Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #1

What kind of front bearings do I have?

I had to do the vehicle inspection to get my SMB registered and the mechanic told me that the front passengers side bearing seemed a little loose and might need repacked or tightened. My 2000 SMB has the Quigley 4x4 conversion with warn hubs and I was wondering what parts they used and what bearings I should order. No sign of a problem now but I'm getting ready to head down to the Baja and just want to take car of this before I hit the road. My friendly neighborhood mechanic, who is also a good friend and lives right next door, and I will be taking the front pass. side apart tomorrow to see what is going on. He suggested that if they are loose and need repacked to just go a head and replace them while I was in there. Seems reasonable to me. I think I will need some seals and maybe the bearings. When Quigley did the conversion what components did they use? Thanks...

Old 02-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #2

Re: What kind of front bearings do I have?

I can't answer your question Veg Hed, but if you don't mind waiting until you take it apart, all bearings and races have numbers on them. Just take the old ones to a decent parts store and they should be able to set you up.
If someone else here can help you, you can get the parts ahead of time which is probably why you're asking.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #3

Belive it or not Auto Zone sells Timken bearings. Those are OE and the best. Allmost all bearings have a number on them an thats all they need. The race for the bearing is somtimes sold seperate but they can get the race number from the bearing number so you don't have to drive the race out to see it's number. Do make sure you change the race also and keep an old bearing and race out of the dirt and into a baggie for a spare.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #4

We are taking it apart tomorrow. I'm curious to myself as to what parts it uses. I'll keep you updated...
Old 02-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #5

Timkin roller bearing's can be cross referenced with your old bearing if you take it in to your part's supply store . They generally run 15 to 20 per cent more than your stock bearing's , but are worth every penny of it .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #6

Just took both front rotors off, changed the seals and repacked the bearings. Turns out I had a seal that was leaking a bit. Hence the slight shakiness. All in all, not a bad job. Like I said, I had some help from the neighborhood mechanic but after helping him with the job, I am confident I could do it myself. I've changed and repacked bearings on a few of my vehicles before but I was a little intimidated with taking apart locking hubs. It was a lot easier than I thought. While we were at it I greased the front end, topped off the differentials and transfer case, changed the air filters (I'm done with K&N) and drank a six-pack of PBR. Not a bad day in the shop. It's good to be friends with a "professional mechanic". Tomorrow it's fuel filter and oil change time. Wish me luck...
Old 02-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #7

Hi All,

In the future you might try to phone Quigley and give them your VIN. They can send you a complete list of the parts they used on your van and the Ford part numbers or equivalents.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #8

That would definitely be the way to go. Basically we took the whole thing apart and got the part numbers that way. We wanted to check the bearings before we decided to change them. They were in good shape so we cleaned them and repacked them with fresh grease then changed the seals. We took the part #'s off the seals, and would have done the same with the bearings, and Napa had them in stock. But ordering the parts ahead of time might be the prudent thing to do in the future.