Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #11

Garage
never used it myself, but imho, it doesn't seem as durable. I know its strong enough to replace the cable, but every time ive needed to winch someone out there were rocks, rough ground, and logs in the way. with the cable you can just slide right over the top of that kinda crap. with the synthetic rope I feel like that would ruin the integrity of the rope.

straight pull out vehicle to vehicle with no obstacles (I envision desert sand pull outs) I see the draw especially since you can put a considerable amount more line on the spool. however I use my winch more for pulling logs up to a road than extracting vehicles, so im stuck with cable....unless someone pipes up and convinces me otherwise. non vehicle recovery work is rough on a cable. seems to me it would ruin a nice synthetic line.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #12

Advantages synthetic rope over steel cable:
1. Stronger than steel cable
2. Easier to work with
3. Less cuts and minor injuries when handling (but always use gloves, and both synthetic rope and steel cable can kill when something brakes!)
4. Lighter (also important for wear and tear on your vehicle front end)

However:
1. Clean synthetic rope after use in mud or sand. As will all fabric, sand is not good.
2. Try to protect rope with a sleeve where it may pull across rock or sharp objects. This is where steel is better, but it is not absolute; steel cables can also break on sharp angles.
3. Try to protect the synthetic rope from UV. But steel can rust...
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
never used it myself, but imho, it doesn't seem as durable. I know its strong enough to replace the cable, but every time ive needed to winch someone out there were rocks, rough ground, and logs in the way. with the cable you can just slide right over the top of that kinda crap. with the synthetic rope I feel like that would ruin the integrity of the rope.

straight pull out vehicle to vehicle with no obstacles (I envision desert sand pull outs) I see the draw especially since you can put a considerable amount more line on the spool. however I use my winch more for pulling logs up to a road than extracting vehicles, so im stuck with cable....unless someone pipes up and convinces me otherwise. non vehicle recovery work is rough on a cable. seems to me it would ruin a nice synthetic line.
Agreed on all points. Synthetic is definitely more prone to damage from cuts or sharp edges. The benefit is it's lights. I've been thinking of going synthetic on my Jeep because vehicles like it are softly sprung and light themselves. The front end took a noticeable dive when I put a winch on it. On a 10k van? Who cares, I'd stick with cable until it rusts or otherwise dies, then possibly go synthetic.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:23 PM   #14

All very good and valid points.
I have used my winch 3 time in 16 years and that was to pull others out of trouble.
I'm sticking with cable until it dies.
Kind of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:12 PM   #15

I have a 12.5k "tuff stuff classic" winch on my van which weighs 6800lbs. I have been stuck in mud up to both axles several times and it pulled me straight out no snatch block or pulley. I will add that I had the steel cable out quite a ways so I only had 1-2 wraps.

If I could do it over again I would buy a bigger winch, probably 16k, but I had this left over from a car I used to drive so it wasn't really a decision.

I like the steel cable because it is tough enough to put up with my carelessness. I probably would have broken at least one synthetic line by now. Steel cable is much stronger and durable. Mine is mounted close to the radiator/engine where heat might damage a synthetic line.

Steel cable has literally been used over a century and is very tough stuff. It is also pretty common and can be replaced much more easily on the road. Cutting and putting on a new hook in an emergency doesn't require the ashley book of knots, just several wire clamps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG1013.jpg   IMAG1012.jpg  
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:01 AM   #16

On a topic related to winches, how is the bumper typically mounted? Do most aftermarket bumpers use the standard 4-bolt plates on the end of the frame rails, or should the convoluted section be strengthened/reinforced somehow?

I've searched and read other threads on this topic, including potential safety issues, but I haven't found any pictures and I thought this question relevant since a number of users who actually use their winches have chimed in here. I'm in the process of building a WIY Move bumper kit to mount a Powerplant 12. My particular Move kit is a prototype, so I'm basically on my own to create the mounting and winch/recovery reinforcements.

Based on what I've read, my conclusion thus far is that the 4-bolt mounts should be sufficiently strong. Do any of you have experience or evidence to the contrary?

Details that may be pertinent: I have a 2011 Quigley, which means shorter frame horns and longer mounts relative to 92-07 and no leaf spring mounts to reinforce the convoluted sections. I have no plans to do anything remotely extreme, so the winch will be used on an infrequent basis to recover my own vehicle (or others), pull downed trees off the trail, that sort of thing. Loaded vehicle weight is currently 8700lbs, but that will definitely be going up with the installation of the winch and bumper.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:49 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
On a topic related to winches, how is the bumper typically mounted? Do most aftermarket bumpers use the standard 4-bolt plates on the end of the frame rails, or should the convoluted section be strengthened/reinforced somehow?

I've searched and read other threads on this topic, including potential safety issues, but I haven't found any pictures and I thought this question relevant since a number of users who actually use their winches have chimed in here. I'm in the process of building a WIY Move bumper kit to mount a Powerplant 12. My particular Move kit is a prototype, so I'm basically on my own to create the mounting and winch/recovery reinforcements.

Based on what I've read, my conclusion thus far is that the 4-bolt mounts should be sufficiently strong. Do any of you have experience or evidence to the contrary?

Details that may be pertinent: I have a 2011 Quigley, which means shorter frame horns and longer mounts relative to 92-07 and no leaf spring mounts to reinforce the convoluted sections. I have no plans to do anything remotely extreme, so the winch will be used on an infrequent basis to recover my own vehicle (or others), pull downed trees off the trail, that sort of thing. Loaded vehicle weight is currently 8700lbs, but that will definitely be going up with the installation of the winch and bumper.
I mounted my 12k winch with/on a draw tight hitch using the stock bumper with few modifications . You can check out my thread. http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ion-20537.html
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4600 4.jpg   DSCF4698.jpg   DSCF4694 7.jpg  
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:53 PM   #18

That's a pretty slick setup! Kind of makes me wish I wasn't going through all this trouble and expense to mount the PowerPlant, but that boat has already sailed.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:31 PM   #19

Is a front receiver hitch rated for 12,000 pounds? Did you beef up the mounting ears and bolts? My front receiver only has four bolts attaching it to the frame, and I highly doubt they would withstand a really heavy pull.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #20

Garage
My curt front receiver is only rated for 9k.

Specs from etrailer.

Front Hitch Specs:
Custom Fit Hitch
Front Mount Hitch
Square Tube
500 lbs Vert Load
9000 lbs Line Pull
2 Inch Hitch
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote