Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2017, 03:23 PM   #41

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt View Post
Nice thread!

Haven't driven deepest that top on front bumper, it's too dangerous to suck water in airbox intake...

Take care to stop the air compressor to avoid it to suck watter. ;-)
As a point of reference, you will not suck water into the a/c system unless the water is cowl level deep. The a/c pump is closed loop and pumps refrigerant, not air like a shop compressor. It does take a lot of water to make a problem in the airbox as well, especially since there are 2 half inch drain holes in the bottom of the collection box for drainage.

Scott

REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:08 AM   #42

[QUOTE=REDOVAL;214751]As a point of reference, you will not suck water into the a/c system unless the water is cowl level deep. The a/c pump ......./QUOTE]

I believe Claude was refering to the air compressor mounted on the frame. I've seen the result of his submerging one, and it ain't pretty. I wasn't aware it was running at the time though, but that explains a lot.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:16 AM   #43

Garage
[QUOTE=arctictraveller;214865]
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
As a point of reference, you will not suck water into the a/c system unless the water is cowl level deep. The a/c pump ......./QUOTE]

I believe Claude was refering to the air compressor mounted on the frame. I've seen the result of his submerging one, and it ain't pretty. I wasn't aware it was running at the time though, but that explains a lot.
Ok fair enough! That will definitely have a negative effect! I routed the air inlet for my Viair to the engine compartment so water ingress wouldn't be an issue.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:43 AM   #44
Site Team

Garage
And I can't imagine what would happen if you suck water into the engine's cold air box. I also consider the air compressor. The filter on mine is an oil soaked sponge. I don't really know how resistant it is to becoming soaked. If I can't walk or probe the crossing I generally turn back.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:17 AM   #45

Garage
when I hit play I get the following message, but it may just be me.

Video unavailable
This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:27 AM   #46

We had to cross this river in Zambia (africa) as the pontoon they had was out of work and disasambled.

This is a combination of pictures and video. My wife refused to walk through the river because of the animals in it ;-)
So we got some pictures of the guy on the other side and i drove afterwards back, but not to the deepest point.

schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:17 AM   #47

Garage
Very cool - enjoyed the Video. Don’t know I would walk the river either...probably do what you did - ask the wife to go first!
Old 10-31-2019, 02:37 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
when I hit play I get the following message, but it may just be me.

Video unavailable
This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated.

hope it works now....was my mistake
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:39 AM   #49

Garage
yep works now, thanks. your ongoing adventure is just awesome. love seeing your updates.

only other question i have is how my response got above your post, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:49 AM   #50

How is everyone here dealing with shifter hole and water incursion through it? I have a boot, but that will hardly keep water from entering the van...

On my Ranger, I've done deep water crossings (approaching 1M), but I have a snorkel and breathers, and there's no open holes for the shifters...
skumancer is offline   Reply With Quote