Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2019, 09:42 PM   #11

Van Compass 4x4 1 ton swap

Sorry... didnt mean to get off on a side track. Tried deleting pic, maybe admin can delete
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4837.jpg  

Ron_Nunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:04 PM   #12

I saw this today on IG as well. While it looks like beautiful work, the first thing I thought of besides the $40k price tag was taking the drivability of a new modern van and swapping it out to a straight axle front suspension. Kind of seems like it defeats the purpose of getting a modern van. I think that if I really needed something that off road capable that I would just build an E series.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:17 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallDee View Post
I saw this today on IG as well. While it looks like beautiful work, the first thing I thought of besides the $40k price tag was taking the drivability of a new modern van and swapping it out to a straight axle front suspension. Kind of seems like it defeats the purpose of getting a modern van. I think that if I really needed something that off road capable that I would just build an E series.
Also being an E-Series devotee and hoping to NOT plunge into a Transit ever I'd have to disagree ever so slightly. Sure the cost is outrageous but as far as defeating the modern features of the Transit interior-wise make this conversion option.

The rear area is far more easily upfitted with SMB-like components such as cabinets, beds, storage etc etc. With added roof height options Transit's have huge advantages over E-Series.

If the under carriage would be beefed up to at least the load handling and towing capacity of the E-Series this sort of 4x4 upgrade might be the wave of the future.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #14

Thanks for Sharing!

I figured I would chime in for those that are interested.

Our 2wd Transit was fun and got around OK with our lift kit and larger tires, but could not keep up with our 4x4 Sprinter on 35s. The ecoboost Transit will should have plenty of power to pull 1 tons with the correct gearing. The Transit has more power than many of the E series vans running around on 35s and just about the same power as the 6.8L V10. We do not feel a solid axle conversion is a step backwards in suspension technology. The conversion brings a lot of strength to the drive train and can be made to ride and handle very well. Dodge and Ford still use soild front axles in their HD trucks. These new trucks drive great with a linked front suspension and proper steering configurations.

This conversion will not be for the masses. We don't plan to take this van back to the dealer for warranty work - this is a warranty delete kit ;-) This is a test van to enjoy and have fun with. It will continue to be used for other product development that will cross over to a 2wd or Quadvan/Quigley 4x4. The 40K price tag is just a guess we posted on Instagram, but probably not far off from what we would be charging to do something like this in house.

Specs for the build

F350 Front and rear axles - currently with 3.73, we will most likely go 4.10 with ARBs front and rear after it is driving.
High Clearance BDS Radius arms
Divorced Atlas 3:1 Transfer case
Fox 2.5" DSC shocks, 10" travel front and rear
Replacement 40 gal gas tank (stock was 25 gal)
Custom replacement rear leaf springs
Black Rhino wheels with 35" Milestar MT tires
Tons of fab

Here are a few pictures of our progress so far.
Attached Thumbnails
image4.jpg   image2.jpg   IMG_1520 (Medium) - Copy.jpg   image5.jpg   image7.jpg  

image8.jpg  

Mercedes Sprinter Overland Products
Van Compass is offline   Reply With Quote