Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #51

Re: And her name is Bivy...

This was the first weekend we really used the van like we imagined, and what a great vehicle for what our passion is.

8:00 pm - We pull into our reserved campsite at Tuolumne Meadows only to find someone has poached it. But we are going to leave early so we let them stay. We have a wonderful dinner at the table with a bottle of wine then immediately retire.

3:30 am - We are up kind of early and drive out to the Saddle bag trailhead. We start hiking with headlamps and it gets light just as we reach the climb. We climb the north ridge of North Peak, then the north ridge of Mt. Conness and have a wonderful day in the mountains.

4:00 pm - We are parked in the Lembert Dome parking lot. I take a shower and can't get out of the stall for a while because people are peering inside the van to take a look (at the van, not me). Even with a towel it just felt awkward.

4:15 pm - I crawl onto the bed and take a nap

6:30 pm - We eat at the T. lodge family style and meet some interesting and fine people

8:30 pm - We pull into the camp site and just plain go to bed. People around us certainly wonder if we ever step outside to enjoy the scenery!

7:30 am - We use the privacy curtains. Certainly better than a tent when people are around. Enough said.

8:00 am - We go back to Lembert Dome parking lot where it is beautiful and sunny and have breakfast at a picnic table.

10:00 am - We go climbing and park in a spot where a full size RV would fear to tread.

12:30 pm - We are on top of Penny Royal Arches dome, looking down at the van where the solar panels and batteries are keeping the water and beer cold, and where another quick shower awaits.

4:00 pm - Heading for home.

Awesome vehicle!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00479 (Medium) (Small).JPG  

flybikeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybikeski
This was the first weekend we really used the van like we imagined, and what a great vehicle for what our passion is..................

Awesome vehicle!
Yep, that's what's great about them. They seem to fit with a lot of outdoor passions!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #53

Hey, Flybikeski, I saw your van parked in Lee Vining the other day. Looks nice.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382
Hey, Flybikeski, I saw your van parked in Lee Vining the other day. Looks nice.
Thanks! We parked it there for a few days and flew home to work, then flew back to Lee Vining for more playing, this time down to Lone Pine to climb Lone Pine peak.

Here's Lee Vining airport, always a very busy place (not really, we were the only plane there).

Attached Thumbnails
DSC00505 (Large) (Small).JPG  
Old 09-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #55

At the Lone Pine campground with Lone Pine Peak in the background. The north ridge is the right skyline.

Earlier in the day, on the north ridge of Lone Pine Peak. The campground where the first photo was taken is in the green canyon in the lower right of the second photo.

Near Bishop, CA.
Attached Thumbnails
BV Lone pine (Small).jpg   BV Bishop (Small).JPG   Lone Pine Peak (Small).JPG  
Old 09-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #56
Site Team

Garage

Beautiful shots, I love that area.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #57

If the wings folded on the plane, you could tow it or put it on the roof.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #58

Looks Great! Similar to you, my wife and I climb too. I need you input please!!! How has the Sprinter EB been at some of the approaches? I like to go to Indian Creek and Clarks Canyon and wanted to know how the clearance and handling of the vehicle is.

I am toying with no plumbing, just electricity. I can use my Coleman stove for cooking. We were thinking of two passenger captains chairs for our kids. The back area by the rear door will be a space for a porta-pottie (wife's demand) and storage. The middle will be fold down bed with two fold down bunk beds for the kids.

We live up in Tahoe and need the extra insulation as we do some back country skiing and kid's ski race events. Do you recommend the diesel furnace or would electric heater be sufficient? On your trips during the Summer heat would you recommend the Danhard inside AC unit?

I like you rope sticker on the bottom of your Sprinter, where did you have that made?

We are looking to buy soon and just trying to get all the input I can. Much appreciated.
brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #59

Hi Brock,

We haven't taken it to Clark's Canyon yet, but have done high clearance roads. For example, the road to Queen Ann mine to hike Boundary peak is recommended for high clearance vehicles only and we did it with ease. I do have an inch or two extra. I put on bigger tires and I also added another leaf spring in the back which raised it and makes it so it can handle more weight. I didn't want the 3500 with dually tires as they don't do well in the snow.

I do have to slow down on rough roads now that it is built out. It is tall with lots of stuff in the back that rocks around.

Sportsmobile offers the super-deluxe insulation package which means, I think, that they use foil insulated tape to insulate and close off holes before they do the regular insulation. We got that but I haven't noticed where it has been done.

Haven't been through a winter yet but the Diesel furnace seems awesome! Expensive, but very nice. Electric you need a hook up. Propane just isn't going to last long with the smaller tanks on a Sprinter. But Diesel just cranks along off your main tank. We are definitely looking forward to some backcountry ski trips. Note that it doubles as electric which I didn't even know until after delivery. If you are hooked up there is an electric heater in the heat exchanger that comes on. Who knew?

We have used the diesel furnace for the hot water heater for some hot outside showers. Sweet!

We didn't get AC and so far haven't needed it. We have two fans and use them to keep it decently cool. We put window vents right next to the bed so you can use the fans to pull cool outside air across the bed. AC means generator and we don't have one of those either.

Don't kid yourself, a potty is handy. You are not going to be in the woods all the time.

Good luck. It is a fun process.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #60

Doesn't get much better than this.

Attached Thumbnails
Sportsmobile north coast (Small).jpg   Camping north coast (Small).jpg