Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #1

2018 Sprinter Major Changes Electric in 2019

Thanks to Backcountryguy for sending me this link.

The news outlet is in the UK and I don't know if this is European only or if any of this will be available in the US. SMB-W had been under the impression that almost no changes would be made from 2017 to 2018. This article indicates a major overhaul. Also available in 2019-an electric Sprinter. I don't think I want to be the first one to take that on a long expedition into Canyonlands NP or Death Valley. Plenty of sun there, but I'd worry a lot about range in those demanding conditions.

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:02 AM   #2
PvT

Very interesting to see a gasoline engine option on the Canadian website teaser page: https://www.mercedes-benz-vans.ca/en/the-new-sprinter/

For example; a great fit for those wanting to travel in Mexico and beyond considering the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel availability issues.

Peter
PvT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:31 AM   #3

Thanks for sharing that PvT. Man, I love that infotainment system with navigation, 360° camera, 10+" screen, and integrated smartphone dock. I hope I am able to get these new gadgets on my rig.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
PvT

You are welcome TomH, happy to contribute. Nice additions, hopefully nothing good will be omitted. Looks good so far!
PvT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #5

TomH,
What say SMB West regarding production and arrivals?
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmMay View Post
TomH,
What say SMB West regarding production and arrivals?
I have not heard a thing. Will probably email Brian this weekend to ask about 2018 differences and what options we need to review in light of these new revelations. I'm just wondering how much of all this will reach the US this year.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #7

I have never owned a 4x4 vehicle...

from the Mercedes.ca website:

".... the new Sprinter is available with an electronically engaged 4-wheel drive system that eliminates mechanical 4x4 differential locks."

is this a good thing?

what may the benefits be?

thanks.

John
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post

".... the new Sprinter is available with an electronically engaged 4-wheel drive system that eliminates mechanical 4x4 differential locks."

is this a good thing?

thanks.

John
I don't think that's any different from now. It basically is an electronic AWD system. The optional low range is achieved with an extra planetary. And likewise at the axles, torque biasing is achieved solely through the ABS system. Basically, it delivers power the same way 90% of crossover SUVs do, but without automatic engagement. In fact, the current system isn't even shift on the fly for some reason, which is bizarre in a system that can't send full torque either way.

The benefits are mostly cost and packaging. The only other benefit I can think of, us there's no way to accidentally put the T-case in Neutral like a mechanical transfer case.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post

is this a good thing?

thanks.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I don't think that's any different from now. It basically is an electronic AWD system. The optional low range is achieved with an extra planetary. And likewise at the axles, torque biasing is achieved solely through the ABS system. Basically, it delivers power the same way 90% of crossover SUVs do, but without automatic engagement. In fact, the current system isn't even shift on the fly for some reason, which is bizarre in a system that can't send full torque either way.

The benefits are mostly cost and packaging. The only other benefit I can think of, us there's no way to accidentally put the T-case in Neutral like a mechanical transfer case.
I notice the website is dot ca rather than dot com. Does Canada get any of the European models that the US doesn't? Sprinters in Europe do have differential locks as an option. Is it possible they really are referring to mechanically locking differentials that are being replaced by electrically controlled lockers and that it is not about LSD?
Old 02-13-2018, 09:33 PM   #10

It looks like the vehicle I linked in Post 1 will be arriving in the US in late2018:

Mercedes-Benz Unveils New 2018 Sprinter and Announces Electric Variant - The Drive