Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #1

Winch mounting

Finally may break down (no pun intended) and get a cheap winch.

The problem is how to mount it, since I have sorta stock bumpers. I do have a grill guard but it's only bolted to the frame and it doesn't have a mounting plate.

I do have a front receiver, however. It's not only bolted to the frame where the leaf springs also bolt on, but welded on as well. The receiver tube is welded on with the addition of some gussets. Basically the frame will pull apart before this thing fails.

I was thinking of chopping the plastic just above and in front of it away, and welding a winch plate over the top, so that the joint welded to the crossbar and receiver tube, so that it laid atop it like on a "T", probably with 1/4" plate. Does that seem about right? I don't have any bumpers to compare it with here, and they don't list any kind of specs for stuff like this.

The winch pull itself would be 12k; with a pulley it's more, but I have existing mounts for the other end of the pull.

Rob

Old 07-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Winch mounting

Check with Quadvan. They have a winch mount for stock bumpers, might be able to make it work with your setup.

http://www.quadvan.com/4x4-van-accessories.html
Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #3

Winch mounting

Or just get a front receiver winch mount from Etrailer or similar. Then you can remove it when you don't need it.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #4

I'm not inclined to replace the whole front bumper just to get winch mounting, but thanks for the tip on Quadvan.

I am considered a hitch mount. But even the beefiest is problematic with any kind of side pull. I've used them on other vehicles that are much lighter, and even then a side pull can bend it. Even though I've re-drilled and mounted it so that it is as close as possible to the frame. That's why I am considering welding onto the top of the receiver. It might still work if I could get an attachment point off to the side, but that seems like it wouldn't be an improvement on welding directly to the existing support. Or maybe just chop the receiver tube all the way back to the crossbar, insert a hitch-mounted plate, and weld both the tube and the sides to the crossbar? I'd lose the front hitch for other things, but I don't use it that much, and I could weld on brackets for the hi lift which is what I usually carry there.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #5

Winch mounting

Very true about the weight vs a side pull, our vans are about twice the weight of most other vehicles.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #6

Superwinch makes a great portable cradle mount winch set up for hitch. Seen them in action and they are super. Use front or rear with receiver.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #7

I've seen those as well, but I don't think they're sturdy enough for use with a 12K winch. I might get stuck with something like that (although I owned a Superwinch I purchased the Curtis mount for use on another vehicle; I thought it was beefier).

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Rob
Old 07-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #8

Check near the bottom of this page.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8697

Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #9

If you're referring to the 9K hitch plates, I imagine that's because class IV hitches are only rated to 10K. Looking at the bolts and metal I've seen some that would probably hold much more than that.

The irony is that I've seen some bumper-mounted winches that are very securely attached to the bumper, which is not-so-securely attached to the frame. I realize it's a trade-off; manufacturers want the bumper to fail and absorb the shock of an impact before it messes up the rest of the vehicle. I got the benefit of that when I was rear-ended once; the hitch and bumper bolts failed and hence there was no damage to the frame; if I had a bumper or hitch welded on there it probably would have bent them. And that would have been a real mess to repair.

Rob
Old 03-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #10

Well, bump.

I’m probably gonna cave and get me a winch, especially since HF seems to wanna give them away: I get about a coupon a week. I've been arguing with my compatriots that they're not so necessary, but after installing one on a Tracker I built up and sold, I’m starting to come around.

Aside from what I've already mentioned, anyone install a winch on something besides an aftermarket bumper?