Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2017, 10:40 PM   #1
IPT

CR Laurence worth it?

Boy, so for the money is it worth it to have these windows being only one pane opens? Maybe the is just on the passenger side, but still, that doesn't seem like a lot of ventilation for the cost. Nothing that some rain guards on the front window and scene couldn't accomplish, or am I missing something?

I understand it's easier to install in the blank wall so I need to decide if am going with factory windows (way cheaper too) or aftermarket. If you have them would you do it again? (I also under stand fitment is hit or miss as well).

IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:52 PM   #2

I have mixed feelings.

First on the ventilation. I love this style window because the upper portion is unobstructed, and the lower portions can be opened varying amounts, during rain/snow/wind etc and it's reasonably private and secure still. Yes the passenger side on the slider only has one opening panel. I don't see a window that would get you much more ventilation unless you install a domestic/seitz style acrylic window. Im not interested in having such a small opening that someone from outside could simply lift wide open. The CR Lawrence still provide plenty of ventilation, and should be great with a roof fan ejecting hot air and pulling fresh air from the side.

Fit isn't great. It isn't as simple as "cut inside the lines of the interior body panel. It required a lot of extra trimming and grinding. I got them in a little snug the first time and they were noisy as hell. I had to cut them out wider before they were finally quiet.

You probably seen that looking out from the inside, they seem a lot smaller than the outside does.

At the end of the day, yes I would still install them again for my layout and usage. The kids need to see out, I need to have windows open when it's wet and windy.

View looking outward.
Untitled by Brian Wilson, on Flickr

A simple "shortcut" style CR Lawrence would be much easier to install. It would be smaller and just clamp to a single outer panel of sheet metal.
Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:49 AM   #3

What do you mean by factory windows?
Do you have a passenger or cargo? If cargo, which cargo doors have fixed or tilt out windows?
Do you have a pop top or stock roof or ??
Old 10-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #4

After spending the summer with our stock sprinter crew van windows — we replaced both sides with CR Laurence awning windows. (I hadn’t realized only half the window on the slider side would open though. So maybe in retrospect we only needed to replace one side to start with). We’ll also have our maxfan now as well.

We found it sucked trying to just use the cab windows for ventilation. Your mileage may vary.
Pritikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #5
IPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
What do you mean by factory windows?
Do you have a passenger or cargo? If cargo, which cargo doors have fixed or tilt out windows?
Do you have a pop top or stock roof or ??
It's going to be a high roof Crew van. Kids will be in bench. Factory windows that come with the crew do not open for ventilation (I don't think except maybe for an emergency?) Low Roof with poptop -orignial plan does not really seem to be a viable option for anytime in the near future (if ever again with the Sprinter at least).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianjwilson View Post
I have mixed feelings.

At the end of the day, yes I would still install them again for my layout and usage. The kids need to see out, I need to have windows open when it's wet and windy.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pritikin View Post

We found it sucked trying to just use the cab windows for ventilation. Your mileage may vary.
Thanks
Old 10-26-2017, 11:38 AM   #6

I had 4 CR Laurence awning windows installed on my 2016 Sprinter (144" high roof). Although the passenger side window openings are restricted, I get more than enough ventilation with 2 Fan-Tastic fans. I especially like the openness of looking out all the windows. Being able to vent the windows when it is raining is a plus.

No regrets, would do it again.
Mer1039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:25 PM   #7
IPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mer1039 View Post

No regrets, would do it again.
Thanks. Looks like most if not everyone feels that it was worth it so it seems like the way to go.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:10 PM   #8

Let me know which CRL windows you are looking at and if you have a lower 48 shipping address. I might be able to save you a little bit ��.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:57 PM   #9

Garage
I have CR L windows in my SMB and love them. Opening two is adequate ventilation for a Ford van interior. They provide visual security and are air and H2O tight. After over ten years, they still operate just fine and look good. If they cost more (more than what?) it's because of quality and function.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:42 PM   #10
IPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
If they cost more (more than what?) it's because of quality and function.
Cost more than the factory option of the fixed windows . Certainly it's the function that justifies the expense. I understand that ones that don't quite close flush (that people call a fitment issue) is really just hit and miss.