Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2019, 05:35 PM   #1

What front axle in my 2004 Ford E350 4x4 Sportsmobile

hi all,

The code on the door is C2 which is the Dana 61. Couple of questions. is that the axle on the vehicle or did they get switched out when sportsmobile did the 4x4 conversion back in 2004.

I have the Altas transfer case installed.

i also have 8 lugs and it looks like the dynatrac has 5 lugs. the rotors Autospecialty #AR8553 only have 5 lugs so i'm completely confused by the setup. Any search shows the AR8553 is the rotor that fits the 04 sportsmobile. (it's actually for a '95-98 F350 with holds drilled bigger, but again it's for 5 lugs and i have 8). SO CONFUSED.

It looks like the inner axle seal Spicer 36487 is the same for the 60 as it is for the 61.

thanks for the help!

urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #2

got it figured out. found the literature the previous owner had given me. it's the Dynatrac Front Axle Pro Rock.
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:35 PM   #3

If you have not done so check the front rotors, calipers, pads, bearings, WARN hub, etc. before you go for a drive. The Dynatrac does a good job when you are out and about but it needs a lot of attention.

You should find out what gears are installed and whether there is a limited slip, locker or any other upgrades and the manufacturer. After 180K mi I got tired of replacing the disks in the limited slip. Did a bunch of research and decided on upgrading to a full floater with the TruTrak. The diffs have 4:10 gears but no one would know until they took the cover off and found the part number scratched somewhere on the housing.

These platforms are underbuilt. My rig runs around 9K pounds. They should have built the van on at least a 1 1/2 ton platform. Since they did not, maintenance and repairs are frequent and can be expensive. But we travel full time and tow a 29' 1976 Airstream. On the other hand many of these rigs weigh in the range of 10,000# or more. I certainly do not take my van (without the trailer) on the more aggressive routes like the Rubicon but do not shy away from a path that requires the use of FWD. We just like traveling to remote settings.

We are in Vegas because we stop in to repair any damage from our summer driving on our way south and have the maintenance done by a mechanic I know and trust. We then stop back in Vegas to have the repairs and maintenance done on our way north. I have been using Gil's auto repair in Henderson for about 5 years. I used to do almost all of my own work on my vehicles but I am 70 and know if a mechanic is messing around with me. Gil and the mechanics are straight up honest and now know how to do maintenance and repairs on a 2004 Sportsmobile van. I just had him replace the sticky front calipers, pads, rotors, ball joints (always a problem) rear disks and pads. Since the front calipers had never been replaced it was time but the pads wore through a week ago and destroyed the rotors. These rigs are a good solution to traveling to or in a remote part of a desert or mountain range. Just try not to break anything because towing, parts and labor are very expensive.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote