Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #1

Another Conversion Option - Also may be able to rent one

I saw that these guys may rent their demo van also. Looks like they are doing SMB type conversions of Sprinter vans.

http://www.craftsmanvans.com/

Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #2

Re: Another Conversion Option - Also may be able to rent one

Looks like a direct copy/rip-off of Outside Vans/Van Specialties, but at a much lower quality level...
frostyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyone
Looks like a direct copy/rip-off of Outside Vans/Van Specialties, but at a much lower quality level...
What makes you come to the conclusion that they provide a "much lower quality level"? I'll admit that Craftsman Vans website is lacking in meaningful information, but the slick pictures of Outside Vans don't necessarily equate to a higher quality product. Also why do you think Craftsman Vans ripped off Outside Vans? Just because they both modify Sprinters? SMB modifies Sprinters, as do quite a few other RV manufacturers.

Herb
Old 10-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #4

Herb,

The general "theme" of the website, the slogan, the mention of Ikea cabinets, I dunno...it was just my .02 cents. I could be wrong? I have purchased absolutely nothing from either company and don't plan to...to each his own...
frostyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #5

I just saw a special on TV about these guys and thought I would post a link. The do Sprinter conversion. This link is for an "Off Road" version. Still needs AWD at least, but I hear that's coming next year maybe from Sprinter. I found some mention of this company on a couple posts here, but I hadn't heard of them before. Check out the sand ladder on the side of the van.

http://www.creativemobileinteriors.com/ ... rinter.asp
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #6

I find their term "extreme off road" a bit funny. By no means is that rig capable of negotiating much more than a fire road.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #7

Mike Hiscox, who had CMI do that conversion of what he calls his "Sprinter Expedition Camper", isn't under any illusions that it's an off-road beast (unlike Pall Halldorsson's 4x4 Sprinter with the 44-inch wheels, see http://www.4x4offroads.com/mercedes-ben ... nch-2.html).

Mike said:

“You can go a whole lot of places with two-wheel drive and I have not felt limited in my expeditions….the preferred way to drive on expedition is to go everywhere in 2WD until you get stuck, then use the 4WD to get unstuck so you can go a different way.. It’s more solid than I expected, and for forest service or BLM roads in good weather, I don’t know that it gives away anything to any stock truck of similar size. Good ground clearance, easy to steer, a turning circle much less than any pickup and most SUVs, and with the high driving position, very easy to place on a trail. And the inline 5 diesel has excellent plodding-along characteristics.

However, it is two-wheel-drive with no diff locks, so it doesn’t do that well with slippery…because mine has significant weight over the rear wheels, it does better than other Sprinters or unloaded pickups. And there’s room for chains, which will solve snow problems…Still, ask yourself how much time you really need to be in 4WD to do your travels. If the answer is “not much,” you might be very happy traveling in a Sprinter. It’s excellent off-pavement in decent conditions…”

I wrote up a post about it here: http://www.sprinter-rv.com/2010/11/2...dition-camper/, which includes links to his ExpeditionPortal forum postings where he describes his build in exhaustive detail.