Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2018, 03:32 PM   #81

Great stuff Alex, thanks for taking the time. Two quick questions: (1) what brand is the second alternator and did it fit the factory option MB 2d alternator bracket and (2) did you not even need the roof AC when you were parked to eat or shop in town, to keep the dogs cool in hot weather? That’s one of my main reasons for having the lithium build and AC. Thanks again for all the info!

eradikate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:24 PM   #82

Kate,

The 2nd alternator brand was Nations, which is the typical alternator that SMB uses as the 2nd alternator. Fits exact on the MB bracket, no issues. I'll post a couple pictures when I post the Agile work, you can see the alternator above the Van Compass skid plate.

We have noticed that when we arrive at someplace hot, the temp in the van is still around 68-70 or so with the van A/C. In Bend OR it was almost 100 but after parking, setting up the window coverings, using the rooftop fan the temp stayed at about 75 in the van.

In addition, I have three methods of checking the interior temp of the van remotely:
1. COMPUSTAR system remote
2. DRONE MOBILE module, connected to my phone which has an app.
3. TEMP STICK, which is connected through our VERIZON JETPACK which we leave in the van.

If the temp starts rising to the point we are concerned I can always start the van remotely with the van AC set on high for 30 minutes or so. We have yet had a need to do this though.

But really, we are hardly ever away from the van in places we like to go without our dogs. Certainly Bend OR is a prime example. It is a dog friendly place and we sat outside at a local craft brew pub more than once, dogs in tow. There is pretty much a brew pub on every corner in that town, all dog friendly...

Doing laundry we are parked in the lot with the van door and windows open, one of us at the van while the other cycles the laundry. Same with grocery shopping.

We decided we'd prefer to have a rooftop fan above the bed aft once the flare pods are completed. Two rooftop fans are going to give us a huge amount of air flow.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:11 AM   #83

Alex,

So glad that I can now publicly say Congratulations! It's been hard waiting all these months not to post here, but you deserved to tell the story yourself. Thanks for keeping me updated for all these months re. how things have been going and also for stopping by to let me see the van in person. Can't wait 'till we have ours and can do some outings together.

Again, really happy for you and the wife.

Tom
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:41 AM   #84

Onboard air compressor

Installed at SMB West during initial build.

We have used this extensively to air the tires back up after coming off an unimproved road. This in combination with the Agile installed adjustable fox shocks make for great ride improvement on crap logging roads.

Air down to 25PSI for unimproved roads. Air up to approximately 60PSI rear and 45PSI front when returning to paved roads.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180709_121918193.jpg   IMG_20180709_120722640_LL.jpg  
Old 10-27-2018, 05:39 AM   #85

Aluminess Equipment

We have installed:
1. Aluminess Roof rack. Installed at SMB West
2. Aluminess rear bumper: Installed at Agile Offroad

Quality products, absolutely top-notch. Aluminess is right across the street from Agile so they work closely together.

The Aluminess roof rack is problematic for me at the moment. We are still figuring out it's utility for longer trips. So far it's a glorified solar panel mount... I'm sure when we're gearing up for Alaska and then possibly a cross-Canada trip in 2020 we'll have items we'll store up there. I've also thought about a large 600L Yakima storage box which we could mount on the Yakima cross-bars we have.

In the winter I'm sure our skis and snowboards will be up there.

The Aluminess rear bumper with spare tire and galley box is awesome. The galley box I use for air compressor hose/fittings, shore power cord (sorry, I call it shore power - years of boating), misc. tool kits. It is used all the time. The spare tire access advantage is clear.

The only issue I have, and this is not a Aluminess or Agile issue, is that if you decide to go this way and have parktronic the parktronic needs to be disabled every time you start the vehicle. The parktronic also doesn't work for the front bumper with the new hidden Agile winch install.

This isn't a problem for us, all the other electronic safety features work such as lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180608_165351592 - Copy.jpg   IMG_20180608_092227598_HDR - Copy.jpg  
Old 10-27-2018, 06:08 AM   #86

Mosquito Netting

We had these nets as an option from SMB West. It's probably the one feature which I do not like as built.

The netting is attached by Velcro all the way around the openings, both sliding van door and rear opening doors. It is laborious and difficult to install. I took them off when I got home.

I have a yacht cushion/fabric outfitter in our home town of Bellingham WA who this spring will redo these nets. The way to do it is to make a permanent zippered border around each edge, not to interfere with normal use. The nets would then roll up and secure at the top and then lower when needed. It's much easier to zip something up or down as opposed to getting the Velcro edges to line up all the way around.

We will definitely need these for our Alaska trip and any trip into the interior of Canada or northern plains.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180530_095149748 - Copy.jpg  
Old 10-27-2018, 07:44 AM   #87
tlg

Garage
Great looking build. Congrats!
Old 10-27-2018, 12:23 PM   #88

Wow, this flow of great information is putting you up there with Fitz as a SMB-Sprinter guru! Thanks for sharing with the community!
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #89

I plan to go with custom screens from Rolef.ca. They’re definitely pricey but get great reviews and look very durable. They’ll ship the kits (side door and/or rear doors), install at their place in Quebec or for $200, meet you and your van at any international airport in the U.S. to install them.
eradikate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #90

Those look pretty nice! Thanks

Did you look at these: https://rbcomponents.com/collections...g-door-bug-net
barrel47 is offline   Reply With Quote