Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #11

Planning to sleep widthwise, I'm 5'9" and wife 5'6". Hopefully it won't suck. If it's too small that will be our daughters bed and we'll move upstairs (she'll sulk because she really likes the penthouse but I'm used to it).

joesulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:39 PM   #12
GAR

Sleeping widthwise is Ok, but at 5-9 you’re pushing it. One thing to consider is that when sleeping widthwise you’re going to be touching if you sleep on your back or ya need to stretch. I initially had my bed set up that way, and it was just not comfortable, especially with the pillow, which needs a little room of its own (you’ll see what I mean). I have a Chevy, with no insulation, so I have max room widthwise (more than the Transit), but it still was not enough.

I now have the bed lengthwise and its awesome comfort wise. As to sleeping upstairs, have fun with that. Ive heard it said that the Penthouse bed is Ok for newlyweds, not so fun for folks that have been married long. YMMV.

Gar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:01 PM   #13

Thanks for the input. Our approach has always been...

1) better than a tent
2) better than sleeping in a car
3) flexibility and simplicity are key
4) daily driver with ability to haul kids safely
5) if we want full comfort we'll AirBnB a place
Old 02-16-2018, 10:30 PM   #14
GAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesulak View Post
Thanks for the input. Our approach has always been...

1) better than a tent
2) better than sleeping in a car
3) flexibility and simplicity are key
4) daily driver with ability to haul kids safely
5) if we want full comfort we'll AirBnB a place
Lots of folks here speaking wisely from their own experience, but you seem to have it all figured out already. If your backup plan is “AirBnB,” why even bother asking this community for their input?

Gar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:10 AM   #15

FlareSpace is always an option for sleeping sideways in a Sprinter. I would agree that placing a sideway bed lower than window level would probably be uncomfortable. But, raising the bed to window-level wouldn't be very feasible in a rear dinette setup without raising the floor. Although, that would also some some storage.

FLARESPACE

I certainly can appreciate a layout that is primarily for touring. That's how I use mine too. Basic camping setup, and when I want something fancy I drag the trailer along.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAR View Post
...you seem to have it all figured out already. If your backup plan is “AirBnB,” why even bother asking this community for their input? Gar
I do not see it that way at all. It seems to me that he has asked politely for advice and given consideration to that advice. He has not responded negatively to anything.

Joe, you are welcome to ask for advice here at any time, and it also is your prerogative to decide which part of that advice helps your situation and which part doesn't.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #17

Ah, didn’t see from your original post that you are adding a Penthouse. Doesn’t help much with storage, but will make sleeping much more doable. We have a Ford van with a rear dinette similar to what your designed and it works well for us sleeping crosswise at 5’8” and 5’3”. Not sure if you can do it ina Sprinter, but our Ford has the SMB inset Wall option that gives an extra few inches in each side, which is nice. It also allows for storage behind the cushions when the dinette is in sitting mode and adds a surprising amount of room. We store 3 pillows and 3 stuffed sleeping bags behind the cushions. It’s “found” space. You lose insulation there, but it hasn’t bothered us. Also, in your plan, instead of having separate boards to make up the bed base, just have the dinette seat and backs slide out from both sides to make up the bed, and you don’t have to worry about attaching boards to the walls.

If you plan your electric carefully and don’t have a water tank, you’ll have a fair amount of storage under your dinette benches.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
I do not see it that way at all. It seems to me that he has asked politely for advice and given consideration to that advice. He has not responded negatively to anything.

Joe, you are welcome to ask for advice here at any time, and it also is your prerogative to decide which part of that advice helps your situation and which part doesn't.
Thanks TomH! I was previously trying to clarify my intended use so everyone was on the same page. I definitely didn't try to imply I have it all figured out, I wouldn't be on here if I did.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Ah, didn’t see from your original post that you are adding a Penthouse. Doesn’t help much with storage, but will make sleeping much more doable. We have a Ford van with a rear dinette similar to what your designed and it works well for us sleeping crosswise at 5’8” and 5’3”. Not sure if you can do it ina Sprinter, but our Ford has the SMB inset Wall option that gives an extra few inches in each side, which is nice. It also allows for storage behind the cushions when the dinette is in sitting mode and adds a surprising amount of room. We store 3 pillows and 3 stuffed sleeping bags behind the cushions. It’s “found” space. You lose insulation there, but it hasn’t bothered us. Also, in your plan, instead of having separate boards to make up the bed base, just have the dinette seat and backs slide out from both sides to make up the bed, and you don’t have to worry about attaching boards to the walls.

If you plan your electric carefully and don’t have a water tank, you’ll have a fair amount of storage under your dinette benches.
BrianW, that's a ton of help! Makes great sense, thanks for the input! I'm going to copy that and shoot it to my SBM rep.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
FlareSpace is always an option for sleeping sideways in a Sprinter. I would agree that placing a sideway bed lower than window level would probably be uncomfortable. But, raising the bed to window-level wouldn't be very feasible in a rear dinette setup without raising the floor. Although, that would also some some storage.

FLARESPACE

I certainly can appreciate a layout that is primarily for touring. That's how I use mine too. Basic camping setup, and when I want something fancy I drag the trailer along.
Exactly! I hadn't thought of it as a touring van but that's precisely what we're doing with the build. We travel a lot and just needed something with more room and more options when we don't want to get a place for the night. Thanks for your input!