Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #1

Transfer flow 4x4 compatibility

I added a Transfer Flow 46 gallon fuel tank to my Quadvan. It was probably the best thing I ever did to this vehicle. It was a very tight fit however, requiring me to cut the extra length off one of the hanger strap bolts in order to clear the driveshaft. This is a Quadvan with a 4R100 transmission sporting a tail housing extension.

I am now looking at purchasing a 2wd SMB with future plans to convert to 4wd. This vehicle also has a 46 gallon Transfer-Flow tank. It is equipped with a 5R100 transmission. I read in a another post about the Transfer Flow only working on SMB conversions but there was no information as to why. Is this because the Atlas transfer case is smaller? If I swap the output shaft on a 5R100 and direct bolt a standard NP272 transfer case to it, would there be enough room for both to fit?

Thanks in advance.

beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:16 PM   #2

I have a 2013 RB50 with Quadvan 4x4. After picking it up from Quadvan, I drove it right back to SUB West to get the 46 gallon TF tank put in. Considering I average 9.5 mpg in my V10, it was a no brainer.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #3

Oogs, thanks for that. Good information. I think different converters use different crossmembers and their Transfer-Flow tanks (or at least mounting hardware) are specific to the converter. I know that T-F no longer selling retail version of this tank. Companies like Quadvan and SMB have to order a run of 10 tanks, per my recollection of a conversation with John at Quadvan. I am going to assume that a 2wd van converted by SMB will have the SMB-specific tank.

As long as I am not clearancing a fuel tank with a sledge hammer, I'm pretty sure I could make this work.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:33 AM   #4

Quick edit. I have an EB50, not sure if that makes a difference on the install of TF tank.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #5

No difference. They are the same between the axles.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:29 PM   #6

beaker,
could you share the exact Transfer Flow tank you put in? I looked on their site and all I see for mine is F series bed tanks.
Thanks.
jeff.depaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #7

Transfer Flow discontinued the tank about 10 years ago. They make custom runs with a minimum order of 10 tanks. I ordered through Quadvan in Portland, Oregon. They're an odd company that does not respond to emails. If you don't manage to talk to someone on the phone, you did not contact them or leave a message.

Note that Quadvan has moved on to converting Transit vans, so I am not sure what they are stocking for E-series gear. An alternative might be U-joint offroad; they offer a 39 gallon tank.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:21 PM   #8

I did my own conversion to a 4link coils sprung 4x4 with a 2000 dually front axle back in 2004 on my 2002 7.3 ext. The problem I ran into was the NP 271 being too big (long) with the adapter I got from Quigley (that is another story since they did not sell parts to the public). I had to settle for a 1356 at the time, to fit the T.F. tank. The reason why I chose that adapter and t case eventually was because my drive shafts are equal length, being I was a frequent Baja visitor that left me hauling one d shaft for front and back.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
The reason why I chose that adapter and t case eventually was because my drive shafts are equal length, being I was a frequent Baja visitor that left me hauling one d shaft for front and back.
Does that mean you carried a spare driveshaft?

Try calling Agile for a Transfer flow, they may have a solution.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:33 PM   #10

I've got an 05 E350 RB Salem-Kroger conversion, and my stock (shortened) tank has developed loose baffles. I'm trying to source a replacement. I had bookmarked Ujoints alum tank (it looks awesome) but lost the link, and my call and message about it to Ujoint hasn't gotten a return yet. I'm curious if he is selling it... My memory is that the dimensions were good for a Salem-Kroger.

I may just find someone willing to split and reweld the original tank, but that is not proving easy, and I'm worried about it flaking... and it's pretty beat up as well...

Just an FYI post, I guess. Unless someone else has good ideas.
Yovan is offline   Reply With Quote