Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2017, 11:23 PM   #11

[QUOTE=VtSoundman;212396]It may seem insane...here is why...
1) I work in utility scale solar & large scale energy storage systems. My van is also used a mobile office & conference room ... rolling out a genset/hearing/smelling one for a 30-90min mtg on a hot job site...nah.
2) My dogs need to be kept cool for a few hours while I traveling and I'm in a store/in an office/etc
3) I hate gensets

Lets see, to keep the dogs cool for one hour would require one half gallon of gas idling your engine and running the dash AC. You keep your batteries charged as a free extra. No setup required just turn it on....

There are debates over idling but that is why I have a gas engine in my Promaster.

DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
WILL SMB install this 380 amp alternator? Are you sure it will fit? How much is the mechanical load going to lower MPG?
The engineers at American Power say it will fit - they have seen the MB drawings and claim it will. I'm wtg on the formal paperwork before pulling the trigger.

Not sure if SMB will use this unit or not...I intend on doing some things to my van before it gets to SMB...
VtSoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:30 PM   #13

O.K., just watched the video. Obviously it fits and I'm impressed. Now, will SMB install this? Are Brian and the Feld's aware of it? If not, BackCountryGuy, you may want to ask them and even show the video when you are there soon. I will inquire via email tonight, but Brian often can't answer for several days.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
O.K., just watched the video. Obviously it fits and I'm impressed. Now, will SMB install this? Are Brian and the Feld's aware of it? If not, BackCountryGuy, you may want to ask them and even show the video when you are there soon. I will inquire via email tonight, but Brian often can't answer for several days.
Per my orig post (that was a bit of a mess)....sorry if it wasn't clear...

The alternator in the video is a 40SI Delco Remy unit used by Advanced RV in their buildout...it is more than 2x the weight allowed per the MB BEG for the PTO location. Two different companies said they would never install a 40SI on a MB sprinter diesel...the case is simply too heavy and causes too much stress on our small engines. It was an example of where my research took me...
VtSoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSoundman View Post
Per my orig post (that was a bit of a mess)....sorry if it wasn't clear...

The alternator in the video is a 40SI Delco Remy unit used by Advanced RV in their buildout...it is more than 2x the weight allowed per the MB BEG for the PTO location. Two different companies said they would never install a 40SI on a MB sprinter diesel...the case is simply too heavy and causes too much stress on our small engines. It was an example of where my research took me...
Gotcha. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHitt View Post
Lets see, to keep the dogs cool for one hour would require one half gallon of gas idling your engine and running the dash AC. You keep your batteries charged as a free extra. No setup required just turn it on....

There are debates over idling but that is why I have a gas engine in my Promaster.
There are places where cops will have your car towed and cite you for leaving a car running and in place with no people inside.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSoundman View Post

Does this make sense?
Yes.....lots of sense....keep going.....

What I find amazing is the amount of current typically needed at idle when the vans are running....I suppose on my E350 the headlights are always on, the HVAC fan is running, sparking sparkplugs, etc....it adds up....and the alternator is outputting a fraction of it's rated current.

The video of the over-running pulleys was highly entertaining...good stuff.

Are the alternator vendor links in post 1 reputable brands or examples of hype?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:22 AM   #18

Like others, I'd be concerned with something that heavy producing that much power having reliability issues elsewhere.

SMB is not going to install that if it goes against the MB regs (which it sounds like it will).

Maybe I'm missing something in your math, but a nations alternator will put out 150 amps at idle, and 230 at driving speed (or high idle). That's registering at the battery by other folks that have this setup. If you need 100 amps for AC, then you essentially still get 50 amps surplus at idle, and 130 amps when driving. 150 amps at idle is not anywhere close to 100% duty. Unless you're drowning down an 800 ah lithium bank on a daily basis, I can't see where you'd need this much power.

I'd much rather replace an alternator at $900 than risk failed engine mounts or stress cracks in the mounting area. Even if I only get 5 years of use out of the alternator, I still consider that money well spent vs dealing with stress fractures.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #19

One concern I have about SMB and 2nd alternators is that they don't use the Balmar Voltage Regulator with their Nations Starter alternators (at least at SMB North). In fact, when I talked to the SMB tech, he didn't seem to even know what the Balmar regulator was. This seems important to me first to provide the proper charging profile for the batteries but also as a safety device to monitor the alternator temperature (if you use the optional temperature sensor) to maintain safe operating temperatures for the alternator.

Does anyone have any thoughts about using a 2nd alternator without using the Balmar voltage regulator?
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #20

SMB West uses the Balmer regulator with their lithium setup. I can't speak to what is used with their AGM setups and dual alternators.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote