed low tire profile when I stopped) it became very clear to me what would happen if I had a catastrophic failure of a wheel or tire. Like most of you, I do a lot of aggressive 4 wheeling and stress my 4X4 platform a lot. On the road, I am running BFGs w/ 70 psi on the hwy and tow a 30' Airstream. To some it may be a girley-man thing to do but I installed a Dill TPMS and am happy with it.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger
I'm surprised at all the Hella TPMS problems, I put one in about 10k miles ago and it's been perfect. It did take a bit of time to find the best antenna position though. Ended up placing the pickup box next to the passenger airbag and running the antenna up the A pillar.
I have a Hella system on my Subaru (TSD rally car) and it works perfectly. Looks like replacement sensors and stuff getting harder to get, the local tire place just broke one of mine.

I like the temperature feature a lot. I can imagine on something as big as an E350 that antenna placement would be critical.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382
asked the dealer and they said put some black tape over the light.
I was thinking, with the lawsuit over the improperly patched tire (viewtopic.php?p=62429#p62429) it's surprising that "put some black tape over the warning light" is an acceptable response.

I mean I'm glad I don't have a TPMS requiring me to run 80 psi in my tires, and God knows they would make it illegal to run non-stock tires if they could, but if I run E rated max cold 65psi and my TPMS is always on, that to me is dangerous, or faulty or whatever.... it abrogates the purpose of the federally required system.

Not that these things ever make sense, but I wonder if Ford could be required to replace or reprogram for an appropriate pressure.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #25

Like everything else, the newer ones are getting better.

The TPMS in my Jetta allows me to fill my tires to the pressure I want, then press a button to 'SET' the system. Makes sense.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger
I have a Hella system on my Subaru (TSD rally car) and it works perfectly. Looks like replacement sensors and stuff getting harder to get, the local tire place just broke one of mine.

I like the temperature feature a lot. I can imagine on something as big as an E350 that antenna placement would be critical.
I did some further research, the Hella (which is pretty much not available) I have on my Subaru is not recommended for heavy duty vehicles, and is only rated to 76.8 PSI.

Orange make a truck one (their car system can't be set to a higher "high pressure" warning than 60 PSI, meaning it woudl alert all the time), they are about $319 on Fleabay.

http://www.orangetpmsusastore.com/After ... _Volt.html

But they have weird long valve stems like for a commercial truck.

Any other aftermarket TPMS systems around?

Old 07-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #27
Site Team

Here's a stock picture of one that I use. A leftover from my motorcycling days but it does the trick for me.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:16 AM   #28

Most of the after market TPMS allow you to reset the base line pressure at any time.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:44 PM   #29

OK, after my little delamination issue recently, I'm considering adding a TPMS system with my upcoming new tire purchase.

Here are the characteristics I believe I want:
  • 5-tire support (for full-size spare)[/*:m:7qdjewuh]
  • 4-tire simultaneous monitoring[/*:m:7qdjewuh]
  • rubber valve stems (I predict I'd smash metal stems offroading)[/*:m:7qdjewuh]
  • easy to air up/down[/*:m:7qdjewuh]

It seems like unless I can get some kind of completely wheel-internal sensor, the screw-on cap sensors are my best bet -- for keeping my rubber valve stems. However, screw-on sensors are susceptible to theft, and require removal for airing up.

Here are the options I see out there on the market:
  • TyreDog cap sensors. 5 sensors. Receiver display shows all 4 tires. I read that the "lock ring" makes these difficult to remove for airing up/down (special tool required). Theft issues: caps could be stolen, but lock ring helps prevent theft. Sensor batteries are replaceable. Caps are waterproof. TyreDog on amazon.com [/*:m:7qdjewuh]
  • Advantage PressurePro cap sensors. Receiver display shows only 1 tire at a time! Are these still available? Where? Amazon.com shows them, but at a $500+ price. Theft issues: caps could be stolen. advantagepressurepro.com [/*:m:7qdjewuh]
  • Orange Metal stem replacement. Metal valve stems might break offroad - I prefer rubber. Only 4 sensors. Metal valve stems might break offroad? Sensor batteries not replaceable. Seems to be out of business now? Still available on Amazon.com [/*:m:7qdjewuh]
  • Hella Definitely mixed reviews here on sportsmobileforum.com. I read they're no longer being made.[/*:m:7qdjewuh]

I'm not thrilled with any of the above choices. I'd consider going with the TyreDog, but with all the airing up/down I do, I'd go nuts having to remove these sensors with a special tool each time. I don't even keep caps on my valve stems. Anyway, I'd most likely lose the special tool.

-- Geoff
Old 04-10-2014, 06:43 AM   #30

In what scenario are you thinking the metal valve stems would break off road?