Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
Drove down to Pacific City, OR today, first time attempting to take my e350 in sand. The beach access has an immediate uphill.. we aired down to 30 psi and still couldn’t make it up with 4hi on. Had to stop and back down the hill. I even got a good run at the hill, maybe 15-20 mph.
What do most people air down to in loose, dry sand?

James, it really is significant to identify the type of tire, and your vehicle weight....
As referred to in some of the reply's, huge difference between stock E series tire and 31 etc....as well as 4K vs 8k#...

Cheers

moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #12

Here are 6 2wd vans on “The Point” in Hatteras NC
10-15 lbs of air pressure depending on load range C or D
Attached Thumbnails
6659F5D1-89A2-4E68-A271-F7BA8C387BE2.jpg  
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #13

Pretty good guide to airing down

https://www.treadmagazine.com/how-to...the-right-way/
RichPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:47 AM   #14

A related question to airing down - what do you do about the engine light that says ‘low tire pressure’. It comes on and stays on forever. Do you just ignore it or reset it it every time?
Ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:38 AM   #15

Garage
airing down

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorefc View Post
James, it really is significant to identify the type of tire, and your vehicle weight....
As referred to in some of the reply's, huge difference between stock E series tire and 31 etc....as well as 4K vs 8k#...

Cheers
You should also consider your rim size (height and width) and tire height. The more rubber the more spread.
I run 33's with 16X8 wheels.
I have run quite a few east coast beaches and never needed to air down less then 20lbs unless I was really in a jamb.
I gotta laugh when I see guys running 20" wheels and something like a 31" tire.
Attached Thumbnails
20171225_134237.jpg  
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:04 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
....I have run quite a few east coast beaches and never needed to air down less then 20lbs unless I was really in a jamb.
Have you managed to make it down to Assateague Island on the eastern Shore of MD? Wild Horses wandering throughout - pretty cool! About half way to the Virginia side is a place called the "bullpen". Only approved fully self contained RV's allowed - $150 permit (good for 12 months)...if you can make it there

Assateague Island - Visit the National Park and see the wild ponies

Caution though, Sand is so soft you'll likely sink to the axles - ask me how I know.
Took about 45 minutes to make a u-turn and return 150 yards to safety (big storm and high tide all rolling in at the same time). Had quite a crowd develope, was obvious majority rooting for Mother nature to win the race.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
A related question to airing down - what do you do about the engine light that says ‘low tire pressure’. It comes on and stays on forever. Do you just ignore it or reset it it every time?
I reset the light with a Ford TPMS reset tool. You can get them on Amazon for about $20. Turn key to ON, cycle the hazards 3 times and the horn will beep. Hold the tool next to the valve stem on drivers front and hit the button. Horn will sound when it's reset. Work your way around the van clock wise for each tire. EZPZ.
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Have you managed to make it down to Assateague Island on the eastern Shore of MD?
Been visiting Assateague for over 20 years, 15 of those in a SMB towing a trailer on the sand. There are some soft spots but I have yet to get stuck. Well actually, once.... but only bc it was pouring rain and I forgot to lock one of my hubs while soaking wet in a rush to air down..in the dark. Once I figured that out and i wasn't actually in 4 wheel drive, i drove right out....It's all about the correct tire pressure and making large gentle turns. I've seen smaller and larger rigs get stuck running street pressure and I've done my share of pulling folks out. I'd never attempt to pull anyone out unless they lowered their tires first, did some digging and at least tried to self extract. No sense in abusing my rig because someone was too lazy or didn't know any better.
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:52 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Have you managed to make it down to Assateague Island on the eastern Shore of MD? Wild Horses wandering throughout - pretty cool! About half way to the Virginia side is a place called the "bullpen". Only approved fully self contained RV's allowed - $150 permit (good for 12 months)...if you can make it there

Assateague Island - Visit the National Park and see the wild ponies

Caution though, Sand is so soft you'll likely sink to the axles - ask me how I know.
Took about 45 minutes to make a u-turn and return 150 yards to safety (big storm and high tide all rolling in at the same time). Had quite a crowd develope, was obvious majority rooting for Mother nature to win the race.
I've been to Assateague once, but Ive been to Chincoteague a number of times, including a number of late nights at Chatties.

Herb
Old 05-28-2019, 07:15 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogs View Post
Been visiting Assateague for over 20 years, 15 of those in a SMB towing a trailer on the sand. There are some soft spots but I have yet to get stuck...
Sounds like you have the correct formula working for you - Tire/Weight. At 11.500lbs my 35x12.5's sink even at 15psi. Assateague is the only place so far I've encountered this issue.