Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2008, 10:57 PM   #1

Tire Size Question

It's time to replace the tires that came on my 07 Quigley 4x4 van. I thought what better place than this to get the scoop and experience from ya'll.

I can't decide whether to stay with 265 E rated tire or go one bigger and get the 285s.

Has anyone been down this road? Can you shed some light on the pros and cons of each one? Or any other suggestions. I like the idea of taller and narrower tires too.

Thanks

j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:42 PM   #2

Three things:
1. be sure to stick with E rated tires, even if you go up
2. consider the entry level of the van (a small variation could change that perfect exit height, such as a few inches from new Deaver springs...)
3. you'll probably get better MPG (based on my recent 32" => 35" Jeep upgrade and one tank of gas )
4. neither 265 nor 285 alone actually determine the height of the tire- you could go from 265/75/R16 to 285/70/R16 and the radius would only change by less than 1/10"
(see http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html for comparisons)

Old 07-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #3

Thx, more questions :)

How big can I go on the Quigley 4x4? Quigley for warranty reasons say 265/70 17.

What are the best tires? I like the BFGs, the Michelin X sold at Costco, and what about the new Hankook tire? Everyone seems to go with the BFGs.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #4

Personally I hate all the BFG ATs I've owned and that's after five sets on different vehicles. The two sets of older BFG Mud T/As I've had were bomb proof awesome, but the AT problems have steered me away from the brand.

I went with Toyo on my TJ, but I haven't done anything that would warrant and opinion. Nitto it made by Toyo so they're probably as good.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.whitbread
Thx, more questions

How big can I go on the Quigley 4x4? Quigley for warranty reasons say 265/70 17.

What are the best tires? I like the BFGs, the Michelin X sold at Costco, and what about the new Hankook tire? Everyone seems to go with the BFGs.
I've got a Quigley 4x4 and have BFG 285/75 16s. I think I can go 305/70/16 which is pretty much just a little tad bigger but wider tires.

Anything larger, I'll need to sawzall the fenders, put in the bushwackers fenders and change the gear ratio to 4.10's or more. Personally I don't like the Bushwacker fenders but I have them in storage for the day.

The tires are BFG's AT and I've had no problems with them, but I'm getting Toyo Open country MT's the next round.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:40 PM   #6

I agree, I am trying to avoid the fender flairs.

285 or about 33 inches seems to be the diameter max. I want the large diameter for fuel mileage. I like the old school narrow heavy duty look. I always liked the Goodyear Workhorse tires. I don't think they are available anymore. I don't like the tire to be too wide, Hummers for example use 305s.

235/80/17 tires are the same height as 265s. Narrow and 33 inches would be ideal.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Just make sure to keep aan eye on the Load Rating.....

Many folks (myself included) are recommending E-Rated, and even then, check out the load capacity, because there is no standard capacity for a load rating. You can get an E Rated tire and it have less capacity than a D Rated tire... go figure

We went wider than we wanted specifically to get a capacity of 3860 lbs.

This allows us to run at a lower pressure and at a pressure that is not the max cold pressure (65psi) since we have some headroom on load capacity.

We went with Cooper Discoverer STT LT325/65/R18 with a diameter of 34.75in and a treadwidth of 10.5 in (and a tread depth of 23/32 in)

So far, 5k miles in, we are very happy with our choice.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #8

j.whitbread - Why do you want narrow tires? I guess a better question is do you take your van off road? If yes, then you will want wider tires, not narrow ones to increase traction.

I am going to be upgrading from 245/75/16 to 285/75/16 in the next couple weeks (my order is placed). I'm actually getting new wheels as well to accomodate the larger tire width. I'm going with Nitto Terra Grapplers (E load rating) and American Racing Mojave wheels (black, teflon coated).
Old 07-22-2008, 12:50 AM   #9

Wider helps with flotation but the narrow tire has it's strengths too. Deflating the tire increases the footprint front to back not just side to side. I'm just saying the overall diameter of around 33 is the goal. It can be a 235/85 or a 285/70. Both are just shy of 33 inches. I don't want to use fender flairs or see the tire sticking out too much.

I like the look of the narrow tire It reminds me of an old International wagon in my neighborhood years ago.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #10

We had a guy who wheeled a tall narrow tire on a Jeep, I think it was 33x9.50 BFGs. I like the way it looks on a Jeep, like a classic Willy's or old Landrover tire.

Also the theory (not sure how sound it is) was that the narrow tire would cut to the bottom of the mud, finding more solid bottom under the goo that a wide tire would float & spin on.

Anyway, doesn't a wide tire also get longer front to back when airing down?