Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2012, 12:07 PM   #1

Which winch (Warn M16.5k or M12000)?

Hi SMB team,

I have an E350 6.0 diesel with an Aluminess front bumper. The guys down at Aluminess have kindly said they would install a winch for me, next time I'm down that way.

Does anyone have experience with the Warn M16.5k versus the Warn M12000 for the E350, using an Aluminess front bumper?

Any reason to go with the 16.5k winch at all, with the E350?

Many thanks in advance for your comments and insights.

pd

parisdakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #2

Re: Which winch (Warn M16.5k or M12000)?

If you are really stuck (like buried to the frame in mud) the 12k probably won't cut it, without the use of a multi-part pull.

I have the 12k, but I understand a single-part line may not get me out, so I carry a couple snatch blocks, and some extra synthetic winch-line extension.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #3

I know the Warn M12000 is a tight fight in the Aluminess bumper. I'd suggest calling the guys at Aluminess and see if a 16.5 will fit. I seem to recall Kenny telling me it would but I think there is a trick to getting it installed. I would go as heavy duty as you can.

I put a Superwinch Talon 12.5 in my Aluminess bumper. I wish I had gone for the 14,000 pound winch instead. If you have any winch questions give Thor at Viking offroad a call. He really helped educate me about winch design.

http://www.vikingoffroad.com/

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #4

I also recall Kenny at Aluminess saying something about having to mount the 16.5 differently than the 12000. I think they had to flip it over (upside down?). I'll ask tomorrow.

pd
parisdakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #5

Go with a smaller lighter winch, snatch blocks and synthetic line. And I mean lighter than the 12000.

Unless you're planning on hauling your rig up a cliff or really like to make sure you're as stuck as possible before using the winch, I think you'll find that the snatch blocks will provide enough mechanical advantage that you're going to be able to do a pull with a smaller winch just fine.

I just discussed this with a rancher friend who is visiting. His response: "Just how bad do you have to be stuck to need a winch that big? Do you have to be buried up to the axles in a ravine to need that? Number one is not to get into something where you need a winch that big."

This is not a popular philosophy, but advice is free for a reason.

Or at least my advice is free for a reason.

FWIW, I don't have a winch yet, but I've pre-rigged my van for use of a Warn portable with receiver hitches front and rear along with pre-wired connectors for power at both end. When I get around to a winch, a portable will be enough. Plus I'll never have to do one of those fancy setups where you can use a front-mounted winch to pull you backwards.

2005 Ford E350 6.8L V-10 RB-50

redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #6

Winches can be used for more than pulling yourself out of a jam. They can also be used as a way to earn frosty beverages. It's not always about how deep you're stuck. How heavy and how deep is the beer truck in front of you burried? Do you really want to burn your 6,000lb ATV winch up trying to help the "Beer Man"?

As several of my boatin buddies are fond of saying "Go Big or Go Home". That applies to purchasing winch power as well as picking your line in a class V.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #7

Garage

Since this is turning into a philosophical discussion, I will share a philosophy that has served me well in areas like motorcycle size, gas tank capacity, firewood supply, ammunition purchase, and garage size:

"if some is good, more is better, and too much is just enough."

**I have never had a winch and the only time I've used one is to pull firewood logs out of the forest
Old 08-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #8

I had a winch on one my jeeps.

The only time I used it was to tension the cable.

But I do have a tendency to examine my proposed route and if it looks like I might need my winch I choose a different way.

And as my guru once said: It is cheaper to buy beer than to buy a winch and drive around looking for a stuck beer delivery truck.

2005 Ford E350 6.8L V-10 RB-50

redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock
And as my guru once said: It is cheaper to buy beer than to buy a winch and drive around looking for a stuck beer delivery truck.

Excellent!

Old 08-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

I feel picking a winch size is a personal choice that hinges on several factors. Like a high lift jack, it's just another tool in the toolbox. I talked to a guy who pulled a quality 4x4 bumper apart using a 12,000 warn winch. He had forgotten to engage the vans front hubs and was stuck in mud. The key here is not only knowing what is needed for the extrication but more important knowing the rating of the equipment being used. Incorrect rigging can be flat out dangerous. For example, I use 26,000 lb rated pull rope. I'd never use several snatch blocks to pull close to the ropes rating if the bumper can't take it.
A large winch is fine and can keep you from having to pull off enough rope to get to the equivalent sweet spot on the drum that the 12,000 lb winch needs to do the same job. It also might keep you from having to 2 block at times. But the bigger the winch, the more power it hogs and that needs to be taken into account. On the other hand, a 9000lb winch might not get you out of a jam if you single line plus the more you have to rig, the more it creates a chance for something bad to go wrong. Massive rigging might look cool but it’s a PITA and something I try to avoid. Getting out and back on the trail in the easiest quickest time is my goal.

I'm fine with a 12,000 lb winch using what I have. I think of a winch as an assist to get you safely clear of a situation, not something to dangerously drag you out. I'd be very careful if I had to drag a SMB out of a deep bog if the engine/drive train wasn't operating. Actually having seen several steel and braded ropes break I'm always careful while winching. JMO

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote