Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #31

Re: And her name is Bivy...

Thank you!

Here is the latest, the shower stall and tall cabinet being installed. These are the only things that stick up and block the windows. This of course cuts down on storage and some features, but it gives it an "airy" feel and also keeps it relatively light.

Attached Thumbnails
Cabinets.JPG  

flybikeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #32

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I'm with you 100% on keeping as many windows in use as possible. Though it's particularly important in a small layout like a Sprinter, it troubled me when even larger motorhomes I toured such as Sprinter chassis with a fiberglass body and more common designs used very few and very small windows. I just don't get it, particularly when privacy glass and curtains are available. Isn't the point of RVing to appreciate the nature around you?

I'd love to see your floorplan, if you care to share.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100sqft
I'm with you 100% on keeping as many windows in use as possible. Though it's particularly important in a small layout like a Sprinter, it troubled me when even larger motorhomes I toured such as Sprinter chassis with a fiberglass body and more common designs used very few and very small windows. I just don't get it, particularly when privacy glass and curtains are available. Isn't the point of RVing to appreciate the nature around you?
In most RV parks, you're only a few feet from your neighbor. Maybe that explains the small windows. Most rigs pull into an RV park where they can get power, water and cable TV, not campgrounds and the middle of nowhere that Sportsmobilers prefer. I know about RV parks because I like them for the hot showers
SteveTOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #34

Here is our floorplan. Funny that we anguished over it, but it ended up being very simple. Large raised bed with lots of storage underneath for stuff (climbing gear, biking stuff, etc.) I'm going to have some fun when we get it using the 80/20 stuff to build out some racking under the bed to store gear.

Notice we also kept the sliding door completely open, the counter does not continue into the open door area. That was a tough choice but we visited one in Tuolumne Meadows that was open and it was so awesome to have that huge open door that really brought the outside into the van. The small fridge is under the counter and facing the door. The diesel furnace is at the bottom of the tall cabinet. The fresh water tank is under the bed.

The gaucho seat behind the driver's seat has a table for it, and it will also fold down into a bed. It will have two seat belts but man it seems dangerous to have someone sitting sideways in a wreck.

Full Aluminess racks up top with two solar panels and TV.

Delivery is hopefully three weeks away but they haven't confirmed yet!
Attached Thumbnails
Our layout (Small).jpg  
Old 06-15-2014, 01:33 AM   #35

Maybe too late to comment but what if you put a chest style fridge by the side door and used where the fridge goes for more cabinetry? You could still have an op en view to the outside, an extra seat in a pinch and possibly add a fold down counter extension. I'm toying with a longer low top Promaster with side to side sleeping at rear and just about the same floorplan as yours. I will be able to have a longer couch. I'm 5'8" and wife is5'2" so the 5'5" low Promaster height can work until Colorado Camper Vans can install a top. Of course by the time you read this I will have changed my mind again. I'm excited to see your van when finished. Thanks for keeping us posted.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #36

Bivy has been delivered!

OK!!

After 15 weeks of waiting, we flew to Fresno and took a cab with our dogs to SMB West. After a few hours on the check out we were off!

First, back to plane to load up Bivy with stuff in 100 degree plus heat. One thing we didn't get was AC!

I felt a little bad for the plane that this was a little like passing of the torch from the plane to the Sprinter, but we'll still use the plane for adventures too (you can see at http://www.westcoastflyingadventures.com that we've used it quite a bit).

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2911 (Small).JPG  
Old 07-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #37

We then went up Sonora Pass (well, I flew to Columbia and Betsy drove, then she picked me up there and off we went).

SMB really does a great job. The fit and finish are very clean and professional.

Attached Thumbnails
Betsy BV (Small).jpg   BV Ande (Small).jpg   BV Bode (Small).jpg  
Old 07-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #38

A couple of interior shots.

The small couch folds out into a half bed, perfect for a dog. Then there is a stand-alone piece that fits at the end (against the door) to make it a full bed.

We also got the "captain's bed" even though the SMB sales guy said it was of limited value. It is a bed platform that sits on the drivers and passenger seats to make a bed. Again, perfect for one or two dogs as they get to look out the window. We are glad to have it.

Since we have very limited counter space, we have a larger than normal table that sets up in the open area or against the counter. It works great for food prep.

Attached Thumbnails
Open door (Small).jpg   Interior (Small).JPG  
Old 07-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #39

Finally, this is what it is all about (for us). Although usually we have to hike at least a little bit to climb....

(To get this photo I actually tied off the rope leading to Betsy, ran and took the photo, then ran back and put her back on Belay)

Attached Thumbnails
Betsy BV 2 (Small).jpg  
Old 07-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #40

Love it! And a great parting shot. Where did you camp on Sonora Pass? (if you don't mind sharing). We were recently there and really loved that area, at least the less crowded parts of it.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote