Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV
Re: Too Ignorant to pick Wheels/Tires

Thanks everyone. This helps a lot. It also helps me realize why it seemed to me that it was more complicated than I'd expected....namely because it is! :-)

Steve 382, really appreciate the detailed info since your van may be the closest to my own and so now i know that is one route I can go. I like those wheels just fine - though I do wish tires could be a bit bigger/more aggressive. Still, while they aren't stomper 4x4's as Jage mentions...they'd likely be a bit of an improvement over my own. My driving needs certainly do not warrant me having to do any lifts, etc. That would be overkill.

Let me see what I can do with a few calls to quigley & my mom & pop tire shop here in Putnam County, NY.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #12

Hey, thought I'd share that I called Quigley today to get some range of where I could go on tire size/wheel size. They said they would only be able to tell me what wheel and tire size I left with. They said their certification with Ford prevents them from advising owners on using anything but the wheels and tires they left with. Interesting.

But, my local little tire shop has agreed to help me get both wheels and tires. (something, that for some reason, the chains in my areas weren't interested in doing. They only wanted to sell me tires.)

When she finally gets new shoes I'll post a picture.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #13

FYI. You listed both 285/70/17 and 285/75/17 as tires you were looking at. Both those sizes will require you to be very careful with wheel offset selection on a Quigley. 285/70 Might *just* fit with 0 offset (most aftermarket wheels), the 285/75 won't, you'll need to go to a positive offset wheel for those to fit.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #14

Too Ignorant to pick Wheels/Tires

Hooray! Minerva's got New Shoes finally! (and with the teflon Mojaves I'd say they kind of look like Doc Martens.) Sensible shoes for a sensible gal.
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307022316.001071.jpg  
Old 06-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #15

The 17 inch ATX Mojaves replaced the 17 inch rims she came with from Ford. (have to figure out how to post a picture from my existing gallery to show the before I guess.) The local tire shop, Putnam Tire, here in Putnam County, NY helped me out. Wheels actually came from Tirerack. Tires are 265/70/17. an improvement over the 245, but not massive. The tires are Bridgestone Revas (spelling?) They aren't the Toyos I thought I might get but, it was more practical to buy what the tire store had in stock and they look pretty great. Oddly enough, they ride more smoothly than the Hancooks I had before despite the more aggressive tread and size.
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307022509.261545.jpg  
Old 06-02-2011, 07:54 AM   #16

Sorry for 3 replies but wanted to post 3 pics from my iPad with tapatalk. Hope I am doing this right. anyhow...now,, I have the new wheels/tires as of yesterday. The new cargo rack in back, and as of this morning, my Danhard is fixed and working again. I'm off to Allegheny National Forest in PA for a week of camping with my Dad around Kinzua Creek after this post. (now I want bumpers, and a bra for the hood, and a talon, and...)
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307022720.711324.jpg  
Old 06-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Looks good Mike. Don't these things keep your wallet light?

Not to go off topic (actually I am ), but what was wrong with the Danhard? There is another thread going on Starcools and am wondering how cool will the Danhard go in 100 degree temps. My Starcool sucks on shore power and I'm lucky to get to 90 in 100+ temps

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #18

Well, to be clear, since I was in a rush to hit the road Thursday morning I just had them recharge the freon. It was clear that if it had leaked out since being repaired last Spring...something is wrong. I have to schedule some pressure testing to see what's what. But, again, I think it is dirt and rocks kicking up into it from the dirt road I live on. In hindsight, I should have kept the condenser covered under the van except when using it. I will say, the Danhard is a much more powerful system. From what I can tell. The first year, it was too cold at times. And, I don't even think you can get the Starcool anymore. Plus, the Danhard can run off batteries for an hour. Which means you can run inside and leave the a/c going with dogs in the car. (I have a chillydog as back up to kick the main a/c on if something goes wrong with Danhard). And, u can run Danhard off a Honda 2000 generator.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:48 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

Mike, I asked this in another thread you posted to clairify that the Danhard SMB installs can take temps down to somewhere around the lower 70's even in 100+ weather? I'm trying to justify switching over but the danhard cooling system but it must be able to hold lower 70's while the van sits in sun in 100 degree weather with the windows covered in reflectix. I know my van has poor insulation quality but even close would be nice.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:13 AM   #20

I really cannot speak to how it would perform in 100 degree temperatures. I do most of my camping in New York, New England and Pennsylvania. It seldom gets that hot. and, I do most of my camping in Spring & Fall. So, I do think, it works much better than Starcool since i read so many issues about Starcool not being very cold. and, the first season I had my Danhard, I remember it as being able to get quite cool. (69, or 70 was achieved.) But, I cannot recall from what ambient temp. May have only been 80 or so since I dont see camping in 90 and above as a nice trip.

Sorry I am not being more helpful to your specific question.