Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2017, 06:01 PM   #41

I have a picture of the fill nozzle coming up in front of the rear tire. My initial impression is that it will fit with the larger tires, I will look closer at that this weekend.

Regarding the fill nozzle on the opposite side, turning the van around at the pump will still be much easier than my current scenario of having two five gallon cans strapped to the top of the Aluminess box on back. Also, in actual practice I doubt that you will be filling the tank all that much. If fuel is readily available I suspect the auxiliary tank will be kept empty to avoid carrying the extra weight and that it will be filled when going off the beaten path. That is my current practice with my two five gallon cans.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:03 PM   #42

That is likely correct about filling only when going into the backcountry, but I do hope to spend a lot of time there and want to be able to run the alternator for AC power off Lithium multiple nights in a row.

Re. the tires, are you thinking of the tight fit there was on the 285s or the 315s that VC put on theirs? I hope to go with the 315s after the VC lift to get extra clearance off-road. If there isn't room for the aux fill and the 315s then I have some pondering to do.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:29 PM   #43

Interesting topic! If you haven't discovered it yet, here's another alternative:
https://www.sprinterstore.com/produc...l-tank-system/
COkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:02 PM   #44

In Tualatin, south side of Portland, OR.Hmm. And they do installs.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:47 PM   #45

Now that is a great link! I didn't know this alternative was available. Close to home as well. You could probably make this a one-stop shop for Aluminess, fuel tank, Van Compass items.
Backcountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:55 PM   #46

The only issue I can see is the weight is added all the way aft on this tank, while the Aerotank's, even though one side is weighted, would seem to spread the load more evenly. Also, it's a plastic tank. I'll bet you could talk the Sprinter store or Van Compass into building a skid plate for this.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:28 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryguy View Post
I'll bet you could talk the Sprinter store or Van Compass into building a skid plate for this.

Fitz' X-deep storage compartment is in that location and VC did build a skid plate for it.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:39 PM   #48

TomH, I sent and inquiry to Mark @ Van Compass. I'll revert with details once I hear back.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:45 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryguy View Post
TomH, I sent and inquiry to Mark @ Van Compass. I'll revert with details once I hear back.
I visited them before they moved and asked them several months ago to place me in their queue for everything they offer once I have the van from Fresno. Let me know if you find out anything new or want to chat about details I learned there. Fitz has worked with them and has a lot of knowledge too.

I'm going to be in transit to VC, WA the next couple of days to check on progress on the new house. It keeps falling farther behind schedule (story of my life lately) and we have to meet with some subcontractors who are doing more work for us after closing. So I won't be able to check this forum as frequently while on the road.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #50

I received the below from Van Compass on a custom skid plate for an aux tank. I'm still looking around and I've also reached out to Trail Tested.

"We don't do any custom work at this point. We like to make products that can be repeatable and fit every customer's van. The aux tanks seem to be mounted in different locations often, making it hard to make a repeatable part everyone can use.

Riley at Trail Tested might be interested in this. He has some additional fabrication equipment in house."