Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #1

Direct TV or Dish?

Anyone have an opinion of going with Direct TV or Dish for their Sportsmobile.
I am having a Sprinter 170 4x4 decked out with a TV and have Comcast at home but need to go with Direct TV or Dish for the Sprinter. Which one is better for traveling? Anyone with experience on this would be appreciated as I have no idea.

Sterno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #2

We had Dish for quite a while and then gave it up because a we were doing things other than watch TV. Signal was good and no problems with customer support. AT&T acquired Direct TV a few months ago so you can count on them trying to sell you a phone package with the TV.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage
Check out what sat dish you want...some support HDTV, some don't. Be sure to research what works in Canada if that matters to you. Do you want a portable antenna or hard mount it to the vehicle? Some are multi purpose and work while driving which might be nice. Also one of the carriers has a plan where you activate the service of a month to how ever long you want it. During the off season when the RV sits you don't have to pay. My buddy has just gone through this. He has Direct TV and is using the receiver from his house with an older VuQube antenna. Kind of a hassle at first to learn how to set it up but he bought it from another one of our buddies for 100 bucks and he's finally got the setup down. Some of the newer antennas are more automatic in operation. As far as programming, they seems to be fairly similar at least Direst & DISH but I have neither at this time and will let those who actually have these providers post on who is the best. I hear complaints from friends about both of these main providers.
Some info can be found here:
VuQube Mobile Satellite TV Antenna for Truckers, RVers

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #4

I installed a HTIB (Home Theater in a Box) and watch blu-ray movies at night. There are lots of systems to choose from, so I went for the one with the smallest speakers. The subwoofer is under the rear bench seat, where I sit when watching a movie. It's quite effective when there's a sudden loud noise, like an unexpected explosion! Just another option to consider, but not so good for keeping up with the latest sporting events.
SteveTOaks is offline   Reply With Quote