Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #11

Thanks for all the comments and advice, and after some additional study a few more conclusions and information:

1. Weight and increasing load bearing with it I will table until we get further down the path. I overstated the solar panels by 60 lbs, and will likely keep them given induction stove top use, microwave, and Danhard AC. If I maintain the SMB compressor on the passenger side, that is an addition of approximately 30 lbs and then add the Agile 20 gallon (if not the VC new 40 total), and additional 30 lbs., it gets me back to approximately where I was hoping. [ Given Sramco's comment above on my weight, could be some wishful thinking here but I am hoping the upgraded suspension can compensate for some of this.] By the way, has anyone upgraded their brakes or braking system given added weight?

2. I have confirmed the Danhard goes in the spare tire wheel well. Pictures of the space behind the rear differential are below. Looks like a good space, protected by the differential forward. My concern will be the extent to which it can be caught going up an incline. Will investigate whether VC can provide some measure of protection.

3-4: Tires and weight: Looks like I will go with either the 285/70/17 (32.7") or the 34x10.5/17LT (33.5"). I am leaning toward the VC Stage 6 to accomplish this. The stock tire is the 245/75/16 which is 30.5" . As I understand the calculations:

30.5 x Pi (3.14159) = 95.95
32.7 x Pi= 102.87
33.5 x Pi= 105.24

102.87/95.95 - 1 x 100= 7.212%
105.24/95.95 - 1 x 100= 9.68%

4.18 gear/3.92-1 x 100= 6.6%

6.6 - 7.212 = - .612% (I believe slower)
6.6 - 9.680 = -3.080% (I believe slower)

I am assuming that a tuner can match the gear and loss in speed, but the loss doesn't seem significant. I am assuming either will add more weight but will be tolerable given my build. Appreciate the information on the high lift jack, and the new ARB looks interesting. Will see if VC can integrate into their rock sliders.

5. Working on a backup battery system to the engine battery through the lithium house. Still inclined to keep the snorkel given that the SMB compressor should work on passenger side.

6. Going to stick with the SMB compressor for now but the dual ARB is nice. Will come down to weight and space and priorities, and a bit more study.

7. 230 Watt solar panels and 600 lithium- fuel for microwave, Danhard, induction, hair dryer for the wife, etc.- I know the alternator would handle it but its my retirement present:
Watts/ 12 Volt = 19.07 amps of charge per hour
600 am hours/ 19.07= 31.30 hours to charge
Add 10%
35 hours to fully charge.

8. Not sure if the Peddle Box will address the gearing issue mentioned above and whether or not it even needs to be addressed. Would prefer not to waste a warranty over it. Anyone know if the Peddle Box will jeopardize the warranty, or is it considered like any other tuner.

9. Roof rack design with forward solar panels still need to be determined. Will mount high lift high for security, etc. up high. Still inclined toward VC ladder integrated with sliders. Don't particularly like the VC high lift system attached on the side to the ladder, but it is clearly more accessible- I'm hoping not to have to use it- .

10. Unless there is some "got to have reason" for the extra Mercedes battery, for now inclined to keep the snorkel. Looks like the extra fuel and compressor location and type will have a lot to do with this. I can also eliminate a solar panel I buy 20lbs.

11. Confirmed Mercedes is no longer providing the high idle.

12. Backcountryguy, I appreciate the Parktronic information. I am use to turning it off on my SUV as a result of a bike rack. Is your front bumper the one VC claims functions with Parktronic? If so, does it function at all?

13. Here is the first 2020 release I could find on the Sprinter: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...rinter-safety/
Attached Thumbnails
well.jpg   well 2.jpg  

FlaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaJoe View Post

5. Working on a backup battery system to the engine battery through the lithium house. Still inclined to keep the snorkel given that the SMB compressor should work on passenger side.
[/url]
There are chargers that can charge lithium house batteries, that have a secondary charger that could be used to top off your starting battery
KISAE AC1260 Abso 60A, 12V Battery Charger comes to mind, I suspect there are others. I expect you will have the Xantrex Frterdom 3000 inverter/charger so that would probably be redundant. You certainly could take any small charger and wire it up to starter, for while you were plugged in. The above charger comes in a 20 amp version. that probably would work for the starter.

Also I would think you could use a small DC to DC charger and go from lithium to lead acid, etc. Something like RENOGY 12V DC TO DC ON-BOARD BATTERY CHARGER. Granted it should would be backwards from it's intended use, but it may work. There are other possibilities in that area also, Sterling Power I am sure probably has something.

For jump starting, I don't see why you couldn't hard wire a switch in between the two systems, acknowledging you would need to know the lithium was charged enough not to suck what is left in your starter
Blue Sea e-Series On Off Battery Switch
If you wanted something you have a remote switch on, something like the ML-RBS Remote Battery Switch with Manual Control - 12V DC 500A would do nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaJoe View Post
7. 230 Watt solar panels and 600 lithium- fuel for microwave, Danhard, induction, hair dryer for the wife, etc.- I know the alternator would handle it but its my retirement present:
Watts/ 12 Volt = 19.07 amps of charge per hour
600 am hours/ 19.07= 31.30 hours to charge
Add 10%
35 hours to fully charge.

[/url]
Your 230 watts is most likely based on STC ratings, thus your real world calculations would be off. See if the panels have an NOTC rating.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:59 PM   #13

The parktronic on the front bumper is interfered with by the shackle mounts on the new Agile hidden winch install. The bumper itself is the stock bumper, just cut to fit for the winch. I think if you went with Agile old hidden winch mount you’d be ok on the front bumper.

The rear bumper is covered completely by the Aluminess bumper.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:01 PM   #14

FlaJoe,

Some additional comments to your post above:

1. I am hoping the upgraded suspension can compensate for some of this (added weight) - It can, but not "officially". By the way, has anyone upgraded their brakes or braking system given added weight? - I have looked at several options, nothing out there I consider better than stock. I see that Agile has added an aftermarket Sprinter brake option on their website, I will watch and see what kind of experience gets reported.

3-4. Appreciate the information on the high lift jack, and the new ARB looks interesting. Will see if VC can integrate into their rock sliders - Please do so and report back. With a price tag of almost $1k, Van Compass may be looking for someone to buy one and let them borrow it for test purposes.

7. 600 am hours/ 19.07= 31.30 hours to charge - My 2016 Sprinter has a 220 amp alternator. You are looking at a dedicated 2nd alternator (I do not know the output), but assuming it is the same, 600/220 = 2.7 hours to charge (ideal). This may help clarify my reasoning when I question the value of solar with a robust lithium build.

8. Anyone know if the Peddle Box will jeopardize the warranty - The PedalBox is simply plugged in and is easily removed. I can't state it for a fact, but I see no effect on the warranty. or is it considered like any other tuner - The PedalBox is not a true tuner. It changes the transmission shift points but it does not alter the way the engine runs.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:10 PM   #15

Good info Fitz, et al and thanks. Some further development including a question on at 13 below on the 4.18 gear given the 7 speed transmission:

1. If I don't jump over GAWRF much if at all, I won't be too concerned with the brake system. Also, some weight can be removed by eliminating solar panels, if desired. Some additional weight developments:

Weight Restrictions/Goals:

a. GVWR: 8,550
b. GAWRF: 3,970
c. Curb F: 3,009 (difference 961)
d. GAWRR: 5,360
e. Curb R: 2,304 (difference 3,056)
f. Max Load: 3,237 per Mercedes/4,017 on axle bearing

3. Component Weight Distributions:

a. Danhard- rear axle weight in spare tire location @ 50 lbs.
b. Espar 5- rear driver side @20 lbs.
c. Isotherm 130 midbody driver side - @ 95 lbs (50-50).
d. Inverter: Xantric Freedom 3000- rear axle (see lithium build below) @ 74 lbs.
e. Dual 300ah lithium battery system (600ah)- rear axle (see lithium build below) @ 174 lbs.
f. Agile 14 gallon fuel transfer tank or new Van Compass 40 gallon replacement- @ 87 lbs (6.217 x 14)- front axle. Agile 20 under driver, add 37.30 lbs., for a total of 124 (145 with compressor)lbs assuming SMB compressor under passenger.
g. Van Compass rock sliders- @ 144 lbs- midbody (50-50 axle distribution).
h. Solar panels - @ 40 lbs front axle.
i. Roof rack- @ 75 lbs rear axle.
j. Rear bumper with tire, box, and bikes - @ 250 lbs (guess).
k. Front bumper with winch- @ 50 plus of bumper (per VC) and 62 lbs for the winch, for a total of 112 lbs.
l. RB 150 cabinetry- @ 300lbs (2/3 rear and 1/3 front) (guess).
m. Water 16 gal. (16 x 8) @ 128 (50-50 axle distribution).

Total: 1500 lbs
: 522.50 front axle and add 350 for two occupants- 872.50 or 88.5 lbs under
: 977.5 rear axle- 1,326.5 lbs under, but not counting gear, kayaks, etc.
Total Conversion with two occupants at 350 lbs= 1,850
Curb: 5,323
Conversion: 1,850, which includes two occupants at 350
Total GVWR: 7,173 or 1,377 under 8,550 without kayaks, provisions, or gear

PH Weight Limitations:
: 500 lbs down
: 150 lbs with electric elevation

3-4. I mentioned funding the ARB high lift experiment with VC this morning. I also questioned whether they could come up with something to protect a Danhard in the spare tire well. The differential seems to protect it from the front. Needs potential protection on inclines but seems like it may not. Time will tell.

6. Scalf77, that looks like the direction I would want to go. Hardwired or even with harwired jumper connections forward in the engine box running from the lithium or a controller. On the project list!

7. I may grow to eliminate the solar panels, but I might find a place where I want to sit and run out of diesel at over 10 year period (battery warranty period).... doubt it.

8. The PedalBox makes sense and likely the initial direction I will take.

12. Backcountryguy, VC and Agile seem to be both on a mission to make bumpers that work with Parktronics. My concern is Mercedes is coming out with added features, so I think time will tell which direction to take: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...rinter-safety/

13. A question for all of you, the 2019 and 2020 apparantly have 7 speed transmissions. Would this change your opinion on getting the 4.18 gear?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 06-12-2019, 02:59 PM   #16

This is the compressor SMB likes to mount out of the engine box, for what they claim are heat reasons:

https://www.extremeoutback.com/produ...3+007-222.html
Old 06-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #17

I do have that compressor and for us it’s worked flawlessly so far. I only use it to air back up. The location underneath, along with it’s tank, have not been an issue for us.

I’d be interested in seeing what the VC take is on the ARB hydraulic lift.

The Agile brake retrofit is also something to keep an eye on. The van definitely requires a “stay well back and brake early” mentality with the extra weight.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:55 PM   #18

Thanks Backcountry, if the brakes can be upgraded I will be in line. Do you have spare fuel under the driver and the compressor and a tank under the passenger?
Old 06-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #19

We do. Agile did an outstanding job installing the aerotank aux tank on the drivers side. Compressor and air tank on passengers side. In addition, our gray water tank is on passenger side directly under the sink but we made that absolute minimum size @ 5 gallons. Usually we end up dumping it when boondocking.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:01 PM   #20

Sounds like my plan but my sink is on the driver side. RB 150 design. Thanks.