Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Can it be done?
It's not do-able in the regular body, even with the high top. 1 11.11%
You need some major adjustment(s), but it can be done. 1 11.11%
You are on the right track. 3 33.33%
You're there. Just the details left. 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #21

Re: A motorcycle inside a RB - Critics Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLikeWheels
I tried out the “box” experiment in my trailer.
Given unlimited everything, save space, I always wondered why nobody made a mini-rollback out the back doors- like take the concept of a rollback tow truck and you get the bike up a slight incline onto a small plate with wheelchocks, then it slides all as one into the van.

Like I say, maybe it's unlimited everything but space so you'd have a fair amount of custom fab or money to throw at it.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #22

WLW,

I like the overall plan and it sure looks well thought out. If you are still way early in the process then you should have time to work on any "details". I don't know how convenient it is but you could go to an SMB shop and my guess is that a salesperson would talk to you about your plan. They may have some ideas that you haven't thought of.

I love your premise for needing the van in the first place. I have ridden around the West and to the Southwest several times myself basically just to ride the nice roads I saw all of the previous years in the car loaded with carsick prone passengers. (BTW: I love that you have a Triumph (675?) for your model) I have longed to explore the trails on mountain sides and canyons I passed and I really envy you taking the time to maybe go see where some of them go.

Anyway, your recent plan providing for a garage is the way I would do it. Otherwise you would end up loading/unloading the bike and gas every night just to use the interior.

I think you have the basics and understand what you are getting yourself into so I say go for it. Of course it is easy for me to say since it is your money... As a dog owner I know how important it is for the comfort and safety of your little furry family member that you plan properly for the potential heat and cold. Try to remember that it might be hard to stop riding when the road is flowing just right, the traffic is light, and every apex is calling your name and waving to swing by. I am envious.

Good luck.

Chumley
Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #23

Thanks Chumley.

I am thinking I may head out to SMB Indiana during the first week of December, just to look and chat. I am on the East Coast so it's a good drive to get there.

I have been dreaming of this since I rode my first Ninja 250 back in 2003. As a 30-something about to be double-divorcee, I figure it's time to start living my dreams. I've loved my Daytona 675 since the day I first sat on it in 2006, but right now I am searching for another 675, a 2012 leftover, to take on this journey. In my mind, life isn't worth living without 2 wheels and twisty roads.
WeLikeWheels is offline   Reply With Quote