Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #1

Question 2019 Gas Sprinter - not much torque? 9 speed transmission

Hi all

here is a 20 minute video about the 2019 Sprinter..... a few details sprinkled in it.... you sort of have to watch it all to get the few details. It is not concise.

at about 8:30 they talk about engines coming to the USA for the 2019 model.

We would not want to buy Diesel - dont want to deal with DEF, and dont want to deal with different bio-diesel % worry.... also would like the ability to go into Mexico. (etc)

so assuming we buy the GAS 2019 sprinter.... is the torque they talk about kind of whimpy?

Gas comes with a 9 speed transmission, according to the lady in the video who works for Mercedes.

i should mention ... we'd be getting the 24' 3500 Sprinter.... so not a light vehicle! and we'd have beds / shower / gear in the back.

I know the 9 speed transmission would help.... but .... a bit worried.

thanks.

thanks.

John

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #2

That's not a lot of torque (258 lb-ft).
look at this list... you're down in VW golf territory with those numbers.

Production Car Torque List - Most Powerful Production and Classic Cars List by lb-ft of Torque in Order | Figures, Specs, BHP, Top Speed and More

Ecoboost Transit is 400lb-ft. Rumored to be getting the 10 speed trans for '19.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post

Production Car Torque List - Most Powerful Production and Classic Cars List by lb-ft of Torque in Order | Figures, Specs, BHP, Top Speed and More

Unfortunately we really want 4x4 and I don’t want to deal with aftermarket conversion on the Transit to 4x4

Plus Transit doesn’t come in 24’ AFAIK.

;-)
Old 04-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post

Over on the Class B forum - a user there chimed in on my thread there about this concern, and he said

“I have a 2014 Sprinter RV with the OM651 I4/7-speed drivetrain. It's specs are:

163 PS (120 kW; 161 hp)@3800, 360 N⋅m (266 lbf⋅ft)@1400–2400

So, the new gas engine has more horsepower, insignificantly less torque, and two extra gears.

It is a fully-equipped B-van, including four Group 31 batteries, an Onan genset, a large inverter, and a second engine alternator. It is 22’ 8”. Weighs in at around 9500 lbs.

My rig drives like a dream. I am sure the new engines will even better. I wouldn't worry about it.”

So that is great news.

:-)

John
Old 04-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #5

anyone here with a gas sprinter from an earlier year - how does it drive, engine wise?

Old 04-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #6

That's basically the same torque my Focus makes, also from a 2.0 liter turbo. The lower HP in the Sprinter basically means its not tuned for high RPMs, so around town, it should feel similar to the diesel, especially with the 9-speed. Remember, gearing can multiply torque, so the deep gears of the 9-speed will get it off the line reasonably well, as long as they don't use a super tall differential ratio.

190 HP in a full size van however, isn't great. You'll probably keep up with traffic, but have no reserve for passing, or towing. On a power/weight ratio, that's worse than my Fiesta 1.0-turbo pulling a 2,000 LB trailer. (5,000 lbs overall, for 40-pounds/horsepower). If you load up a Sprinter to 11,000 pounds, which is likely on an Super-long body, that's pushing 58-lbs/horsepower. That's still half the weight/horsepower compared to semis, but worse than I think any other light vehicle on the market in North America.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
That's basically the same torque my Focus makes, also from a 2.0 liter turbo. The lower HP in the Sprinter basically means its not tuned for high RPMs, so around town, it should feel similar to the diesel, especially with the 9-speed. Remember, gearing can multiply torque, so the deep gears of the 9-speed will get it off the line reasonably well, as long as they don't use a super tall differential ratio.

190 HP in a full size van however, isn't great. You'll probably keep up with traffic, but have no reserve for passing, or towing. On a power/weight ratio, that's worse than my Fiesta 1.0-turbo pulling a 2,000 LB trailer. (5,000 lbs overall, for 40-pounds/horsepower). If you load up a Sprinter to 11,000 pounds, which is likely on an Super-long body, that's pushing 58-lbs/horsepower. That's still half the weight/horsepower compared to semis, but worse than I think any other light vehicle on the market in North America.
thanks for the thoughts.

I can't imagine a scenario in that we would ever tow, but passing... yes.

I cant figure out why they would put such a gutless gas engine in...

thanks
Old 04-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #8

That's the way the rest of the world does it, and always has. We're the only ones who get horsepower.....and 20 cup holders.....And seats wide enough for two.........etc.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
Unfortunately we really want 4x4 and I don’t want to deal with aftermarket conversion on the Transit to 4x4
If you want a 4x4 Sprinter the only engine option will be the V6 Diesel, although for 2019 at least it gets the 7 speed automatic transmission.

The smaller I4 gas and Diesel engines will only be available on 2wd Sprinter models.
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
If you want a 4x4 Sprinter the only engine option will be the V6 Diesel, although for 2019 at least it gets the 7 speed automatic transmission.

The smaller I4 gas and Diesel engines will only be available on 2wd Sprinter models.
It is my understanding, from a reliable source, that the 4x4 will be available in gas in 2019.

I hope i am correct.

do you have a web link that indicates v6 Diesel only for 4x4?

thanks