Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #11

Re: Very happy with Advanced Four Wheel Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller
I purchaced a 2001 GTRV with an Advanced conversion about five months ago. I will say that the van rides nicely, with no bump steer, but in my opinion, the quality of workmanship on the conversion was very poor. The exhaust system is crap. In order to make bends, the pipe had pie shape wedges cut out, and then it was bent back together and welded. Most of the hangers have broken and been replaced over time due to pipe strain and the leaf spring hanger bolt has rubbed a hole in the pipe too. The hole in the floor for the shifter was just hacked out leaving sharp jagged edges, but oddly, it wasn't cut quite big enough, causing the Xfer case to occasionally pop out of 4low due to a lack of travel in the shifter. (an easy fix though). The transmission cross member modification for the front drive shaft was so poorly designed that when I got the van, it was cracked about 98% of the way through, and ready to drop the transmission. There was no reinforcement, but again it was a pretty easy fix. The gas tank shortning was done by cutting the tank and putting an oversize plate on the end with a big lip. The welding is horrible, but it doesn't leak, so I guess it's ok, but there must be five weld passes on it with huge blobs. All in all, I'm pleased with the ride, but I think who ever did the welding and some of the design work was a first year apprentice (or perhaps blindfolded). If I had to do it over, there is no doubt I would go to Chris for a far superior conversion.......................Arctic Traveller.

In addition, I just found a service report from the original owner who returned the van to Capistrano Ford for many issues including:
Exhaust has been smashed with a hammer for clearance
Cat converter not correctly bolted to exhaust
Transfer case linkage hits floor
Left front bump stop for the suspension is miss welded, instead of hitting the top of the leaf spring, it hits the ubolt threads
Brake lines are zip tied to axle
Brake lines are rubbing on brake caliper

More evidence of lousy workmanship, I rest my case.
Thank you.
Finally someone that knows what I've been whining about all these years.

BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote