Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2018, 11:40 PM   #51

Tom,

I haven't asked Brian. My plan is to wait until I get down there to find out, as I've inundated him with emails lately. He tells me the space on the passenger side is adequate, so I'm going with that.

I think option #2 is pricey enough. I like the idea of the single batteries weight, but the increase in price is too much, even for us. The extra $12,800 for #2 is more than enough. I think more than a few folks will balk at that even, but at this point we are fully committed to the lithium profile and I'm good with it.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:49 PM   #52

The only real downside I see is the increased space of the two 300AH batteries. The weight difference is:

600AH battery: 155 lbs
300AH battery: 87 lbs EA, 174 lbs total

That seems negligible to me based on the price. And it will be (I'm guessing, it seems logical) easier to replace each battery based on weight/size/price if it ever comes down to that.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:04 AM   #53

those costs seem crazy (generally)

why not wait a coupe years and redo when the technology is ....maybe... twice as good at 1/2 the cost?

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:15 AM   #54

LA,

I agree in principle. However, the main reason for this system is to keep the rooftop AC running for 2-3 hours with the engine off in town. Typically in places like West Yellowstone MT(town, not park), Bozeman MT, Winthrop WA you can't leave the vehicle running while you're away at a local taphouse or place to eat. Even in Anacortes WA we'd love to be able to park and head into town for 2-3 hours, but are limited by city ordinance.

Can't do that with the standard AGM system. It's well worth it to us. There have been times in our Tacoma and then 4Runner we've driven around looking for shady spots for 45 minutes so we could leave our dogs for an hour. even with the windows down a few inches.

It's a lot of money to essentially make two dogs happy... We don't run the AC at all while camping. We use screens and keep everything open.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:17 AM   #55

LA,

I agree in principle. However, the main reason for this system is to keep the rooftop AC running for 2-3 hours with the engine off in town. Typically in places like West Yellowstone MT(town, not park), Bozeman MT, Winthrop WA you can't leave the vehicle running while you're away at a local taphouse or place to eat. Even in Anacortes WA we'd love to be able to park and head into town for 2-3 hours, but are limited by city ordinance.

Can't do that with the standard AGM system. It's well worth it to us. There have been times in our Tacoma and then 4Runner when we've driven around looking for shady spots for 45 minutes so we could leave our dogs for an hour. Even with the windows down a few inches at that on a typical 85-90 degree western states summer day it's too hot for them so we are rushed to get back.

It's a lot of money to essentially make two dogs happy and cool... We don't plan to run AC at all while camping. We will use screens and keep everything open.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:46 PM   #56

Initial Delivery Tour

We are fast approaching our delivery date of later 1/2 of May from SMB West. After that it's down to Agile Offroad for the suspension work, new tires/rims, aux fuel tank, winch, etc.

So far I'm looking at the below destinations, in order, once I start winding my way north to Bellingham Washington. these are the only set places I plan on.
1. Joshua Tree NP
2. Death Valley NP
3. Great Basin NP

I'm also going to bring my BLM book and plan on camping at various spots off the grid on BLM land. Anyone have any suggestions or favorites going roughly WNW to NNW from Great Basin NP?

I believe on this trip I'm going to stay roughly east of the straight line up to Washington. Eastern part of Oregon, into Idaho, then turn west once in Washington. Stop in North Cascades NP or the Okanagan once to the Cascades.

I'm really looking forward to this initial trip after almost 20 months of anticipation from first deposit. I haven't set a time limit on it, but I would think roughly three weeks from the time I leave Agile.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:49 AM   #57

Sounds great BCguy. I can't offer any places to camp but am glad to see your van finally getting done.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:58 AM   #58

Sounds like a great plan! Suggestion, be open to the possibility of swinging back through Fresno on your way north. By that point in time you will have some time with the van and you just may want to drop by to have something "tuned up".

BTW, which of the Aero tanks did you decide to go with? The larger one on the driver's side or the smaller one on the passenger's side? Of course we will want pictures and a full report!
Old 03-27-2018, 10:12 PM   #59

Fitz,

I'm going with the 20 gallon tank on the drivers side. SMB is leaving that section underneath clear of any protuberances or obstructions which would inhibit the install of the tank. Grey water tank, etc is all on the passengers side.

I'm chomping at the bit here. I'm a little uneasy about not being able to visit the build frequently due to being overseas until early May. I do trust SMB but my experience with boat overhauls/rebuilds of an extensive nature is there always seems to be something that isn't installed or placed exactly as discussed or perhaps not conveyed by me correctly.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:15 PM   #60

Hi BCG,

I saw your rig this morning. Looks sweet! Your lithium batteries have not arrived yet, so there was no power inside the rig for lights (and my cheap phone has no flash). It was parked along a dark wall, sandwiched between other vehicles. Brian had to remain with me while I snapped a few pictures as they wouldn't let me just hang out playing photographer. I did get several shots, but they are going to be disappointingly dark. They also haven't yet replaced your Aluminess ladder with the VC ladder, but Brian says don't panic, it'll get changed.

I have to text the pics from my phone to my email, download on the computer, then upload to here. Gimme a few hours to get that done.

I learned a fair amount about the Sprinter delivery queue, new lithium offerings, why the continued delay with the Classic. I also saw a Sprinter a guy had taken to AO and had both the 20 gal and the 14 gal Aero aux fuel tanks installed. You'd think he's going to transit the Sahara in that thing. I will post info on all these various topics in the appropriately related threads.

Fitz, I'm sending Brian the pic of your mounted Pul-Pal as he wants to see that.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote