Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2017, 05:58 AM   #11

Another good reason to go with lithium batteries. Our original build had two AGM 4D batteries located in this space. Each of those batteries weighs 124 lbs. Replacing that with one lithium at 120-145 lbs, depending on the battery. The lithium will placed underneath the passenger side ottoman (we think).

Backcountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryguy View Post
I am going to discuss the pre-wiring requirements with SMB when I visit on 9/6. I'll let all know how this goes. The tank also bolts up through the floor of the van. It would seem this is a better install before the interior is built out but that isn't possible. I am going to ask SMB if they can plan for this though. I've asked Aerotank if I pre-buy the tank if I can get a template and any other required parts that may help in the initial stages. I won't do this if some of the interior has to be removed for the install after the conversion. I would guess no but I'm asking the question.

The space is free for us since our battery will be a lithium (we hope) on the interior of the van.
Would you please ask SMB another question that would be of general interest? On a non-lithium Sprinter build that wants to incorporate the Aero tank, can the 4D battery pack that sits on the driver's side be relocated to the passenger's side in order to free up the space for the auxiliary tank?

It sounds like the best way to incorporate the Aero tank into the schedule is to have it installed before the SMB build starts. Of course that means taking delivery of the van and putting off the SMB build date, a HARD decision to make after waiting so long....

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2017, 07:30 AM   #13

Fitz,

Will do, thanks. I'll ask Brian when I see him. I would consider taking the van to have this pre-installed if SMB will let me. However, I don't know if their strict rules will allow this. The next best choice is if the holes can be pre-drilled and locations exactly accounted for with a template, and the interior built to account for access, at least with some minor disassembly. But that is risky and an unknown. By far the best solution is to have this done when the van is bare inside. There is either the Aerotank factory in San Bernardino, Agile Offroad, or Trail tested Mfg. in Atascadero CA has also said they could do the work. That is the closest location I know of. It doesn't seem that complicated so I would think there could be more than a few shop's able to do this. It's a matter of finding a place that would be recommended to mess with your already $55K+ van you've waited a year for...

Did Van Compass do all your suspension and bumper work or did you go somewhere else? They have relocated to Idaho which is kind of a dog-leg home for me anyway.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryguy View Post
Fitz,

Did Van Compass do all your suspension and bumper work or did you go somewhere else? They have relocated to Idaho which is kind of a dog-leg home for me anyway.
The rear Aluminess bumper was installed by SMB Austin as part of the build, from there I went to Aluminess where they installed the Nerf Bars and the front bumper, and from there I went to Van Compass for the skid plate package, with a subsequent trip to replace the Nerf Bars with their rock sliders and the suspension upgrades.

SMB Fresno will install the VC rock sliders, if you want them I suggest you have SMB install as part of the build in order to avoid the minor re-work I had to go through by putting them on after-the fact, in my case rerouting the grey water drain and the D5 exhaust.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #15

I received the below from Aerotank.

"we can do it before it goes to SM. Install takes 4-5 hours. Sorry no template for bolt holes. If SM needs to remove tank for wiring etc. its only 2 bolts and easy to remove."

Again, it's doubtful SMB would allow this before install but I'll ask when I'm there. This might be worth a slight delay for us.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #16

BCG, please tell Brian that I'm in the same boat on this.

Fitz, I wasn't aware that SMB would install any of the VC gear. Are there other VC components they will install other than the slider/steps?
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #17

I wonder if one of us went ahead and bought an aux tank, had it shipped to Fresno, could we get them to mark the holes, drill, put in bolts from the top and lock nuts on bottom. Then they could finish the floor. After delivery we could have someone else pull the nuts, install the tank, and re-secure.

WP and BCG, would one of you mind asking Brian about this when you see him?
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post

Fitz, I wasn't aware that SMB would install any of the VC gear. Are there other VC components they will install other than the slider/steps?
To my knowledge, just the sliders, the rest gets in the way of the MB upfitter rating. Michaelf, can you weigh in?
Old 08-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #19

AT is using the Aero tank. The fill is next to a rear wheel well.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
I wonder if one of us went ahead and bought an aux tank, had it shipped to Fresno, could we get them to mark the holes, drill, put in bolts from the top and lock nuts on bottom. Then they could finish the floor. After delivery we could have someone else pull the nuts, install the tank, and re-secure.

WP and BCG, would one of you mind asking Brian about this when you see him?
TomH,

Great idea, I don't see how they wouldn't be amenable as long as they aren't installing the tank itself. I'll ask Brian and if that is the case get a tank on order ASAP.