Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #1

Axle Weights?

Our build is in process: 2018 2500 144 4x4 R150S, poptop, 2 solar, aluminess rear with deluxe box+ladder+bars, upgraded wheels and tires, espar, larger water tank, etc. Very similar to a number of your Sprinters!

We have a shop prepping our VC suspension and were wondering if anyone has their axle weights and would share for comparison?

SMB-W estimated 3650# for the front axle and 4200# for the rear.

Thanks as always!

barrel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #2

The Sprinter GAWR is 3,970 lbs. front and 5,360 lbs. rear, total GAWR is 8,550.lbs.

Do you have plans for other additions? VC skid plates, winch on the front, or??? How much "stuff" do you plan to carry?

Many fully built and fully loaded Sprinters are at or over GAWR.

SMB's estimate for the empty van (I think they are a bit low, sorry again I didn't follow my own advice and weigh the van as soon as it rolled out the door) has you at 7,850 lbs. 8,550 - 7,850 leaves 700 lbs. for passengers, provisions, tools, fuel, gear and etc. It adds up fast.

I suggest you have Mark and Rob at Van Compass set you up with Fox shocks tuned for GAWR front and rear. I also suggest you spend the additional money for the adjustable shocks in the rear.

You will be amazed at the ride improvement and how well the suspension handles the weight. If you are anywhere near the San Francisco Bay Area come on over and find out how it feels.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:14 PM   #3

Fitz, why do you recommend the adjustable rear shocks?

2018 Sprinter 4x4 RB150S w/PH Lithium Build ("Starr Van")
Pictures of some Starr adventures (starting in 2019): https://rick.samcos.com/galleries/
rsamco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsamco View Post
Fitz, why do you recommend the adjustable rear shocks?
There are 9 “clicks” of adjustment. For normal driving conditions mine are set on 6. When I carry a load; think mini bike hanging off the rear receiver, loaded utility trailer pulled behind, a bunch of Laura’s rocks in the back, the canoe on top, and etc., I can dial up the shocks to better carry the load. I believe 8 is as high as I have gone. Conversely, when on bumpy or washboard gravel roads I dial the shocks down to 2 or 3, and when going offroad they are set all the way down to zero. The next step in the process is to air down, when I do that I am typically at 20 in the front and 25 in the rear.

It is amazing how just adjusting the shocks down will smooth out a bumpy road.

Try it, you’ll like it!
Old 03-16-2019, 07:32 PM   #5

Weights

Thanks Fitz, I was actually asking about weights ahead of a VC suspension install. Glad you like yours! We will be installing the VC skid plates and integrated winch at the same time and the build will be complete, at least for now!
barrel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel47 View Post
and the build will be complete, at least for now!
Complete? HAH! There are far too many of here with the goal of helping you to spend your money....