Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2017, 09:53 PM   #21

Thanks to you both for your prompt and detailed responses. From what I read, my situation will be more like wrinkledpants' than kcshoots'. I did not know about SMB's D5 option, but, combined with the factory engine heater, it sounds like what I'm looking for. Thanks also to David Elmore (David Elmore home page) for his idea on a hot water return line to get hot water to the sink/shower without running any excess down the drain.

I still have a couple more questions if you have time to answer them:

With the H88 option and a heat exchanger to bring in heat from the engine, how does the system know when to pump the glycol to heat the coach if you are not turning on the D5? Does the Rixen system just take care of it for me?

My biggest concern is keeping the water system from freezing when it is -10 and I am not using the van for a few days. We often go out for a few days in winter and then park for a day or two, then go back out. I do not want to have to empty the water lines each time I stop for a couple days. My design keeps the entire fresh water system in the left-rear of the van allowing for all water components to be inside the coach. There will be nothing in the walls or floor. But, I still need to keep things from freezing. Can I keep the coach at about 40 degrees or so using the D5/Rixen system? For this purpose, diesel fuel would be preferable, but the 110v system could be used.

And one more thing: Both of you are planning to use the induction cooktop and microwave. What do you consider "plenty of battery power and a big enough inverter?" I will also have A/C needs for summer in Arizona.

Thank you again for your valuable ideas.

mbf_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #22

Engine coolant is always flowing through the heat exchanger unless you put in some type of valve under the van to shut it off. You'll still need to operate the rixen system like you would if you were parked and engine was off.

If you use the engine integration, then you have three sources of heat. D5 (rixen controlled), 110V (rixen controlled), and engine heat (always on when engine is running).

You can route the coolant lines anywhere you want - like around the water tank to keep it from freezing, or near water lines.

You can run the AC, cooktop, and microwave at the same time if you're plugged in to shore power. You're not going to be able to run all three off the inverter and battery power without the engine running or generator. Even then, you're going to need giant inverter. I only plan on using AC when the engine is running or on shore power. Or, for short periods on battery power (though we'll have lithium batteries). We don't plan on using the microwave much, or at the same time as the induction cooktop.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #23

Check out their site. Has a bunch of schematics and the MCS5 manual is the operating manual for the control panel.

Sprinter and Class B & C RV System Information
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:32 AM   #24

System Design & Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcshoots View Post
There is a MB factory option that will...Let me know if you want more details. This system can be installed by my company or others. Happy to help.

Hi kcshoots, you mentioned you have a company that does these hydronic systems? I'm in Truckee and looking at Eberspaecher's S3 Economy (D5E) and VVKB's Apollo-C1 for:

1 a - engine preheating
b - windshield defrost (maybe)

2 - cabin heating via
a - liquid-air heat exchange (HE) and "super-quiet" fans
b - in-floor radiant (maybe)

3 - domestic hot water via liquid-water HE

I'm partial to the idea of using one heating fluid for the whole circuit where the engine coolant (EC) is included for 1a,b (engine off) and residual heat capture (engine on or off), or excluded (engine off, parked.) Can the EC be used when the engine running? Can the hydronic heater's liquid pump and then engine pump work in concert?
You mention using electronically control valves for including/isolating the EC: Do you just T into the radiator lines? Have you got all these switching operations into a programmable (remote) control or app ?

1b seems like it would be difficult with an aftermarket system like this. Can the defrost fans be accessed without the key turned?

Can I contact you directly or do you have website?
tashi.herzmark@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #25

YouTubers Snow and Curt used an Espar heater to heat shower and sink water through a heat exchanger. Some of the design aspects are discussed in this video:
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote