Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2018, 08:04 PM   #1
brp

Tire Question - 2004 Quigley, RIP, Stock Rims...How Big Can I Go?

I know there are a million tire threads, but I can't seem to figure out the specifics of my van/tire situation. As always, any help would be awesome.

So here goes.

I've got a 2004 Quigley E350 and I have been in touch with Agile to get an RIP kit ordered. I am now looking at tires. I would like to stay with the stock 16x7" Econoline wheel for cost savings. I have the 5.4, just point that out because it is the lightest engine option.

I see different examples here, and on Expo Portal, but some people seem to show 33"-33.5" tires are the largest you can go, while I have seen others in the 34.5"-35" range with just trimming the plastic on the front bumper or a minor amount of the plastic liner in the rear of the fender well.

Maybe backspacing is the root of the difference?

I called my tire shop and they told me no problem mounting a tire on a rim outside of the manufacturer's approved rim width range.

Looking at the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, BFG AT, and General Grabber AT2, each is available in roughly a 33.5" (approved rim width of 7.5-9.5") size and a 34.5" (approved rim width 8-10") size.

I was all set on the 33.5" to save any hassle, less issues with gearing and speedo, cheaper tires, but my lady said they have to be big because its gotta look cool. I thought to myself, I can indulge that, so here we are. Plus, my van is big, so I get what she is saying.

Please share any knowledge you've got and thanks again.

PS, I threw a picture on here because I don't think I've posted a decent one on here yet. Its a 2004 Turtle Top Van Terra body.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0606.jpg  

brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
MSD

Garage
I have the same year Quigley but an EB & 6.0 and run 35's on 17X8.5" rims (van weight is 9400 Lbs. I'd think you could run 35's on you stock 16's no problem with just trimming the front wheel well. The only thing I had to do was trim the front wheel well and all was good. I run 2" spacers on the rear so the van track is correct.

I've run both 33's and 35's and have also run a zero off set and negative 12 off set. the negative was way better, but those rims were cracked by Les Schwab due to over torque so I'm running zero off set and 35's and all is still good.

Looking forward to see what you decided to run, personally I think 35s will make the van look better... But that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I know there are a million tire threads, but I can't seem to figure out the specifics of my van/tire situation. As always, any help would be awesome.

So here goes.

I've got a 2004 Quigley E350 and I have been in touch with Agile to get an RIP kit ordered. I am now looking at tires. I would like to stay with the stock 16x7" Econoline wheel for cost savings. I have the 5.4, just point that out because it is the lightest engine option.

I see different examples here, and on Expo Portal, but some people seem to show 33"-33.5" tires are the largest you can go, while I have seen others in the 34.5"-35" range with just trimming the plastic on the front bumper or a minor amount of the plastic liner in the rear of the fender well.

Maybe backspacing is the root of the difference?

I called my tire shop and they told me no problem mounting a tire on a rim outside of the manufacturer's approved rim width range.

Looking at the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, BFG AT, and General Grabber AT2, each is available in roughly a 33.5" (approved rim width of 7.5-9.5") size and a 34.5" (approved rim width 8-10") size.

I was all set on the 33.5" to save any hassle, less issues with gearing and speedo, cheaper tires, but my lady said they have to be big because its gotta look cool. I thought to myself, I can indulge that, so here we are. Plus, my van is big, so I get what she is saying.

Please share any knowledge you've got and thanks again.

PS, I threw a picture on here because I don't think I've posted a decent one on here yet. Its a 2004 Turtle Top Van Terra body.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:16 AM   #3

I doubt a tire shop will mount a 315 on a 7" wheel. At least the shops in my town won't do it. You might also run into clearance issues with the molded running boards. If you want an aggressive look, get mud terrains.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I wouldn't run 315's/35's on the stock rim. As mentioned, the larger the tire the more your mileage is hurt and power is robbed, especially with the 5.4, I would stick with 33 or 285 at the largest, again especially since you're wanting to mount these things on the stock 16X7 wheel. Even then, that size tire wants at least a 7.5" rim width. As it's noted by the tire manufacturer, not recommended, chances go up you'll have a bead failure or worse, and things may not be covered. Looking cool is one thing, but not at the expense of safety.
Oh ya, and mud terrains suck in the snow....stick with one of the tires you mentioned.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #5
brp

I agree REF, the sensible and safe thing to do is probably go with the 285/295.

It saves me the trimming, I can use the stock wheels, the 5.4 will be happier, it will be a little safer.

A few threads that helped me figure all this out are below, maybe a good reference for somebody in the future.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ers-18043.html

This weekends project, 35" on a Quigley. (DIY Fender trimming) - Expedition Portal)

Now I hope they don't look tiny on my van.

Thanks for the replies and PMs from everyone.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:57 AM   #6

What gear ratio do you have?
Old 03-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #7
brp

I’ve got 4.10’s.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #8

33s are about the max people run with 4.10s and the 5.4. Any bigger and most people prefer a lower gear ratio (4.56).
Old 03-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #9
brp

That’s about what I’ve read. The bus has plenty of power and cruises well at 75 with the stock sized tire and 4.10’s, so I thought a bigger tire, within reason, would be fine.

I don’t tow much, and I don’t live in the mountains, but so far the 5.4 with 4.10’s has been totally acceptable to me.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:54 AM   #10
brp

So I’ve called a couple of tire shops and I’m getting mixed info about being outside the approved rim width.

I’m wondering if any of you guys have some experience/knowledge to share. I’m looking at having a rim 1/2” narrower than the narrow end of manufacturer’s approved rim width. (7” vs 7.5”)

Some places are saying no problem, some say the center of the tread will bulge and wear prematurely and the bead is more likely to break.

Honestly, the guys generally saying don’t do it seem less knowledgeable than the guys saying that it is basically fine. I told one guy they were for a 4x4 Econoline and said he assumed it was for racing.

Just looking for advice.

Thanks guys.