Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #121

That’s the 5-incher on the driver’s side?

eradikate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:24 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradikate View Post
That’s the 5-incher on the driver’s side?
The Flarespace pods for Sprinters are available in 3 in and 5 in depths. The 3 in pods are required in any location where a sliding door overlaps a pod, otherwise the door would hit the pod. In locations where there is no overlap, either a 3 in or 5 in can be used. BCG has the 144 in wheelbase with a slider on the passenger side, requiring that pod to be 3 in. His 5 in pod is on the driver's side.

If you have sliders on both sides of a 144 in wheelbase Sprinter, both must be 3 in. On the extended and long length Sprinter, sliders on either side do not go far enough back to hit the pod, so 3 in or 5 in pods can be used on either or both sides, regardless of where sliders are located. The super-short L1H1 and L1H2 Sprinters (I think WB is ~ 128") are sold in Europe only; there are no Flarespace pods for these units. (ICBW, but I believe L1, L2, L3, and L4 are designations for the 4 available Sprinter lengths and H1, H2, and H3 for the three available heights.) I think there is a European pod producer who sells only in Europe for the L2, L3, and L4 models, but again, ICBW on that.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:19 PM   #123

Kate,

Yes the pod on the drivers side is the 5" pod. I debated originally about leaving a window out and just going with 3" on both sides. But the 5" is still a good look and the additional bump out isn't that obtrusive.

I did this since we are essentially losing 3/4'-1" of space due to the windows. In reality we would lose a bit due to the extreme insulation anyway. You can see some of the insulation which is exposed on the interior pictures I posted.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:00 PM   #124

Alex,
That’s why I asked, because it looks so good. I’m with you on the windows for both sides, even though you lose a little bit of space. Looking forward to seeing where the platform ends up. Keep posting as you get them!
eradikate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:46 PM   #125

Flarepod Modification as of 08-Jan-2019

The flarepod modification is going very well. Attached are a few photos as of Tuesday, Jan 8th.

I expect to pick up the vehicle around Feb 10th or so.

I like the pictures as the work progresses. Details such as the insulation are great to see before the interior panels go back up!

As usual, great work from Peter, Brian, and the folks at SMB Fresno!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7732.JPG   IMG_7731.JPG   IMG_7729.JPG   IMG_7730.JPG   IMG_7733.JPG  

Old 01-07-2019, 11:20 PM   #126

Alex,

Looking good! As I recall, you are having a custom mattress made. When will you know enough to place the order, and following that, how long to have it made?
Old 01-09-2019, 04:28 AM   #127

Tim,

I probably won't place the order for the mattress until I get home. The height of the bed platform is still being worked, but I expect that to be in place shortly.

I believe we're going to use the Froli Spring System as the base, then go with a custom fit memory foam mattress on top of that. There is an outfit in Everett WA, about 60 miles from my house, which we'll do that.

I'll swing by so they can do their measurements and I would expect we'll have the mattress about two weeks after that.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:28 PM   #128

Final Details - Bed Platform

I had a good phone conversation with Peter Del Toro yesterday. The final details are coming into place for the flarepod modification.

The bed platform will end up being 5" below the lower height of the flarepod inserts.

This will allow for:
1. Froli spring set as first step on platform.
2. 4" custom memory foam mattress to fill the platform space up to the level of the lower height of the inserts.
3. A 1'-2" memory foam mattress topper on that to fill into the pod inserts.

All this will be set-up permanently. The platform will be 55" wide.

There will be plenty of room underneath the permanent platform. Once this is complete I'll post final build pictures.

Forward of the bed platform will be two 20" bench seats, both drivers side and passengers side.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:53 PM   #129

Final Flarepod Modification Specifics.

Based on my conversation with Peter Del Toro:
  • Bed platform will be 5” below the lower edge of the flarepod inserts. I’ll make the froli spring set and mattress to fit that space, up to that edge.
  • I’ll then have a 1”-2” memory foam topper on that which will cover the mattress and into the flarepod recesses.
  • Bed platform to be 55” wide.
  • The 5” below flarepod final bed height will still allow a comfortable space to access the enclosures underneath. I envision using a few plastic milk crate type containers as additional storage on those,secured by bungee cords.
  • The bed platform 55” width will allow two 20”bench seats forward of the platform, same grey cloth materials and general makeup as the original couch. The bench seats will have one of the access hatches underneath. I would think the bench seat cushions will use snaps to hold in place.
  • Only seat belts left will be for the bench seats, so one each side.
  • The driver’s side SMB will make a small box,set-up against the closet space/side of van, to mount the heater/D5 controls. This will be all above the driver’s side bench seat.
  • The driver’s side above the platform will have the elastic pouch type storage we have on the rear opening doors for books,Ipad, phone storage, etc. This will allow us to sit up in bed on that side.
The access hatches will be completely removable, looking somewhat like the attached pictures (the attached pictures are from the v-berth in my sailboat)with a routered out recess edge for the hatches to set into. Hatch edges also then routered to fit. I’m happy with the size of the hatches SMB sent me pictures of previously, that looks like plenty of access/room. In reality, I’ll only be accessing the water tank on a regular basis in order to fill it. The electrical and D5 system will be sporadic.

If the window pull down shades are not available to fit those size windows, we discussed having the silver insert coverings as well as the snap hook type coverings in grey cloth we have for the forward window and the slider window. We really like those coverings and use them all the time.

Randy, the SMB West audio/electronics guy, will install a DROID MOBILE module. This will give us additional redundancy to monitor the vehicle while we're away (probably in a brewery somewhere...) when our dogs are in the van.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190108_133308877.jpg  
Old 01-30-2019, 12:19 AM   #130

Flarepod Modification Update

The flarepod modification is almost complete. The interior has essentially been filled in, only the bench seats and some minor items left to go.

The final specifications for the platform was 4.5" below the pod lower edge. The memory foam mattress seen in the photos is a stop-gap mattress, along with the memory foam topper seen shoved between the front seats.

Once I get home the Froli spring set will go in as the base and the new permanent mattress will be template and then built to fit exact.

The space below the platform is about 9". Enough access for me, but if I need more there is always a future mod where I can have access plates built into the platform as well.

I also need to see how the aft section of the bed platform pans out since a bit of it isn't inside the pod bump outs.

I anticipate only needing to access the water tank on the passenger side aft on a regular basis.

I pick the van up on 11-Feb in Fresno.

The inaugural flarepod modification trip from Fresno trip will be snowboard related:
1. Mammoth CA
2. Sun Valley ID
3. Schweitzer ID
4. Revelstoke BC
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0245.jpg   IMG_0238.jpg   IMG_7880.JPG   IMG_0242.jpg   IMG_0237.jpg  

IMG_0239.jpg