Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2017, 08:18 PM   #41
Site Team

At a minimum, MB needs to sweeten the pot, assuming you'd even consider a high top version. They should offer a substantial discount, and extended factory warranty at no cost, and all add-ons for free.

Sad thing is, MB probably knows they can sell the rig at MSRP if you walk away from it, so their incentive may be low.

Herb

Old 10-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #42

That is just heartbreaking. We have been going through the same kind of stuff with a major home builder who keeps experiencing delay after delay without telling us anything and changing things without telling us. We are now a year and a half into the process. Some contractors we have lined up to do more stuff on the house after we get it are doing the same thing. It feels like no one wants to be responsible or take pride in doing a good job or keeping their word any more. Very discouraging. I hope things take a turn for the better.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:12 PM   #43

For what it is worth, I ordered my 2017 Sprinter myself from my local Freightliner dealer to bring to SMB for the build. I had a great experience with the Freightliner Dealer. He got me exactly what I wanted (although I didn't order a 4WD model) and I got it in about 5 months. I also saved about $1500-2000 from the SMB price. I now also have relationship with a local service center and probably better access to all the Freightliner service centers across the country since it is badged a Freightliner vehicle. My local service center is even open evening and Sundays for the truckers.

When I walked out the door with the van they gave me a list of their service prices which are pretty reasonable. For example, the Service A (oil change) is $175 (the oil and filter themselves are $100). The Service B is $325 and a fuel filter replacement is $159. I have seen prices from MB dealers well over twice these prices and they don't work nights and weekends. I think I made the right decision buying the van on my own. SMB couldn't care less where I got it.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:20 AM   #44

Garage
Hi Velo47,

I'd be pissed...now I feel bad about telling everybody my van arrived a few weeks ago and is in the que for a build. Can't imagine waiting 1yr. 2wks like I did, for a van you didn't order. You would think MBZ and SMB would find a 4x4 lo roof in the US and do a dealer trade, I searched in my area and found one at a local dealer. On the other hand the 4x4 hi roof is very cool and would still be great ride, but...
Steadijib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux View Post
when you're plopping down 100k+, you should get what you asked for. This is also smb's problem as they are the acting dealer in this case. I know my companies customers don't really care about our supply issues nor should they. You ordered, they made the commitment, they need to make good on it.

There are sprinters on ebay right now. Brand new.
this!!!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #46

One thing to do. Get on the horn with SMB and if they can't get the van, find out what exact specifications they need for the conversion and hit the internet and get your van. Start searching inventory on every MB dealer in your area and move outward. Check Autotrader, Cars, Ebay, Craigslist, everything.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #47

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadijib View Post
Hi Velo47,

I'd be pissed...now I feel bad about telling everybody my van arrived a few weeks ago and is in the que for a build. Can't imagine waiting 1yr. 2wks like I did, for a van you didn't order. You would think MBZ and SMB would find a 4x4 lo roof in the US and do a dealer trade...
Yeah, we were all excited when you got yours because we were on almost the same timeframe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
One thing to do. Get on the horn with SMB and if they can't get the van, find out what exact specifications they need for the conversion and hit the internet and get your van. Start searching inventory on every MB dealer in your area and move outward. Check Autotrader, Cars, Ebay, Craigslist, everything.
SMB has, hopefully, found us a very similar van in TX. It is white, not pebble grey. White was our second choice. At least now people won't accuse us of completely copying Fitz! It has a few options we didn't order and doesn't have a few we did, but all the important stuff is there. We are very hopeful this will work out.
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:17 PM   #48

WONDERFUL!!!
Keep us posted.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:33 PM   #49

That's good news!
Old 10-25-2017, 05:19 PM   #50

Glad to hear that it may be taking a positive turn! We're three plus months away from the one year mark, wondering what SNAFU scenario awaits the rest of us...?
Fingers crossed ya'll get this resolved to your satisfaction.
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2017, 4x4, diesel, sprinter