Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #1

Audio 20 "Upgrade" junk

I originally posted this on the sprinter forums but wanted feedback from my sprinter SMB friends here as well.

ORIGINAL POST:

I have searched..... a lot of this before I decide to throw a $900 brick out the door. On the 2012 "upgraded" audio 20 with Bluetooth enabled, I am able to talk on my phone, and download contacts straight to the audio 20 all day.

I wanted to make sure I have done everything in my power to confirm that the audio 20 is NOT able to play audio mp3s, etc through the bluetooth before I ditch this unit into the abyss. I cannot for the life of me think of why MB would put this device in a sprinter and allow you to talk on your cell phone, but not use the audio channel of the bluetooth to play MP3s.

Toss it?

tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #2

Re: Audio 20 "Upgrade" junk

Any chance its just a USA software issue? On our Audis we did not have full hands free functions and a few other things that these cars have in other parts of the world. With a little reshearch I found some codes to change and now everything is working perfect. Maybe something like this...

Good luck...
...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #3

Hi Ultasport, thanks for taking the time to look that up on youtube. I was hoping it would be that easy to change.... but it was not. The audio 20 is still in junk status. At least I now know the correct phrase for the audio portion though (A2DP).

-tv
Old 10-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #4

I spent a little time looking online and I think you are out of luck, but you might call the MB dealer just to be sure.

I found this on the MB Sprinter site for the upgraded radio.

"Benefit/Remarks: The standard Bluetooth function allows hands-free use of a Bluetooth mobile phone"

To me that means Bluetooth phone calls but not streaming.

Its funny that the base radio seems to be able to do it like that YouTube video showed.

Can it stream your phone if it is plugged in?

If it makes you feel any better you do get more and better speakers it sounds like with that radio option.
Do you like the way it sounds? Do you like anything about it?
I would think you could sell it for a decent price if you wanted to replace it...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #5

Hi Jamie,

Truthfully, the speakers are pretty bad as well. My wife's 2001 Tundra has a good 2-3 times better sound then the stock speakers on the sprinter. I did not expect much out of the speakers considering this model van did come as a cargo van.

I am going to continue to see if I can find ways to pipe A2DP through the phone channel of the BT somehow. Maybe some special iphone app?

tv
Old 10-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #6

Audio 20 "Upgrade" junk

Tony,

If the sound 20 has an aux in then Logitech makes a Bluetooth adapter. Check out http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers- ... er-adapter This unit is AC powered but they may have a DC version. You may also be able to run off your house battery via your inverter but there here might be interference. I have one hooked up to my Bose Sound Dock using the aux in port at home it works beautifully. Good luck.

Brian
ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #7

Ecopco,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah this very expensive head ($900 "upgrade") unit lacks all of the following features you can find in most new cars/trucks nowadays:

- No audio input
- No A2DP for the Bluetooth
- No fancy key combination to enable A2DP (Ultra did have me excited with the video he found)
- No ipod / USB adapter
- No external connector on the back of the head unit for adding a ipod/audio kit (I also contacted isimple, and they stated they are not making connectors for this model)
- Not even a "tape deck" where I could use one of the old school casset adapters

I have two choices from what I have seen so far, use a wireless FM transmitter ( Which I hate ) or remove/sell the unit.

tv
Old 10-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #8

I did some more searching tonight and came up with this device from the uk:

http://www.comandonline.co.uk/mercedes_ipod_ntg2.5.html

Looks promising. I found another thread where a guy with a 2011 sprinter had a head unit close to mine:

http://www.mbguru.com/questions/2448-me ... ation.html

More investigation to take place.

Another link:

http://www.mbguru.com/audio-navigation/ ... inter.html
Old 10-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #9

Audio 20 "Upgrade" junk

Tony,

How much can you sell the Audio 20 for? Maybe it's better to just get another head unit. I have a Kenwood DNX 8120 (discontinued) that does just about everything except HD Radio. It has XM Radio, XM Weather/Traffic, iPod, Bluetooth including streaming mp3, etc. the best feature in my option is the rear cam (sold separately) that comes on when you shift into reverse. I'm spoiled now because every time I get in a car and put it in reverse I instinctively look at the dash first before checking my mirrors.
ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #10

That will more than likely me the next step to have it ripped and upgraded. I am just worried that I may lose the steering wheel integration so need to be careful on how I upgrade. I do need additional speakers and perhaps a small amp thrown under the gaucho as the stock speakers are pretty bad and I only have three total in the dash with no base.