Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #11

Beautiful! I didn't know this existed. Thanks wrinklepants, and thanks for proving again this forum is an absolute gold mine of useful information for a build.

I'll contact agile

Backcountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:02 PM   #12

Yep!

They also have an aux 20 gallon fuel tank that fits on the left side of the van (underneath). Something to consider if that interests you at all.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #13

I would be interested in the 20 gal fuel tank. I'd researched one smaller tank already. Our Canada/Alaska trip it will come in handy.

As I'm finding out, SMB is meticulous about what they will install. Thanks for your info on the thread on lithium I posted. Very helpful for me to understand where they are coming from.

I know they won't install the Van Compass skid plates. Will they install the agile offroad gear mentioned above or is this another after conversion trip?

I would prefer to have as much done as possible during the SMB conversion while the van is open.
Backcountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #14

No, this is all stuff that will need to be installed at Agile. SMB can only do things that are RVIA and MB Master Upfitter approved. That right there limits most of the custom things that people (like us) want to do. If they have a local installer for something in Fresno, they may send the van off site to have it done. Like, the helper springs in the rear aren't MB approved, but SMB will send the van to someone off site to have it done. All the agile stuff would need to go to Agile to be installed.

It's good to plan for this stuff with SMB, but they can't install it. Like, you can't have any tanks mounted on the left side of the van if you want to do the aux fuel tank. It takes up all the space front to rear on the left side of the van.

Something else to note about your lithium stuff - RVIA dictates that batteries mounted inside be in an enclosure with a vent outside. This is true for lead acid batteries, but lithiums don't need such an enclosure or venting. This was a problem that SMB ran into since RVIA's standards were written for lead acid, but SMB needs to remain RVIA compliant. I'm pretty sure they've figured out a way around this, but it's something to remember when you run into design road blocks with them. Sometimes they can't do something because it would take too long to figure out how to do it for the first time, sometimes it's because MB Master Upfitter regs don't allow it, and sometimes it's against RVIA code (or the part doesn't meet the RVIA standard). If you run into something they can't do, ask why. It might be as simple as them doing the install up to a certain point, and you just install some random non-RVIA compliant part yourself to finish it. If you want an aux fuel tank, they obviously can't install that, but they can wire up a fuel gauge and transfer switch for you so when you do install it, the at stuff is already there.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #15

RE fuel tank....these guys (http://www.aerotanks.com/vehicles) build the tanks for agile. They have an in-wheel well option for the fuel filler - really slick. The photos show the fuel neck in the cargo area. Aero offers a 20 and 30 gallon version...and will weld on an integral skid plate for a nominal charge.

Fuel is pumped from the aux tank to the Sprinter tank via external pump & filter and controlled with a simple mechanical timer. They will fit a gauge/sender to the aux tank and connect the transfer pump to either the main or Aux battery. This simple method completely avoids MB shenaigans. The 12v pump runs while driving or not. It is timer based...10min will transfer 10-15 gallons and they said there is no issue with letting the pump run dry for a short bit. I don't believe there is an auto shut-off if the main tank is full so some caution must be exercised.

If the Sprinter is running, the dash gauge may not update until the key is cycled.

I will be installing one of these soon - but will most likely have to remove the rear heater blower to do so...(I have a 144 passenger).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
VtSoundman is offline   Reply With Quote