Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlo View Post
These folks apparently had one installed by Agile but they are light on details:

https://www.slowrollthemundo.com/hom.../10/26/the-van
I got a little more info from these folks:

They had Agile install a 15 gal tank on the passenger side with a switch to transfer fuel from aux to the main tank. Cost was $1750 installed. Pictures pending. These folks will be at OE with their van so we can take a look next week.

Perhaps we could get John from Agile to bring an exemplar to Overland Expo? Looks like he could sell at least two You in Fitz?

JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:40 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlo View Post

Perhaps we could get John from Agile to bring an example to Overland Expo? Looks like he could sell at least two You in Fitz?
Most likely yes, would very much like to see/hear what John has to say. I want to know where the attachment bolts come through the floor, also where the bottom of the tank sits relative to the Van Compass sliders.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #103

FYI, installation of the Aero tanks (definitely on the driver's side, most probably on the passenger's side) requires removal of the center support bracket on the Van Compass sliders. I was at the Van Compass shop this past week and I asked Rob about this, he told me removal of the center support is ok.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #104

Aero 14 Gallon Auxilary Tank Update

I just read back through this thread, there is a lot of collaboration and good info here! It seems like it's time for an update.

Backcountryguy has since taken delivery of his van with the 20 gallon driver's side tank installed by Agile, from what he has said he is very happy with it.

Regarding the 14 gallon passenger's side tank, the best info I have now is that there are several out there in use and that Aero no longer installs - they now rely on Agile Offroad for that. You will not find this tank listed on Aero's website, for that go to Agile: https://agileoffroad.com/product/agi...tank-mercedes/

The standard material of construction is aluminized steel, but for an extra charge Aero will build the tank out of Aluminum or 304L Stainless Steel. The tanks are baffled with one 1/4" NPT drain plug and they are pressure tested to 8-10 psi, the integrated skid plate (if added) is simply a second layer of material welded to the bottom of the tank. One construction detail to note that has changed since this thread started is that Aero now recesses the two through-bolt attachments into the bottom of the tank, thus the two nuts no longer protrude below the bottom surface.

Our Christmas present to us (or is it to Flint?) is on order, and John will soon be installing the 14 gallon SS with skid plate passenger's side tank, timed to coordinate with our now-annual end-of-the-year trip to Quartzite AZ for the rock shows. I will update with installed pictures once they are available.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #105

Sounds like a great present! Do you know yet what impact, if any, the installation will have on your interior? Will anything have to be removed and reinstalled? I remember backcountry guy said he had to have the D5 exhaust rerouted. Would you have done anything differently during your build process if you’d known for sure you wanted the aux tank? Asking because I’m trying to decide between the 20 and 14. Thanks!
eradikate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:41 PM   #106

I anticipate no impact on the interior. On my build the area above the tank is clear, thus nothing to move, and Agile has the tooling to cut a plug out of the floor to countersink the bolt heads and patch back the Loncoin floor such that (I am told) I will be hard pressed to see the patch. In my case the carpet is almost always in place, thus the two locations will be covered by that.

Would I have done anything differently in my build - no. I knew the 4D battery would take the space required by the 20 gallon tank, thus that was not an option (our build was just as lithium was coming of age and I made the determination not to go that route). I knew where the 14 gallon tank would go and our design kept the space clear, and I have kept it that way since. The only thing that will have to be removed is the middle bracket on the Van Compass rock sliders, and Rob assured me that this can be done without sacrificing strength.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:33 AM   #107

Aerotank 20 Gallon Tank Pictures - Drivers Side

This seems a good time to post a few more pictures of our aerotank install.

Agile did a fantastic job.

As Tim mentioned, the plug cutout and replacement of the loncoin was so seamless that John Brindle had to point it out twice to me for me to see it.

I also carry a spare fuel pump and spare filter.

This addition has given us much flexibility and greatly reduced our need for fuel stop planning, especially in remote areas we visited in British Columbia, Montana, and Wyoming.

In fact, I like the extra range so much I'm toying with the idea of having Agile Offroad install another spare tank in the spare wheel well... But that would be way overkill and the weight of all that diesel significant. So doubtful. Still, it would give the van 1000+ miles of range. Probably close to 1100.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180709_121523458_LL.jpg   IMG_20180709_121636415_LL.jpg   IMG_20180709_120712566.jpg   IMG_20180709_121704468_LL.jpg   IMG_20180608_092210614 - Copy.jpg  

IMG_20180608_092205011 - Copy.jpg   IMG_20180709_121625821_LL.jpg  
Old 12-31-2018, 01:32 PM   #108

14 Gallon Tank Update

Flint now has the 14 gallon passenger's side fuel tank installed. I'm working off a hot spot with a poor signal and this makes my 3rd attempt, thus this will be short with additional details to come later in my build thread.

Backcountryguy's post above gives all the basic details. His is a 20 gallon driver's side tank, mine is a 14 gallon passenger's side tank. Backcountryguy's tank is made from the standard aluminized steel, mine is 304L stainless steel. Yes, that is a cost adder, you will have to check with John at Agile for current pricing.

One thing Glen at Agile was able to do differently than referenced in posts above was that he was able to place the tank tight up against the frame rail and thus avoid having to remove the center support on the Van Compass rock slider - that's a win in my book!

This makes for a nice addition and I have already run three tanks of fuel through the auxiliary tank. Access to the fill nozzle at the rear wheel is straightforward, the additional weight of the full tank is not noticeable when driving and the comfort factor of knowing there is additional fuel on board is nice to have.

Here is a picture of the SS tank sitting on the bench in Agile's shop, a really nice piece of work!

Old 12-31-2018, 04:27 PM   #109

Tim,

Will you still carry additional fuel atop your Aluminess box, or do you have other plans now for that space?

TH
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:37 PM   #110

Tom,

Laura and I just had that conversation this morning. I'm thinking that freeing this area up might make an ideal location to carry and upgraded BBQ... I'm going to start looking around, ideas and suggestions are always welcome!