Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2017, 10:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryguy View Post
TomH,

Great idea, I don't see how they wouldn't be amenable as long as they aren't installing the tank itself. I'll ask Brian and if that is the case get a tank on order ASAP.
Are you thinking about 0 gauge or 1/0 gauge wiring? If so, will you be inquiring about that?

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:37 PM   #22

TomH,

I will, that seems like an easy ask for Brian. SMB does seem to tightly control what they will or won't do but the wiring should be doable.
Backcountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #23

Just to add to the convo - the tank weighs about 40 lbs - according to Agile. They have their own janky looking gauge they can install, or you can spec your own.

For those looking to do this, I'd order your van with the overhead slot where a CB typically goes. You can rig up your gauge and transfer switch there with a nice looking digital gauge.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:05 PM   #24

off topic, is there a max conversion weight on these or an average weight that SMB talks about? Van Compass uses the add-a-leaf spring pack on conversions of 7500 lbs plus.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:25 AM   #25

SMB tries to leave you a thousand lbs of payload (bodies, bags, water, etc). I'm not sure if they have a hard number they abide by for payload, but I know Fitz was over gross at one point. He's got a lot of rugged gear on there, though.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #26

I just heard from Brian. They are strictly following DOT, RIVA, MB, and their own guidelines. This means no upgraded wiring or couplings (they will do what they think is adequate-no more), no pre-drilling for aux fuel tank (not DOT approved), no composting toilet (not RIVA approved). He said that if we can provide dimensions for the aux tank and composting toilet, they will leave correct space for us to install via someone else later.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:04 PM   #27

Well heck! I'll at least get the dimensions for the aux fuel tank. I think if you leave that space aft of the drivers side underneath free we're fine. That is the usual space for the batteries. The bigger issue is the furniture in place after-conversion in order to place the carriage bolts needed. I won't be removing any just installed furniture for this. It would need to be all done with conversion furniture/cabinets in place.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinkledpants View Post
SMB tries to leave you a thousand lbs of payload (bodies, bags, water, etc). I'm not sure if they have a hard number they abide by for payload, but I know Fitz was over gross at one point. He's got a lot of rugged gear on there, though.
Weights and etc. for a fully loaded 4wd 2500 Sprinter and Flint in particular. Note total GVWR. Flint handles fine at this weight, the Van Compass suspension package has been a definite improvement.

Front axle GAWR: 3,970 lbs.
Front axle actual weight: 4,060 lbs.
102.3% of GAWR
Rear axle GAWR: 5,360 lbs.
Rear axle actual weight: 4,540 lbs.
84.7% of GAWR
Total GVWR: 8,550 lbs.
Total actual weight: 8,600 lbs.
100.6% of GVWR
Old 08-18-2017, 11:15 PM   #29

Fitz, excellent info, thanks. Where did you manage to get these exact figures? Had to be after you left SMB and did your post-conversion Van Compass/Aluminess work, correct?
Old 08-18-2017, 11:21 PM   #30

Post build out,yes.
Public scales are readily available, but I work in a refinery with two scales so it is easy for me to weigh.
The next time I do it I will weigh individual corners just to know how that looks.