Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2017, 03:54 PM   #51

When I spoke to Doug at Aero he mentioned that they make skid plates for their tanks also. I have asked for more details in the question list I sent, will share when I get a response.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:40 AM   #52

I thought it might be a good idea to talk about what the extended mileage may be good for with the aux tank.

It seems from mileage posts we can expect roughly 400+ miles on a tank of diesel with stock tank (I am using a conservative estimate).

My wife and I believe for lower 48 use this should be fine for us, even with a 6-7 day stay at a remote campsite.

In researching our big trip north, which got our Sprinter dreams off the ground in the first place, we think we'll need in the neighborhood of a 600+ range for some parts of Northern Alaska in vicinity of Brooks Range and also the Yukon Territories.

By that parameter the 14 gallon tank should do. The upward range of a 30 gallon tank will give a phenomenal 900+ mile range.

These ranges are exclusive of possible high idle time @ campsite to recharge house bank.
Backcountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:34 AM   #53

Smile 4x4 Fully Built Sprinter Fuel Consumption

My 2016 Sprinter is fully built out with lots of the extras most people posting in this thread are going to add. The reality of that is that you will top the GVWR and just like the waistline, weight management will always be an issue. Run properly inflated E rated tires, upgrade the suspension and enjoy, the Sprinter handles the weight well. (One of these days I will look into brake upgrades, but that's another thread for another time).

The 2wd Sprinter has a 26.4 gallon capacity, the 4wd Sprinter has a 24.6 gallon capacity.

The reserve indicator light goes on early, with approximately 5 gallons remaining (per the manual). I have tested this, I came up with 4-1/2 gallons so 5 is a good number to use. The reality is that no matter how you try to ignore the light, it turns on with just under a quarter of a tank displayed and fuel is on your mind when it is on.

I have consistently gotten around 16 mpg fully loaded, on and off road, using the D5 and the high idle. I have added a bit more weight recently (steel rock sliders vs. aluminum Nerf bars, side ladder with Hi-Lift jack attached to it, rear skid plate to protect XL storage, those sort of things). Our most recent solar eclipse trip was 2,509 miles across six western states and Flint delivered a calculated 15.72 mpg (NOT corrected for 285 tire size, I ignore that for daily use). To add a bit of a safety factor, I suggest using 15 mpg as a real-world number for one of these heavy vans.

24.6 gal x 15 mpg = 369 mile range
24.6 gal + 14 gal = 38.6 gal x 15 mpg = 579 mile range

For me, the appeal of the Aero 14 gallon fuel tank is that it fills from the rear wheel well, thus no penetration on the side of the van, and it is on the passenger side which makes for much better weight distribution. (Flint currently carries 53% of his 150S floor plan weight on the driver's side and 47% on the passenger's side).

I am waiting for responses to several questions from Aero (the long weekend has gotten in the way), see below for the few pictures I have to share.

14 Gallon Fuel Tank Dimensions. I believe the two holes shown on top (set in 4" on either end) are the mounting locations, I simply don't know. This is one of the questions I am waiting on clarification for.

14 Gallon Fuel Tank Fuel Transfer Pump. Fuel is pumped into the main tank via a driver-controlled switch when there is capacity available.

14 Gallon Fuel Tank Fill Nozzle (located in the rear wheel well). On my van with 285's I measure 6" clear between the tire and the van body, thus I see no reason why this won't work with the Van Compass 2" lift, maximum 315 tires size.

With all of us looking into the various options we will gather the information that will allow each of us to make the individual decision that will be right for our builds. Thanks for the help, looking for more!
Old 09-02-2017, 11:47 PM   #54

Fitz, good information, thanks. I was using a 16.5MPG figure, I'll adjust that downward. Have to also figure MPG on a lot of the logging roads we'll be on is lower. Based on that I think our smallest tank would be the 20 gallon Aerotank. Although if the only one that looks like it will fit is the 14 gallon Aero we'll go with that.

I'm waiting to hear back more from the Sprinter Store on their 30 gallon tank, mostly on mounting details (specifically, are there any thru-bolts into the bed as the Aero's have). It does have a fill that will require a cutout in the van body though. I would also like to see a couple pictures after it's mounted to see how low it protrudes.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:49 AM   #55

A couple of related threads on the Sprinter Source forum:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=54931

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5693
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:18 AM   #56

TomH, Good info, thanks. I shot another email out to the Sprinter Store, which would be convenient for both of us. I don't see a link to the 18.5 gallon tank mentioned, just the 30 gallon tank.

I imagine these guys would also install the Aerotank as well w/o issue.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:27 PM   #57

The skid plate is just an extra layer of aluminum welded to the bottom of the tank. You don't really see it, per se. It's just a slighter taller fuel tank with a thick bottom.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:00 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinkledpants View Post
The skid plate is just an extra layer of aluminum welded to the bottom of the tank. You don't really see it, per se. It's just a slighter taller fuel tank with a thick bottom.
That's what I thought. Would really prefer an actual shield offset from the tank and attached elsewhere to body/frame.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:18 PM   #59

I am leaning towards the 20 gallon Aerotank if it will work with the extra plate weleded. The Sprinter forum has a picture of it underneath. I like it. For our needs, the van "offroad" use is mostly unpaved logging roads. Potholes, washboard, and the occasional water crossing but it's not as if we're going to be bouldering in it. There are some really long stretches of "unimproved" roads in Northern Alaska and Yukon Territories as well.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:41 PM   #60

Intuitively, it seems that an offset skid plate which is attached to strong points on the frame is more likely to do just that....skid.

I worry that with the plastic tank itself impaled on a rock point (even with the extra plating) the drag force will rip the tank away from it attachment points. You have metal attached to plastic, attached to the undercarriage....the plastic in the middle is a very weak link in the chain.

With the skid plate, you have metal attached to metal and all force of impact and drag act upon metal alone; there is no plastic in the middle to be ripped apart.

Anyway, just mho.