Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
? WHEELS ?

OK, so there has been many discussions about tires.... how about Wheels?

We are looking at 17 or 18 inch wheels. We will be looking for something rugged and not fancy

Who has either 17 inch or 18 inch?

What manufacturer? and which would you recommend?

Any wheel problems?

Since our SMB is being delivered to SMB West very soon for 4x4 conversion, wheels are our next decision to make.

Thanks,

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:54 PM   #2

Wheels

17x8 is perfect..... with 295/70/17 tires.. Big tires are tough on the suspension components. Aluminum wheels save a ton of weight,but they should be rated for 3000lbs load... You have to shop around for that rating. I like American racing or MT classics(Made by Alcoa)...

JM
Old 10-31-2007, 04:06 PM   #3

Agreed, I just went through the same research. I ended up with the Mickey Thompson Classic II 17x9 with 285/75 tires (32.8"). Get the 17's in case you want the brake upgrade. I feel the 18" wheels don't allow for enough tire flex unless you get monster tires. Also don't want to be accused of excessive bling.

tom.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by panion
I ended up with the Mickey Thompson Classic II 17x9 with 285/75 tires (32.8").
Wouldn't that be a 33.8" wheel (285/75/17)? I'm basing that on the following link http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html. I apologize if I'm being ignorant. Or did you mean a 285/70/17 which would be 32.7"?
Old 11-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #5

You got me, I'm sure about the diameter of the tire being just less than 33", so it must be the 285/70-17.

Tom.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #6

Sorry Tom, I definitely was not trying to get you. I'm just trying to learn as much about tires and wheels right now as possible, so I've been paying extra attention to these types of topics.

Right now, I'm leaning towards replacing the stock wheels/tires with 285/75/16 tires on 16 x 8 wheels. I guess I will need to figure out offsets and backspacing before I ever pull the trigger.

Specifically, here is what I'm thinking:

Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy Series 8069
Nitto Terra Grappler A/T

Also, the website that I linked to above appears to have incredibly good prices on tires and wheels, as well as packages (http://www.tirepackage.com).
Old 11-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #7

I like those rims. Mine are similar but the design is thicker (less hole I guess). Those are also the tires I'd like when I'm due... you need to buy those and put up pics so I can see how my van would look.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #8

I will definitely post pictures and give a quick review when I finally do swap out the wheels/tires. However, I don't think I will be pulling the trigger until this spring. We don't have any trips planned between now and then where our current setup will be problematic. So, I might as well get some more mileage on the stock tires.

The nice thing about the website that I mentioned above is that for the 5 tires/wheels, mounting & balancing and shipping will cost $1,366.33 right now. I had SMB trim the fenders already. So, I would still be saving around $550 over having SMB upgrade the tires/wheels, plus I can hopefully sell the stock tires/wheels to someone afterwards. I guess the only thing I'm not factoring in is a speedometer recalibration.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
Sorry Tom, I definitely was not trying to get you. I'm just trying to learn as much about tires and wheels right now as possible, so I've been paying extra attention to these types of topics.

Right now, I'm leaning towards replacing the stock wheels/tires with 285/75/16 tires on 16 x 8 wheels. I guess I will need to figure out offsets and backspacing before I ever pull the trigger.

Specifically, here is what I'm thinking:

Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy Series 8069
Nitto Terra Grappler A/T

Also, the website that I linked to above appears to have incredibly good prices on tires and wheels, as well as packages (http://www.tirepackage.com).
Love the rims, but I would have some reservations about the tires since they're only two ply sidewalls. All comes down to where you will be driving.

Herb
Old 11-01-2007, 11:43 AM   #10

I understand completely you keeping track of the tires and wheels info. I remember searching for pictures and looking for tire sizes in peoples signatures to try and figure out what size I wanted. Seems like most go for the 33" size and I think it's a great diameter for all around street and dirt use. I am surprised you aren't going with the 17" size wheel for a brake upgrade option in the future.

Nice choice on tires and wheels. I opted for the brushed aluminum look on wheels and decided to stick with BFG's since they have been so good to me in the past.

I ordered my wheels and tires from Tirepackage.com also. I got 5 wheels and 5 BFG all terrains for $1696 shipped to Arizona. They arrived quickly and were as advertised. I was impressed.

I have either 4.5 or 5" backspacing and I'm using a 2" steel spacer to match the track to the front.

Can't say how all this works yet as the van is still in the shop getting a front axle. Should be out next week. I'll post pictures and show an alternative 4x4 conversion method when it's finished.

Tom