Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #11

Re: Don's Sportsmobile build

K9Sprinter, thanks for the photo's of the van, looks like it's getting close to completion!

It looks like the color of the counter top is white/tan, it was specified to be oynx, what color was installed when you took a look at the van?

Jage,
I'll have to take a look at the actual fit of the scooter, maybe a different size tank is in order?

DonMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:08 AM   #12

Its onyx,,,, Paul said he will send you better pictures later. The custom shower looks fantastic and was changed to onyx
k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #13

Finally got the Sportsmobile home this past weekend, it was an enjoyable drive from Austin to my home just south of Conroe, Texas. The A/V system is very enjoyable to listen to with the upgraded Kenwood DNX9990HD head unit pushing into a JL Audio XD7005 Amp driving the JL Subwoofer and door and rear speakers. It does take a little some adjustment sitting high and close to the front of the vehicle when driving, but its amazing how the vehicle does not seem as large after a few miles. Trip home was about 140 mile, MPG indicator on dash provided for an overall trip mileage of 20.8 mpg, impressive for a first tank, maybe it will improve after some breakin miles? The build had one significant issue that had to be resolved, and this has been taken care of by the SMB TX folks, everything else met or exceeded my expectations.

When I got it home, of course I wanted to try out the new Honda 2000i (the interior has a vented box to store this little gem). It starts/powers the A/C unit easily, it seems like the inverter supplies the power required for the initial startup of the A/C and then the unit switches over to the genset. Sweet, just as advertised.

A couple of photo's of the interior, one without counter extension and pantry deployed and one with. We will be using a small butane stove/electric skillet when cooking on this surface. The couch converts to a 48" by 69" bed.

Here's what I call the "stack", convection oven/microwave, refrigerator, A/C A coil with the Espar unit located at the bottom. To the right is a closet with the Honda vented storage unit on the bottom compartment. To the right of the cabinet is a 24" x 36" combo bath unit.

Here's what the A/C, Espar and Inverter/Charger controls look like:

As I mentioned earlier, this van is outfitted to allow for easy entry using the Braun Under Vehicle Lift (UVL) and it also has a 6 way power passenger seat. This has allowed for easy transfer from the scooter/cart into the passenger seat. The bath room toilet has a transfer seat, and with it being close up front works perfect. Here's the power seat, it powers up/down, left/right and forward/rear.

The batteries, 17 gallon fresh water tank, and inverter/charger as well as a space for the Travel GoGo is all located under the couch. A hard barrier has been put in place between the scooter and the water tank for abrasion protection.

We take our first road trip this weekend, a day trip at first, and then we will need to take an overnight trip to test everything out!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #14

Is there a restroom.If so,what is the setup.Tank sizes etc...
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #15

stanw - Yes there is a bathroom, includes a 6 gallon blackwater tank and also has a 15 gallon grey water tank, these have the conventional drain arrangement where you dump the black water tank, and then close the blackwater tank valve and drain the grey water tank to rinse the sewer hose. These valves and hose fitting are located under a panel on the drivers side running board. The sewer hose is in a storage tube under the van in the same location.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #16

Don's Sportsmobile build

Don,
This is one of the nicest RB Sprinters I've seen SMB do. Congratulations on taking delivery! Please keep posting about you build. I'm interested to see how you like the Danhard. What's in the space between the fridge and the microwave? Could you fit a larger fridge there if desired?
ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #17

agree with ecopco - very nice build. congrats!
adapting this RV to your special needs in such a compact area is amazing. great design!
looking forward to hearing a field report down the road.
enjoy your travels!
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #18

Wow!

I had to go back and check to see if this was an RB! The layout for accessibility is absolutely amazing!

That toilet/shower is very nice. The whole thing really looks functional and comfortable.

What are your plans for use?

This build again shows that Sportsmobile can turn out a really nice product that is custom tailored to someone's very specific use without breaking the bank (I hope) going to a fully custom builder.

Good luck.

Chumley
Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #19

Don,

I was looking for the Danhard AC, scanning the ceiling, but didn't see it.
I do see the Fan-Tastic Vent.
I was under the impression the Danhard's all hang from the ceiling but taking a look at their website they have different options, like cabinet mount, which is very cool (no pun intended) if you don't want to crack your head on this thing if you're tall.
Rechecked your pics and is that it under the fridge as a cabinet mount? That is a great location and as you said a stealthy way to add AC to your rig. I really like that. If you have access to shore power and it's a warm evening this would be a welcome amenity for some good sleep.

Thanks!
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #20

To answer a few of the questions... the space above the refrigerator is a storage cabinet, a larger refer could have been installed, but we opted for the storage. The Danhard "A" coil is located in the same cabinet as the refer/microwave, high enough off the bottom of the floor to allow for space for the Espar heater, the A/C ducts can be seen below the microwave.

Our intended use is the transportation around town, as well as a once or twice a year travel vacation, we are off to Banff/Jasper/Revelstoke National parks in June. We wanted it outfitted so we could boondock in the national parks if wanted, I think that we managed to get that accomplished. Can't wait for the roadtrip!

Here's a short video showing how the remote controlled door opener/UnderVanLift work through a cycle:
[youtube][/youtube] http://youtu.be/9hXByBnLioU

Thanks for the compliments, we are still working out a few kinks with SMB TX, but getting close. Not crazy about having to make the 6 hour round trips to get all the bugs worked out, but at least we are still close enough that it's doable, and the guys at SMB have been responsive to my concerns. There really is a lot of "stuff" in one of this RB size van, and figured it would take some adjustments to get everything just right.