Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #1

What psi do you run in sand?

Drove down to Pacific City, OR today, first time attempting to take my e350 in sand. The beach access has an immediate uphill.. we aired down to 30 psi and still couldn’t make it up with 4hi on. Had to stop and back down the hill. I even got a good run at the hill, maybe 15-20 mph.
What do most people air down to in loose, dry sand?

JamesO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:53 PM   #2

On my last trip to Anza Borrego I aired down to 20 and appreciated the ride much better.
Ron_Nunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #3

Way too many variables...

I'm guessing my van is lighter than most here at ~8k fully loaded, likely more like 7k when running around the dunes, but here's my own experience:

For gritty desert sand, 20 psi is low enough. For powder at the beach/dunes/silt beds, as low as possible is your best bet. On my 10 ply 285's, that meant I could go to 8psi before the sidewall would start to fold. My 8 ply 315's can only get down to about 10 before showing the same deflection. Now, I wouldn't go spinning donuts at those pressures, but it's good to know the low end of your pressure range so you can go straight to it if you find yourself stuck in a bad way. I generally start off at 12-15psi (if you pull the valve core, it will start to whistle at ~15psi, YMMV) single digit pressures are reserved for last ditch extraction efforts. On a heavier rig, 20psi would be a reasonable starting point.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #4

I ran about 15 psi last time I went in the sand in mine.

Also know that if you keep going up the road to where the brewery is, there is a flat section to get onto the sand. That is where most of the 2WD cars enter, and the sand is nice and hard up there most days.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:34 AM   #5

Garage
I run 15 psi on regular offroad conditions and would go down under 10 for sandy conditions that don't have a speed component involved. This is on D-rated 35s for a 7k lb van

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #6

I had to run 8 psi in Florence.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:57 PM   #7

I stopped checking years ago. When they look good and fat, I stop and you'll know from seat of the pants if you need to take out more. Most of our off road time is on the beach towing a SMB trailer. One downside is I did take too much out once and popped a bead, but its only happened twice in 20 years. It's good to practice changing a tire in less than ideal conditions once and a while. Make sure you have a board to support the jack.
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:06 PM   #8

Half of my work on the OuterBanks is up in Carova ie the 4wd territory. I have never needed 4wd since my 2wd van rides better on the sand than any 4wd I’ve been in. I drop my 315/70/16 tires ton 8” rims to 12 psi. Pulling the work trailer I’ve gone down to 8psi a couple of times.
The van likes weight behind the rear axle without the trailer. I have a nitrogen bottle to refill the tires at the end of the day.
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
Drove down to Pacific City, OR today, first time attempting to take my e350 in sand. The beach access has an immediate uphill.. we aired down to 30 psi and still couldn’t make it up with 4hi on. Had to stop and back down the hill. I even got a good run at the hill, maybe 15-20 mph.
What do most people air down to in loose, dry sand?
About 15 PSI in most cases but this depends on your Tires to!.
Also like a few others have said My Van weighs 7200 unloaded. so you results may vary. 15 PSI is a good place to start assuming you have a good tire.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I had to run 8 psi in Florence.
Hurray for Florence .. Gold Beach here.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote